Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
lol, Ray Davis was born 6 weeks after James Cook.
Also, he’s 5 months older than Greg Rousseau.
Dewayne Carter is about 6 months younger than Greg.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Generally liked day 3 - I can almost taste the tears from the mouth breathers who are no doubt still freaking out about WRs.

Davis:
To be honest he wasn't my first choice for getting a back (Estime was). I'd have also taken TJ Tampa here given that he was my BPA & a very good fit. Grabbing a back made sense though given the run on them. Don't know much about him but seems to be more of an all rounder thsn a short yardage hammer.

Van Pran:
Probably my favourite pick of the day. They needed to draft a C & this guy was not supposed to be on the board at this stage. I could see him being a day 1 starter if the McGovern experiment doesn't work.

Ulofoshio:
One of only two picks i didn't really like. Tough because i know nothing about the player - but seems to project as a STer. I didn't see LB as much of a need. I was annoyed at Ainias Smith going a few picks earlier.

Solomon:
Another one i really liked. I'd looked into him after their meetings with him (these are the lower round guys I tend to do more research on). Needed a faster / more explosive pass rusher to add to the mix even if he isn't an every down player.

Grable:
Didn't really like this pick. Nothing against the player - he's really intriguing. But i doubt he's a candidate to make the roster & another team could grab him on waivers. I would have tried to trade for another '25 pick here.

Hardy:
They absolutely needed a good returner & after Smith went off the board this guy might have been the best one available. He should make the roster based on this alone - so it's a worthwhile pick.

Clayton:
@HOOats gets the credit for this one. Being English i obviously love it - but looking at it objectively i don't know how you can hate it, given the IPP roster exemptions. The fact he was there in Detroit meant that somebody was going to draft him, i doubt he'd have been available as a UDFA. Rooting HARD for this guy to make it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Generally liked day 3 - I can almost taste the tears from the mouth breathers who are no doubt still freaking out about WRs.

Davis:
To be honest he wasn't my first choice for getting a back (Estime was). I'd have also taken TJ Tampa here given that he was my BPA & a very good fit. Grabbing a back made sense though given the run on them. Don't know much about him but seems to be more of an all rounder thsn a short yardage hammer.

Van Pran:
Probably my favourite pick of the day. They needed to draft a C & this guy was not supposed to be on the board at this stage. I could see him being a day 1 starter if the McGovern experiment doesn't work.

Ulofoshio:
One of only two picks i didn't really like. Tough because i know nothing about the player - but seems to project as a STer. I didn't see LB as much of a need. I was annoyed at Ainias Smith going a few picks earlier.

Solomon:
Another one i really liked. I'd looked into him after their meetings with him (these are the lower round guys I tend to do more research on). Needed a faster / more explosive pass rusher to add to the mix even if he isn't an every down player.

Grable:
Didn't really like this pick. Nothing against the player - he's really intriguing. But i doubt he's a candidate to make the roster & another team could grab him on waivers. I would have tried to trade for another '25 pick here.

Hardy:
They absolutely needed a good returner & after Smith went off the board this guy might have been the best one available. He should make the roster based on this alone - so it's a worthwhile pick.

Clayton:
@HOOats gets the credit for this one. Being English i obviously love it - but looking at it objectively i don't know how you can hate it, given the IPP roster exemptions. The fact he was there in Detroit meant that somebody was going to draft him, i doubt he'd have been available as a UDFA. Rooting HARD for this guy to make it.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the Davis pick. Johnson did fine is the role the Bills are drafting Davis to play. I would’ve rather had Vaki, who would’ve been a core special teamer who could play defense and running back.

VPG was a great pick. Amazing value.

Not a huge fan of the Grable pick. I really wanted Rice at that point, who was the best player in the board by 3 rounds worth of value.

Clayton was smart. He’s in the IPP so he won’t get plucked off the PS. And he’s got Jason Peters level athleticism. Good pick.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

“If we could get Deebo here for under that, I’d do it,” he said, tongue in cheek. “But I don’t think that’s realistic. You’re looking at all these new deals, whether it’s his name or someone else that’s potentially on the trade market. Look at all these new deals recently. They’re hovering around $30 million (per season). So, trying to fit that in with everything we’re doing, I’m not sure if it is reality right now.”

Seems like all the more reason to take multiple shots at WR in what was called a deep draft at WR.

Again, why not just draft another WR instead of signing this guy?

So Cephus was the one they worked out. There is your speed element
Is he known for speed? I thought I read he ran a 4.6 40?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Seems like all the more reason to take multiple shots at WR in what was called a deep draft at WR.

Because the reality of rolling the dice on a 4th-7th round WR in this draft is that it really isn't much of a difference?

I just think some are being short-sighted and so intently focused on this seasons WR room, when Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, (X) with Kincaid/Knox/Cook can get it done with Josh. That's my opinion at least.

And there still is post June 1 option to replace the (X) (Chark, Boyd, Hardmn etc etc who will probably be more likely to contribute this season than another rookie).

They also have a boatload of picks next year and a lot more cap to play with to address WR, whereas that 2nd WR picked this year might not even be around for long big picture wise. That's my take.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

I think I might be wrong, there was a wide out on the Lions a few years ago who was pure speed, didn't get a lot of looks... My bad

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Just looking at the 2023 draft picks and UDFA signings

Dalton Kincaid, O'Cyrus Torrence and Dorian Williams are all still Bills and played NFL last year.

Justin Shorter was hurt all last year but is still a Bill.

Nick Broecker is a Texan
Alex Austin is a Patriot

Those are the draft picks...

Bryan Thompson, Tyrell Shavers, and Richard Gouraige are all still Bills

Jalen Wayne is in the CFL
Jordan Mims is on the Saints
DJ Dale is UFA
What about Noah Henderson? Is he still a Bill?

Can we expect Justin Shorter or either of those other two practice squad WRs from last year to emerge and become relevant this year?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I would’ve stayed at 32 and took Legette. I think he’s a better receiver than Coleman.

I’m not Beane and don’t have a scouting staff. But Legette is way more explosive than Coleman, and the Bills could’ve used him. Between him, Samuel, and Shakir, they wouldn’t really have a set X, Z, or slot. Which I think would’ve been a great set up.

I see Coleman as Colston and Thomas in New Orleans. If we start seeing Beane add a bunch of speedy receivers around Kincaid, Knox, and Coleman, we’ll know that he’s drafting to what Brady plans to implement.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think the vast majority of people are putting FAR too much importance on 40yd times.

It was mentioned on the draft broadcast - but while Coleman set one of the slowest 40yd times at the combine - he also set THE fastest time of anyone in the Gauntlet drill - which is probably a better indicator of success at the NFL level. He also timed pretty well in all the route drills according to the GPS data. If you want a precedent for this... Puka Nacua did something very similar last year.

Someone needs to find him a decent barber now he's in Buffalo though... :laugh:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I would’ve stayed at 32 and took Legette. I think he’s a better receiver than Coleman.

I’m not Beane and don’t have a scouting staff. But Legette is way more explosive than Coleman, and the Bills could’ve used him. Between him, Samuel, and Shakir, they wouldn’t really have a set X, Z, or slot. Which I think would’ve been a great set up.

I see Coleman as Colston and Thomas in New Orleans. If we start seeing Beane add a bunch of speedy receivers around Kincaid, Knox, and Coleman, we’ll know that he’s drafting to what Brady plans to implement.
While I prefer Legette’s style, I think Coleman is a much better prospect, if for nothing else their ages. What was Legette up to when he was Coleman’s age? If not for getting an extra year because of Covid, Legette doesn’t even get drafted.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don’t put any importance on the 40, every skill player in the league can run fast and it’s all very close to the same fast. I want the guy who can be tricky and creative on the way to catching the ball every time, and I think Keon is that guy. I think Ladd is that guy too, we should have packaged a few picks to go back to back Keon and Ladd, we would all be partying hard right now.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think the vast majority of people are putting FAR too much importance on 40yd times.

It was mentioned on the draft broadcast - but while Coleman set one of the slowest 40yd times at the combine - he also set THE fastest time of anyone in the Gauntlet drill - which is probably a better indicator of success at the NFL level. He also timed pretty well in all the route drills according to the GPS data. If you want a precedent for this... Puka Nacua did something very similar last year.

Someone needs to find him a decent barber now he's in Buffalo though... :laugh:
Maybe we’re looking in different spots, but I’m not seeing a lot of people complaining about Coleman’s 40 time. I am seeing a lot of straw manning about 40 time though.

Coleman wasn’t a great separator in college. Doesn’t mean he can’t get better and it doesn’t mean he’s slow. It is a concern, though. For me, that’s one of the biggest red flags for a receiver. But if Beane thinks they can fix that, he’s an otherwise very exciting player profile.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
While I prefer Legette’s style, I think Coleman is a much better prospect, if for nothing else their ages. What was Legette up to when he was Coleman’s age? If not for getting an extra year because of Covid, Legette doesn’t even get drafted.
I was curious, so decided to do a comparison myself for all the QBs that went in that range.

Games
Age 18Age 19Age 20Age 21Age 22
Worthy121314RookieNFL 2
Legette116111312
Coleman101212RookieNFL 2
McConkeyRS15159Rookie

Receptions
Worthy626075RookieNFL 2
Legette9781871
Coleman75850RookieNFL 2
McConkeyRS315830Rookie

Yards
Worthy9817601014RookieNFL 2
Legette80113631671255
Coleman50798658RookieNFL 2
McConkeyRS447762478Rookie

Touchdowns
Worthy1295RookieNFL 2
Legette10137
Coleman1711RookieNFL 2
McConkeyRS572Rookie

Reactions: Gabrielor

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It’s not a great WR corps at this point but it low-key wasn’t great beyond the names through the end of last year, and the Super Bowl winning crew wasn’t great either. Still would like to see some more talent added but so it goes

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Because the reality of rolling the dice on a 4th-7th round WR in this draft is that it really isn't much of a difference?

I just think some are being short-sighted and so intently focused on this seasons WR room, when Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, (X) with Kincaid/Knox/Cook can get it done with Josh. That's my opinion at least.

And there still is post June 1 option to replace the (X) (Chark, Boyd, Hardmn etc etc who will probably be more likely to contribute this season than another rookie).

They also have a boatload of picks next year and a lot more cap to play with to address WR, whereas that 2nd WR picked this year might not even be around for long big picture wise. That's my take.

I still think another body may be coming. If one of Shakir or Coleman goes down with even a minor injury, plus there's rotating guys in and out (See Diggs playing 45-65% of snaps very often), then you've got 3rd and 7 and you have Samuel Hollins and Shorter on the field to get it done.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don’t put any importance on the 40, every skill player in the league can run fast and it’s all very close to the same fast. I want the guy who can be tricky and creative on the way to catching the ball every time, and I think Keon is that guy. I think Ladd is that guy too, we should have packaged a few picks to go back to back Keon and Ladd, we would all be partying hard right now.
No we wouldn't.

(see previous discussion with @Jim Bob at the top of the thread)

Making that type of move would have been an instant vote of no confidence in Coleman.

I like that Beane had conviction in their pick & decided to fill the other holes in the roster which the mouth breathers have decided to ignore all along.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I still think another body may be coming. If one of Shakir or Coleman goes down with even a minor injury, plus there's rotating guys in and out (See Diggs playing 45-65% of snaps very often), then you've got 3rd and 7 and you have Samuel Hollins and Shorter on the field to get it done.
I guess thinking about it in terms of what we've replaced in terms of snaps:
  • Davis -> Coleman
  • Diggs -> Samuel
  • Shakir -> Shakir
  • Sherfield -> Hollins
  • Harty -> ????? (155 snaps)
Obviously it won't be a 1-to-1 anywhere, but Harty's snaps not being replaced (in addition to asking Coleman and Samuel to take on that many snaps being a big ask, even if Shakir's role grows) certainly seems like a hole at WR4/5. There's certainly guys that could compete for it, but a more real veteran option would be nice, especially someone with speed. Looking at free agency:
  • Renfrow (slot only)
  • Robinson (slow)
  • OBJ (probably uninterested in being a 4)
  • Gallup (I like it if he's cheap)
  • Boyd (slot only)
  • MVS (one trick pony, but does that trick well)
  • DJ Chark (I like it if he's cheap)
  • Hardman
  • Goodwin

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I really don’t watch a lot of college football or study draft prospects so I am not very knowledgable when it comes to these players. But everyone seemed to agree that this was a great WR draft. Numerous analysts even said it was the deepest in years. I guess I just figured when they traded down it would be to take multiple shots at a WR. I figured it was a good draft to double dip at the position.

I was good with the trade down. Draft studies have shown it’s the smart play. The more darts you have, the better chance you hit a bullseye. And with the Bills needs at WR short and long term, I wanted them to throw a couple darts.

I thought there was some really good WR’s on the board at #95 (like Troy Franklin and Tez Walker). I would have rather went WR vs. drafting a 3T DT that I assume will be a backup to Ed Oliver. I know we needed a DT though.

Seems like Beane was higher on some of the young WR’s they already have (shorter and shavers) than what was available in the draft. Time will tell if he was right…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad