Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
The biggest mistake was letting go of their C and bringing back Marleau. I guess the Shark wanted old blood again. They may as well bring Mike Ricci out of retirement too.
Pavelski: $7Mx3y 5GP (0G, 1A)
Marleau: $700Kx1y 1GP (2G, 0A)

Karlsson has definitely not played up to expectation, or his ability, but lets be real, Pavelski is 6 years older and has struggled plenty this season as well.

Both guys will step it up as the season goes on, but lets be real, Karlsson is the much better player, with the better years of the career left.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Watching Karlsson attempt to play defense last night was sad.

He should do the Sharks a solid and just retire because it's obvious he doesn't give a crap anymore.

Reactions: Sentinel

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Nope. Karlsson hasn't been great this year and Pavelski will be missed, but Karlsson is in his prime and a legit superstar whereas Pavelski is near the end of his career. If Karlsson continues to disappoint, that's a separate conversation. Letting Pavelski go was the right move, imo. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pavs, especially as he made his mark as #3C in (IIRC) the 2010 playoffs. He's just not Karlsson good.
Karlsson is a superstar? I don't want any superstars on my team then.

Reactions: Sentinel

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Karlsson simply can't play defence. Sharks are going no where with him eating so many minutes.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yes. EK cannot even skate at an NHL pace anymore and was always a average at best defender in his own end. Seven yrs after this at 11.5 million, may turn out to be the worst contract ever.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Nope. Karlsson hasn't been great this year and Pavelski will be missed, but Karlsson is in his prime and a legit superstar whereas Pavelski is near the end of his career. If Karlsson continues to disappoint, that's a separate conversation. Letting Pavelski go was the right move, imo. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pavs, especially as he made his mark as #3C in (IIRC) the 2010 playoffs. He's just not Karlsson good.
Karlsson is way past his prime, it has nothing to do with his age. Injuries have taken their toll on him.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They've both look bad. It's just that EK makes so much more money and has 7 more years attached to him. Looking at things now I think SJ would be better off having let EK walk and keeping Pavs just because of the contracts.

SJ better be praying to the hockey gods because if this is truly the EK that exists moving forward that contract is going to handcuff the team for many years to come. He looks awful.

Last edited:

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Karlsson destroyed what was left of his skating on that incredibly fortunate playoff run to the ECF, he's a shadow of his former self now. Sad to see, in hindsight it would have been better for him to rest and heal.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah this is great. Watching San Jose suffer while simultaneously being happy for the Sens will be a season long rooting interest for me. Keep sucking Jack Sparrow!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Pavelski only looks bad this season cause he has changed teams. Sharks offense and PP revolved around him it felt like, but more importantly they had players that could get him the puck for deflections and whatnot. Stars haven't been able to do that. He'd be producing just fine if he was still in San Jose

Sharks defense would still be bad too

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Karlsson might be losing his defensive game.

Kind of want San Jose to fall last place because I want the Sens to succeed eventually, that is as long as Melnyk is gone sometime in the future. Also, hopefully the Sens win both picks one and two, and draft Lafreniere and Byfield.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Pavelski is such a big game player, I can’t believe the Sharks let him walk

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Too bad EK costs so much otherwise I would just play him on the PP and dress 7D, 11fwds ha.

It' a misconception that Karlsson's main asset was PP ability.

If anything, he was underwhelming at the PP, compared to what he accomplished at even strenght.

This is during his tenure in Ottawa, which I followed closely.

SJ Karl is not what he used to be. Not even close.

Reactions: Sureves

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pavelski is such a big game player, I can’t believe the Sharks let him walk
Probably because he scored as many points as Joe Thornton (who most around here say is done lol) at 7 mil per. Just not worth it to the Sharks with their current cap and structure.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Not at the time and not now imo. I dunno who many saw SJS regression unfolding this year the way it did. Karlsson is not the problem there, although his contract is mortgaging the future, and losing their pick is brutal. Everyone had a down year and they need better goaltending and maybe coaching, nobody was able to right that ship after it got off course, their whole regular season said "mentally weak" to me. They folded hardcore

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->