Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Truthfully I didn't think either player other than Roslovic were going to a place that was a good fit.

Dubois was going from a place where he was the man. Even if he was struggling they didn't have a lot of other weapons to try. He then goes to WPG that has a deep group of forwards. Down the middle they are strong with Schiefle, Stastny and Lowry(who really stepped up when needed), there winger group was strong and then you have the emergency of Appleton and Copp who also can play center. So realistically it wasn't the best fit for a guy that was going to want playing time.

On the flip side of it you have Laine going from a coach who is apparently a very good communicator, but still couldn't figure it out at times in WPG. Then he goes to Torts who doesn't take shit and sometimes does things that players don't understand.

It's still early though and things could change, but it was obviously a trade where both GM's needed a good return for a good player. Maybe not the right fits, but they did get good returns.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
New players don’t always fit in right away like a glove.

I think PLD will become a good player for the Jets especially come playoff time.

Laine isn’t done, but obviously wouldn’t work well in a Torts run team (I love Torts btw).

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?

Yes it was a loose-loose. Terrible trade from day one.

Laine has no real Centres in Columbus to feed him so he's useless, and PLD is a serious downgrade on Laine for Winnipeg. Brutal.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Laine under Torts was never going to work.

Dubois is overrated but is a useful player. Probably tops out as a good 2C. His attitude throughout the whole ordeal just left a bad taste in my mouth though. Easy for me to say, I don't play under Torts, but if you want to be a millionaire playing a game you might have to put up with shit sometimes.

Reactions: DeysArena

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Even ignoring the facts that Puljujarvi plays on McDavid's wing, is having his best season, and that Tkachuk and Dubois are having their worst seasons he still has the worst PPG average among the bunch lol

Puljujarvi: 0.46
Tkachuk: 0.66
Dubois: 0.54

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Everyone needs to pump the brakes on judging this trade for a variety of reasons (in season trade, quarantine). Laine and Torts have two games left together, then Torts walks his dogs into the sunset. Dubois might have a career trajectory like Couturier, where he doesn't hit 1C numbers until he's 25.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Laine under Torts was never going to work.

Dubois is overrated but is a useful player. Probably tops out as a good 2C. His attitude throughout the whole ordeal just left a bad taste in my mouth though. Easy for me to say, I don't play under Torts, but if you want to be a millionaire playing a game you might have to put up with shit sometimes.

Expected a lot more from Dubois to be honest. Winnipeg is an easy team to accumulate points in (as we saw during Laine's stay in there), but Dubois hasn't really been an impact player at all.

Even this version of Laine would probably still be pacing 30 goals and 60 points on the Jets. They are strong on power-play and it's not difficult to get assists off of players like Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler, etc who are strong finishers on their own.

Even ignoring the facts that Puljujarvi plays on McDavid's wing, is having his best season, and that Tkachuk and Dubois are having their worst seasons he still has the worst PPG average among the bunch lol

Puljujarvi: 0.46
Tkachuk: 0.66
Dubois: 0.54

In fairness he was playing a lot in the bottom 6 earlier on in the season. In the last dozen or so games, Puljujärvi has been scoring well. And his ability to defend has obviously been much improved, to the point where McDavid doesn't have to worry much about anything other than his offense, because he has got Pulju doing a lot of the gritty work.

I doubt he will ever be a huge scorer but he might be able to impact the game in other ways, mainly by just having a lot of hustle.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Jets fire Maurice, CBJ doesn't extend Torts. Jets hire Torts and Maurice gets hired by Columbus.

All will be right then.

The old boys club carousel continues, lol the sad thing is i could actually see that happening.

I think over time Winnipeg will edge out Columbus with this trade, Laine is just a one trick pony that can't seem to get it together, Dubois i feel has a bigger toolbox and will at least be a 2nd line center.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I dunno I’d reckon Winnipeg is pretty content with Dubois. Columbus less so with Laine but so much can change if Torts doesn’t come back and they can re-sign Laine.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think over time Winnipeg will edge out Columbus with this trade, Laine is just a one trick pony that can't seem to get it together, Dubois i feel has a bigger toolbox and will at least be a 2nd line center.

Roslovic has what it takes to be a 2C too though, and has value as a local kid in Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad