Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Laine would have been better than PLD on the Jets this year, but I think PLD will still be great long-term, and Laine I'm sure will pick it up again at some point.
Jets are throwing away their window. Stastny and Wheeler have peaked and this would have been the easiest year to get to the final four.
Trading for PLD instead for a #1D is questionable, too.
And…PLD is a potential C but atm he is a worse winger than Laine (for the Jets).
The only smart part of the deal is Roslovic for a pick.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
I think both players will rebound next season at least somewhat. They both had a rough start to the year and Dubois had to miss two weeks while he completed quarantine. Dubois will do better than Laine just because he's on a better team.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets are throwing away their window. Stastny and Wheeler have peaked and this would have been the easiest year to get to the final four.
And…PLD is a potential C but atm he is a worse winger than Laine (for the Jets).

By all accounts there was no #1D available in return for Laine without a significant add that hurts the Jets future.

I'll be more worried about both players if they keep up this poor level of play next season.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Not overpaying for a #1D at the deadline was probably the biggest mistake. Chevy must have felt we just don't have it this year to go for it, which is disappointing as I think this could have been one of the best teams we've had with a D upgrade. And to be fair there could have been almost nothing available. PLD playing to his potential makes this team scary even with poor D, but when the whole offense looks terrible, it's a disaster. Stastny was just a filler so him aging is not a big deal. Wheeler getting old sucks. But we also have Perfetti coming, Vesalainen has looked good this past week, and we have young D coming up. Jets are in good spot for the long term.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Both teams bred coaching changes badly. I will riot IF Jets dont make a change this offseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Jets have an awful dressing room with Scheifele and Wheeler there and the Blue Jackets are essentially a bottom 5 team in the making. Both players would be much better if they went to some respectable teams

Reactions: Husqvarna

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think this trade has exposed both players a bit. Laine is a bit of a malcontent and is heavily dependent on ideal circumstances for him to perform and PLD, while a competent all-around player isn't exactly the kind of player you build around. Combine he and Scheifele and now you have something!

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't see how Winnipeg lost.

They got their 2C that they've needed for years, their top 2 lines can now provide a well balanced attack
They aren't lacking on forward depth, they have a lot of offense still.

Reactions: Guardian17

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Plus minus ... zero.

A handful of ... nothing.

Zero the hero:

Like the combination Black Sabbath/Deep Purple back in the 80's day.
Good on paper ... live not so much.

Patrik Laine seems to hate Columbus (I understand him!) and Pierre-Luc Dubois is nowhere to be seen in windy Winnipeg.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Loose-loose? I see you have met my ex.

Just kidding, just kidding. My ex hates hockey.

Anyway, Laine is a one dimensional scorer playing for Tortorella. Dubious has had some injury issues and inconsistency. Both teams are likely looking for new coaches after this season. I wouldn't write anyone off yet. Some guys take time to adjust, and some guys don't work well with Torts.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Legit question:

Why Laine has this reputation as a player with terrible personality issues, because he reportedly didn’t gel with every teammate, but Dubois gets ZERO flack for literally quiting on his team so that everyone watching saw?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I still like this trade for Columbus. Smart move getting Roslovic thrown in, which I'm sure was only possible because the player was looking for a change of scenery. CBJ has taken a lot of hits to their roster due to UFA, not as a result of this trade, which actually gave them more depth IMO

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Legit question:

Why Laine has this reputation as a player with terrible personality issues, because he reportedly didn’t gel with every teammate, but Dubois gets ZERO flack for literally quiting on his team so that everyone watching saw?
Good ol' canadian kid.

Reactions: CBJx614

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
You should probably watch him play.

JP has looked like a monster all year. I was a huge doubter, just didn't see anything in his play, but wow... he has transformed into a force. Skating, decision making, patience, physicality, and shooting on the move. He's a damn good player now.

Before he was just kind of an unguided lose cannon.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
JP has looked like a monster all year. I was a huge doubter, just didn't see anything in his play, but wow... he has transformed into a force. Skating, decision making, patience, physicality, and shooting on the move. He's a damn good player now.

Before he was just kind of an unguided lose cannon.

Yes. He's been great 2 way player. Maybe only a 20-20 guy, but he's a turnover machine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad