Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
they had no business winning round 1 last year and it was time to move on from Pavelski in my opoinon. Their salary cap composition also didn't make sense to keep Joe Pavelski unless he was willing to take a Labanc like contract. they also gave up a lot for Karlsson so if he didn't sign him, it wouldn't look to good for the sharks.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Nope

Should have signed EK, sold high on Meier for young players on ELCs, prospects and picks, and re-signed their captain using the cap space opened up.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Pavelski was the only veteran with leadership qualities. Good thing they have Couture Hertl and Meier in the pipes because when you look at everybody older than them they are all complacent salarymen.

Reactions: aemoreira1981

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
they had no business winning round 1 last year and it was time to move on from Pavelski in my opoinon. Their salary cap composition also didn't make sense to keep Joe Pavelski unless he was willing to take a Labanc like contract. they also gave up a lot for Karlsson so if he didn't sign him, it wouldn't look to good for the sharks.

They already have an offensive minded defenceman. Karlsson is redundant on that team.

Karlsson is lost defensively. Don't care how many points he gets, he is not someone you win with if he's out there against other teams best players. He can't be sheltered because the Sharks really don't have any great defensive defenceman, and no Vlasic isn't it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
They already have an offensive minded defenceman. Karlsson is redundant on that team.

Karlsson is lost defensively. Don't care how many points he gets, he is not someone you win with if he's out there against other teams best players. He can't be sheltered because the Sharks really don't have any great defensive defenceman, and no Vlasic isn't it.

what's wrong with having more then 1? it's so impeccable to have an offensive dman. this costed the Sedins couple more 90 point seasons because they never had a legit offensive dman until Ehrhoff came. That will be like saying Meir is useless since they already have Hertl. It's called "depth" Karlsson over Pavelski any day.

Reactions: bh53

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
The Sharks probably shouldn't have moved past the 2nd round either.

But as far as Pavelski is concerned, he was THE Avs killer. He always seemed to find a way to stick it to the Avalanche, and now he plays for a division rival. At least for me, the Sharks have lost some mystique without him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yes as individual players. If you want to win Pavelski >>>>>>Karlsson.

Guys like Pavelski is easier to come by then offensive weapons like Karlsson. You also have to understand the difficulty of obtaining guys like Karlsson vs getting players like Pavelski. No shot against Pevelski btw, as he is a great leader, but Karlsson all the way.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
what's wrong with having more then 1? it's so impeccable to have an offensive dman. this costed the Sedins couple more 90 point seasons because they never had a legit offensive dman until Ehrhoff came. That will be like saying Meir is useless since they already have Hertl. It's called "depth" Karlsson over Pavelski any day.

Forwards are different. Having 2 average defensive guys who love to pinch is not a recipe for success especially when you are very shallow defensively with the other 4 guys and do not have a lot of 200 foot forwards.

I think Sharks don't make the playoffs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like Pavelski a lot. Drives offense and is one of the best PP scorers in the league.

That said, there's so much mythology on this site about Pavelski. He's not a center. He's not good defensively. People talk about him like he's Kopitar.

Yes, you're losing some goals losing Pavelski but you're not losing this driving force.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm with ya OP- I'm a huge Karlsson fan but I worry about tying up so much money in a guy who unfortunately gets hurt a lot. I'm normally the first guy to say "sign the younger guy" but Pavelski has motored on and produced.. Karlsson has been less consistent as of late. I'm hoping he returns to form, but one sloppy pass to Burns and they're already out there for a goal against.. it's one goal, but he just doesn't look great tonight. And it's a massive unmovable contract- Pavs woulda been shorta term, win now. I guess I'd rather have Pavs' 30 goals, 60 points for 2-3 years with 4 mil+ left for another D-man rather than putting everything on one dman.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Forwards are different. Having 2 average defensive guys who love to pinch

having 2 superstar dmans that can produce is a recipe for success actually.

nd do not have a lot of 200 foot forwards.

I'm not saying Sharks don't need Pevelski, trust me, but it's just time to move on, sharks also didn't have the cash to pay him.

I think Sharks don't make the playoffs.

they will be fine in my opinion.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, Karsslon has been on the ice for one goal against so far. Like, how does losing Pavelski turn into Karlsson-bashing.

I'll admit that Karlsson isn't as good defensively as the analytics people have said but he's also not nearly as bad as his detractors want him to be.

Reactions: BHD and Dirty Dog

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Also, Karsslon has been on the ice for one goal against so far. Like, how does losing Pavelski turn into Karlsson-bashing.

I'll admit that Karlsson isn't as good defensively as the analytics people have said but he's also not nearly as bad as his detractors want him to be.
Since you posted this 15 minutes ago Karlsson has now been on the ice for 3 goals and directly responsible for last 2 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad