Was Laine - PLD a lose/lose?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Kind of reminds me of the Larsson - Hall trade which seems weird on the surface but met the teams' needs decently

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
You mean the guy who had 10 goals this year while being -30?
Laine sucked this year and perhaps he's done as a superstar. But no one knew that before the trade. Jets traded him at the best time, but they should have gotten a 2c at least. Not some scrub.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Canucks will take both players off your hands.

Horvat-EP-Laine
Miller-PLD-Boeser
As long as you pay the exorbinant prices that will be insisted upon by both us and the Jets... sure!
(For example: you might not get to keep both or either of Horvat/Miller. ;) )

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
As long as you pay the exorbinant prices that will be insisted upon by both us and the Jets... sure!
(For example: you might not get to keep both or either of Horvat/Miller. ;) )
I’d offer Miller for Laine and something like #9+Rathbone+Lind for PLD. Probably not enough though :(

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine sucked this year and perhaps he's done as a superstar. But no one knew that before the trade. Jets traded him at the best time, but they should have gotten a 2c at least. Not some scrub.

You do realize that someone could have said "PLD sucked this year and maybe he's not the star we thought he was, but we didn't know that before. The Jackets should have at least gotten someone better than that awful Laine for him".

Also the idea that "no one knew" about Laine's problems is just not true. He was sometimes a drag on the Jets lineup and he's a problematic guy to add to your locker room. There was a lot less interest in him than Laine's star power would make you think.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Early looks aren’t promising. I’ll give it a full year until the end of next season to assess.

PLD has been disappointing so far, but many players take time to adapt to a new system and team.

Laine again has been miserable, but with Torts gone and someone else in perhaps the system and structure used will get more out of him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think both players get (hesitate to use the word "deserve") a fresh start next season to see what they can do. Laine needs some help to be successful. We'll see if Columbus can provide that. PLD is a different story. He's not a line driver either and I think his offensive upside is limited. Not exactly ideal in the two spot.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->