Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?

Why do you say that about Dubois?

He is playing as expected. The guy is a borderline 2nd/3rd line center that averages 40 points a season

Laine went from one bad situation (as he perceived), to a even worse situation (Tort)

Unlikely he will return next season. Probably traded again in the offseason

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Legit question:

Why Laine has this reputation as a player with terrible personality issues, because he reportedly didn’t gel with every teammate, but Dubois gets ZERO flack for literally quiting on his team so that everyone watching saw?

Because Dubios had Torts as a coach, so nobody blames him for wanting out. :)

It was hard for Laine to gel with his teammates when he insulted one in the offseason.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
A bunch of people overrated Dubois and claimed that he was a 1st line center even though he was on pace for 55 pts last year. Yes I know he didn't have a lot of offensive support in Clb and they play a defensive style but you should still be putting up better numbers than that if you're a legit 1st line center.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Both teams seem worse. Laine on the 4th line on a team with no centers. PLD has been a lot worse than expected. Roslovic seem like the best player traded as of now.
I fully expect CBJ would have been a better team with PLD and WPG with Laine. Thoughts?
I think the Jets will win, just by the fact that I never thought Laine would stay in CBJ even if things went well, and I never thought things would go well lol.

There was a really great article on The Athletic for anyone who’s got it, interviewing multiple unidentified former recent players who left on good terms, about how CBJ was run from the top down, how they felt there, what attracted and disinterested guys, etc and what they’d do as GM to keep stars from leaving/get them to sign

One interesting takeaway, all of the player liked Torts overall even though they acknowledged he wasn’t perfect they liked his bluntness/honesty

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
A bunch of people overrated Dubois and claimed that he was a 1st line center even though he was on pace for 55 pts last year. Yes I know he didn't have a lot of offensive support in Clb and they play a defensive style but you should still be putting up better numbers than that if you're a legit 1st line center.
I still see him as a legit first line C prospect. Trades aren’t won or lost in 30 or so games. He’s only 22 and he’s shown potential, and he’s not the only player to have an off year in this funky covid season

I’d be farrrr more willing to be real money the PLD will improve and be a solid/great center eventually before I bet on Laine succeeding in CBJ... or ever staying in CBJ

that alone, if PLD stays longer in Winnipeg then they won already lol

Reactions: Pucklington

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All players involved are under 25, playing in the middle of a pandemic, moving from one country to another, with teammates/teams they don’t know. It is way way way too early to call the trade anything right now.

HF boards at its finest.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I still see him as a legit first line C prospect. Trades aren’t won or lost in 30 or so games. He’s only 22 and he’s shown potential, and he’s not the only player to have an off year in this funky covid season

I’d be farrrr more willing to be real money the PLD will improve and be a solid/great center eventually before I bet on Laine succeeding in CBJ... or ever staying in CBJ

that alone, if PLD stays longer in Winnipeg then they won already lol
Projecting him to be a 1st line C is fine, but people were claiming he already was one.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pulju has more goals this year than Dubois, Tkachuk, and Laine.

Funny how that works eh?
Almost as if he is playing alongside the best player in the world!

There is not a GM in the league that would choose Pulju over the other three players.

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Oh my god I’ve never wanted a thread title fixed so badly in my life lol

Loose/lose and choose/chose are the most irritatingly frequent mistakes i see:shakehead

Reactions: mattihp

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
PLD is literally posting numbers almost identical to his career averages (only including Jets games) when you take out him just riding shotgun to Panarin. Overrated for sure but still only 22 and has shown the potential to be a 2-way guy. I don't see #1C in him but he should be a highly capable #2C and by no means a bust.

Laine is a guy I'm truly worried about because he's been given all the opportunity in the world and reminds me of an Alex Semin type player. One of the most talented in the World but just doesn't have the drive needed to succeed on a consistent basis. Will still go through streaky stretches when he's feeling it and score 10 goals in 5 games only to then put up 1 point in 10 games. There's a reason Roslovic was added to the deal and this is why.

As of now I'd say I feel better about it from the Jets' perspective.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
You have totally missed the point here. Pulju is valuable for his huzzle, forecheck and backcheck, not the points. He is everywhere on the ice and also screening goalies. Puljujärvi is ost likely a better option for the Oilers, because the main thing he does is creating space for the others and relentlessly is disturbing opponents play. I doubt PLD or Laine would have the same impact albeit they are more talented with the puck. Someone has to retriewe it too...
PLD and Tkachuk both create space. Laine is the only one who wouldn't but even then given his skill, he would be extremely successful on that line. Everyone here is downplaying Puljujarvi's improvement but seems to be forgetting how good those other players are and how much better they are than Puljujarvi.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a weird year, wait until all of those players have a normal year of play before writing them off.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I got killed in a thread a few months ago when I said Dubois wasn't a 1C and wasn't an elite-franchise C

To me, you can't label someone a 1C, and especially not an elite-franchise C, when their best season is 27 goals and 61 points.

Just because they are young and they theoretically have the potential for improvement, doesn't mean you can label them as 1C before they actually show it.

He still has time to improve as he is still young. But he has always given me Matt Duchene type vibes. Talented, but with questionable work ethic and questionable consistency.

Reactions: Jovavic

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Legit question:

Why Laine has this reputation as a player with terrible personality issues, because he reportedly didn’t gel with every teammate, but Dubois gets ZERO flack for literally quiting on his team so that everyone watching saw?

I agree, PLD should be viewed way worse actually
Weirdly though, in interviews and whatnot Dubois has not seemed at all like a problematic guy so maybe there was something else going on there
Laine doesn't really deserve the flak he gets though - if there even was anything in the room (which is unconfirmed, and we know he was BFFs with Ehlers at least) everyone was very professional about it
As far as I can tell he primarily didn't like Maurice's usage of him, which I agree with.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I got killed in a thread a few months ago when I said Dubois wasn't a 1C and wasn't an elite-franchise C

To me, you can't label someone a 1C, and especially not an elite-franchise C, when their best season is 27 goals and 61 points.

Just because they are young and they theoretically have the potential for improvement, doesn't mean you can label them as 1C before they actually show it.

He still has time to improve as he is still young. But he has always given me Matt Duchene type vibes. Talented, but with questionable work ethic and questionable consistency.

True, although he seems pretty good so far
Laine has similar issues I guess with regard to becoming a 1W so the trade made some sense there

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
From the moment that trade was made, I was wondering who thought that "Patrick Laine" and "John Tortorella" would be a good mix.

Jarmo must have been high as a kite when he made that trade. Unless he plans on letting Tortorella go pretty soon.
Laine and Tortorella were never going to be a good fit.

But with the Dubois situation what it was, then what else was Columbus actually going to get in a trade?

They were dealing with no leverage. Dubois 100% had to go. Things had deteriorated so much.

I was surprised when they got Laine for him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why do you say that about Dubois?

He is playing as expected. The guy is a borderline 2nd/3rd line center that averages 40 points a season

Laine went from one bad situation (as he perceived), to a even worse situation (Tort)

Unlikely he will return next season. Probably traded again in the offseason

PLD’s expectations were and still are 1b/2a. That’s what he was (successfully) in Columbus. You’ve lowered the bar substantially.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->