Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If you want to come to an English board, and engage in English, wouldn't you want to know the rules of the language?
Plus its giving a poor example, of how to write it.

I wish you and others well in this endeavour.

LOL Classic

Imagine making fun of spelling in a post, and talking about learning the english language, then proceeding to have spelling mistakes of your own in your post.

So take your own advice chief

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Too early but it aint lookin good so far lol. I want to see Laine put in good work not sure Clb is the place tho. Maybe once Torts is gone?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Any chance Laine moves to a new season this summer? As an RFA, there has been very little talk about his next steps. Considering his past, I would imagine he is already dreaming of greener pastures and I wouldn't blame the Jackets for hoping that happens also.

Really a bummer overall as I was a big Laine fan. Hope he finds his way in this league.... If not, will be remembered as one of the biggest falls from grace ever.
It's possible he gets moved, but unlikely. If he's able to bounce back with an actual offseason and actual practices to work with, the potential reward is really really awesome - something a lot of folks recognize or else they'd have given up on trying to trade for him at all. We're first in line for that possibility, though, so we wouldn't have good reason to trade him UNLESS we're getting another, bigger need addressed elsewhere. The only one of those, though, is a top-6 (preferably top-line) center who can handle the heavy minutes while Roz and Tex and Foudy and to some extent Domi step up their games.

So we'd need someone who believes enough in Laine-on-their-team to be willing to trade us one of the most desirable classes of assets in the NHL. It's... not a likely outcome.

EDIT: Well, okay, there's also the "overwhelm us with value" option w/r/t high-quality blue-chip futures, but that's probably even less likely.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Any chance Laine moves to a new season this summer? As an RFA, there has been very little talk about his next steps. Considering his past, I would imagine he is already dreaming of greener pastures and I wouldn't blame the Jackets for hoping that happens also.

Really a bummer overall as I was a big Laine fan. Hope he finds his way in this league.... If not, will be remembered as one of the biggest falls from grace ever.

I think there's a 100% chance he moves to a new season this summer. No way he stays stuck in the 2021 season forever.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I think there's a 100% chance he moves to a new season this summer. No way he stays stuck in the 2021 season forever.

Patrik Laine paljastaa IL:lle – ei lähde MM-kisoihin: ”En kestä yhtään jääkiekkoa nyt” - "Laine not going to the WHC"

- "I am not going this year, my mental state is such that I cannot stand hockey now".
- "If 10 means heavy frustration, I am at 100000".
- "I just could not reach the level I should have".
- On not having a great center: "I won't blame others, it is no-one else's fault. I have to play well, regardless of who is next to me".
- He had no problem with Tortorella. "I was benched when I did not play well".
- "I am in no hurry to leave Columbus, there is a good mood here. Even better when we win".

There was also an interesting interview with Laine and Kekäläinen: Patrik Laine vastaa Jarmo Kekäläisen arvioon: ”Se on minun vikani”

- Kekäläinen: "Guy with a lot of skill kept losing the puck when no-one was close. It tells me he had not confidence. One must work for it outside of the rink. One must return in top shape after the summer and get his confidence back to normal levels and good results are certain".

- Laine: "I have enjoyed it here and I want to continue here".

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
PLD has looked awful, 0 offensive touch in Winnipeg. No clue what happened to him.
Atleast Laine has a top 5 shot..

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think both players will bounce back next season. Winnipeg has such good wingers in their top 6 and Dubois will have a full summer to train plus training camp to become more familiar with the Jets play style and Laine won't have to deal with Torts anymore and Columbus should be able to find him a playmaking center.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
PLD will be fine. I guarantee it. I hate the guy (now) but he is clearly not 100% and is clearly still learning how to play in that system.

Laine is a TBD.

Roslovic, also a TBD, but seems to be the player the Jackets thought they were getting. Which is good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think PLD misses Torts. No joke. :D

I'm trying to imagine Laine and Roslovic going into the corners versus Chiarot and Weber. They would get mauled.

Reactions: CBJx614

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It’s crazy how much less .... talk Dubois has gotten for his play than Laine

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Once Columbus gets a good centre to dish to him, Laine will score tons again.

Give PLD a training camp to acclimate himself to Winnipeg's systems and he'll be the perfect second line centre that extends Winnipeg's window (once they fix their d).

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
PLD has looked awful, 0 offensive touch in Winnipeg. No clue what happened to him.
Atleast Laine has a top 5 shot..

Maybe Tortorella knew how to pull the right strings to get this guy to perform.

It's also significantly more difficult to move into Winnipeg's top 6, than Columbus's top 6. It's a constant battle to stay there, as the case of Roslovic proved. He could only stay for a cup of coffee in Winnipeg's top 6, which boasts players the calibre of Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, etc. but in Columbus he was given more room to breathe, and he managed to put up a decent amount of points.

If there was ever a time for PLD to step up and perform, it would be about right now. Scheifele is out for several games, they're 2 games down, they need Dubois more than ever right now. Just a couple of timely goals or assists would do.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
PLD sucked but he has time to turn it around. Columbus is going to end up with just Roslovic to show for it once Laine dips out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad