Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why do you say that about Dubois?

He is playing as expected. The guy is a borderline 2nd/3rd line center that averages 40 points a season

Laine went from one bad situation (as he perceived), to a even worse situation (Tort)

Unlikely he will return next season. Probably traded again in the offseason

A bunch of people overrated Dubois and claimed that he was a 1st line center even though he was on pace for 55 pts last year. Yes I know he didn't have a lot of offensive support in Clb and they play a defensive style but you should still be putting up better numbers than that if you're a legit 1st line center.

PLD is literally posting numbers almost identical to his career averages (only including Jets games) when you take out him just riding shotgun to Panarin. Overrated for sure but still only 22 and has shown the potential to be a 2-way guy. I don't see #1C in him but he should be a highly capable #2C and by no means a bust.

Laine is a guy I'm truly worried about because he's been given all the opportunity in the world and reminds me of an Alex Semin type player. One of the most talented in the World but just doesn't have the drive needed to succeed on a consistent basis. Will still go through streaky stretches when he's feeling it and score 10 goals in 5 games only to then put up 1 point in 10 games. There's a reason Roslovic was added to the deal and this is why.

As of now I'd say I feel better about it from the Jets' perspective.

I think all of these takes are wrong. This is a huge step back for Dubois. He's never been an all-situations scorer but he was great at 5v5. Have a look at his 5v5 scoring rates by season. He goes from 2.22 P/60 with Panarin to 2.01 last year with often bottom-six linemates (more impressive) and then falls off a cliff this year with 1.40 P/60.

2.0 P/60 and up is what you expect from a #1C, Scheifele is usually right around that 2.0 P/60 mark. 1.4 P/60 isn't passable for anyone in a top six role, especially if they play with Jets-caliber wingers.

Reactions: LokiDog and Monk

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?
What do you mean "loose, loose"? You mean it should be tight?

Reactions: Faterson

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Because Dubios had Torts as a coach, so nobody blames him for wanting out. :)

It was hard for Laine to gel with his teammates when he insulted one in the offseason.

Ehlers says hello.

When teammates you might mean?
Wheeler?

Sorry what was the insult?

Cbus1979

Jan 18, 2014
The ironic thing is I believe Torts style benefited Pld..I don't think Pld is a good fit for a wide open offensive style..Laine has a much higher upside imo.It will be interesting..I also believe Laine has a higher trade value right now.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Both teams hands were forced when the opportunity came up. They HAD to pull the trigger. There was not going to be another trade opportunity where an equal size single piece value was coming back for their player who wanted out and had to be traded.

How it all pans out we shall only see after a few years. I still call it a win-win since both won just by finding the trade.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I wonder how many of the loosers complaining about the spelling are able to fluently express themselves in more than one language.

On topic: It does seem like a lose-lose so far. Both teams got more production out of the player they had than the one they acquired. Still early though, as some have pointed out.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think 10 year olds can spell better than this.

I bet you can spell Finnish, Swedish and German better than I can english? I can also make myself understood in thoose languages. Sometimes you can actually spell something wrong if its not in your native language. I just left it there so all you ppl, who like to mock ppl:s spelling come out. It`s actually more embarrassing for you than for me.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
From the moment that trade was made, I was wondering who thought that "Patrick Laine" and "John Tortorella" would be a good mix.

Jarmo must have been high as a kite when he made that trade. Unless he plans on letting Tortorella go pretty soon.

Yea it should have been Dubois for Danault. Torto loves the hard workers.

member 298589

Who do we think ends up looser after being used for the season?

Laine from Torts or PLD from Wheeler and Sniffly?

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Winnipeg's top-6 is stacked so they can afford getting rid of one guy + they needed a center, so I'd say the trade at least didn't hurt them in any way.

Columbus really took a hit on losing their 1C, so I'd say this is a loss for them.

Individually both Laine and Dubois lost in the trade.

Laine probably would've continued to produce at around ppg pace, but can't do it with the lesser line mates and overall messy system of cbj.

Dubois went from a franchise center to a 2/3C in winnipeg.

Both will most likely make less money on their next contract than what they would've if they stayed with their teams

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I didnt correct is just so all you 10yr olds can complete ignore what the thread is about and only focus on spelling.
Pretty sad that a 10 year old can spell lose but you can’t. Also “is” should be “it” and “complete” should be “completely”. You’re welcome.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I bet you can spell Finnish, Swedish and German better than I can english? I can also make myself understood in thoose languages. Sometimes you can actually spell something wrong if its not in your native language. I just left it there so all you ppl, who like to mock ppl:s spelling come out. It`s actually more embarrassing for you than for me.

Must you be so loose-tongued.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have not been unsurprised by Laine’s struggles in Columbus. I think most people saw a bad fit. It’s hard to gauge anything right now because I don’t think he stays there long, unless Jarmo has spoken to him (Finnish connect?) about Torts moving on after this season and trusting him to bring in some offensive talent this summer.

I have been surprised that PLD didn’t turn it on when he got to Winnipeg. I thought he’d be an amazing 2C behind Scheifele, with the quality wingers he’s never really had and out of the situation he was unhappy in. I think I need to see what next year brings with PLD but if he isn’t looking significantly better, that’s a head scratcher for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad