Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Forwards are different. Having 2 average defensive guys who love to pinch is not a recipe for success especially when you are very shallow defensively with the other 4 guys and do not have a lot of 200 foot forwards.

I think Sharks don't make the playoffs.

Only way sharks don’t make the playoffs is if jones can’t find his old form and win his usual 30-35 games

EK will continue to be an elite offensive dmem whether you like or not.

Reactions: Phu

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Only way sharks don’t make the playoffs is if jones can’t find his old form and win his usual 30-35 games

EK will continue to be an elite offensive dmem whether you like or not.
Jones isn't the problem. He's played well first 2 games but the Sharks allow so many scoring chances. They're clueless defensively.

Reactions: Sentinel

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wonder what EK has done that makes people want to make this type of thread multiple times in the beginning of each season. They never age well.

he's just not the kind of defenseman some people like and they don't deal with it very well

if he magically grew a couple inches and started hitting people more often but also became a worse skater and lost half his passing ability he would probably be way more popular around here

Reactions: Slimmy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
IMO the days of the Sharks making the playoffs every year and winning a round or two are over.

I don't think the decision to sign Karlsson and letting their heart and soul captain is getting enough attention.

I think the Sharks made a big mistake.

I think you are wrong here, although I wouldn't really have wanted to sign Karlsson to such a long contract but did they really have a choice?

The Sharks have young emerging scorers in Hertl (26) and Meier (23) and Joe is 35 this year.

Put another way the Sharks top 9 is still much better without Joe than the Sharks D would be without Karlsson.

Reactions: Phu

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
he's just not the kind of defenseman some people like and they don't deal with it very well

if he magically grew a couple inches and started hitting people more often but also became a worse skater and lost half his passing ability he would probably be way more popular around here

I love EK, but he looks awful right now. In his prime he used his skating to take the puck away and get it up ice- idk if it's DeBoer and the game plan, early season jitters, or if he's actually lost somethin, but when he's bad he's really friggin bad. I'm rooting for it to be different, but if he's lost a step most of what he does on defense is lost. I think it's a little early season struggle and he'll look better, but long-term I just don't like the move. Asking a lot of him to live up to how he played in Ottawa, I just don't know if he'll ever dominate like he did for a time with them.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
They already have an offensive minded defenceman. Karlsson is redundant on that team.

Karlsson is lost defensively. Don't care how many points he gets, he is not someone you win with if he's out there against other teams best players. He can't be sheltered because the Sharks really don't have any great defensive defenceman, and no Vlasic isn't it.

But but but KaRlsSon and BuRns puT uP SoOoO MaNy poInTs

Reactions: Ghetty Green

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I love EK, but he looks awful right now. In his prime he used his skating to take the puck away and get it up ice- idk if it's DeBoer and the game plan, early season jitters, or if he's actually lost somethin, but when he's bad he's really friggin bad. I'm rooting for it to be different, but if he's lost a step most of what he does on defense is lost. I think it's a little early season struggle and he'll look better, but long-term I just don't like the move. Asking a lot of him to live up to how he played in Ottawa, I just don't know if he'll ever dominate like he did for a time with them.

The Sharks signing him was pretty dumb... in hindsight. Someone was bound to pay him but its clear that his injuries affected his play. I don't see him enough live to comment on his skating, but a almost-ppg defenseman who carried a whole team on his back doesn't become "horrendous" from one season to another without something significant happening... like maybe an Achille tendon injury???

Now, Karlsson is paid to be a game changer, a franchise alterning player. Seems like he will still be agreat defenseman but not the force that we saw early in his career (3 years or more ago!!!)

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Not a chance, dude. Blues would have steamrolled them anyways.

Lol the Blues are probably one of the worst teams to ever win a cup, wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs. The Sharks would steamroll the with a healthy lineup.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We'll do the Sharks a favor and trade Pavelski back to them for Karlsson.
But only if they Take Cogliano too, ya know to make the cap work and not because he's a horri-bad hockey player or anything

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
We'll do the Sharks a favor and trade Pavelski back to them for Karlsson.
But only if they Take Cogliano too, ya know to make the cap work and not because he's a horri-bad hockey player or anything

I know you jest, but if that deal were offered.. retain Cogliano and you have a deal. Not his contract, just, y'know, keep Cogliano. As to EK- 11.5 aav until 2026-27 when he's 36 is gonna be horri-bad.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I said 2 years ago that Karlsson's body is shot and that he would never be what he once was, ever again.

Also, SJ is a bad fit for him, style wise.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I know you jest, but if that deal were offered.. retain Cogliano and you have a deal. Not his contract, just, y'know, keep Cogliano. As to EK- 11.5 aav until 2026-27 when he's 36 is gonna be horri-bad.
yeah but a d-core of
Heiskanen-Karlsson
Lindell-Klingberg for the next few years would be amazing

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
yeah but a d-core of
Heiskanen-Karlsson
Lindell-Klingberg for the next few years would be amazing

In theory, but I'm tellin ya- EK ain't the same guy he used to be. It's 2 games, maybe he shakes it off and returns to form, but I feel like Sharks have made a huge mistake. Hurt, inconsistent, bad D- we all remember Ottawa EK, and I don't think he's that dude anymore, at least not to start the season.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
EK 65 has looked far worse in his own the 2 games he played. Shys from physical contact and is out of postion leaving the slot wide open.
Talk about troll post. He just became a father after losing his son two years ago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3