Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
But that's not playing Zatkoff because he is the hot hand, that's a Fleury's health based argument aka a sensible one, which was the whole point.

Yes and no. Im betting the team didnt feel the need to rush back Fleury because Zatkoff played so well in game 1.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
Zatkoff took the majority of work in practice today while MAF and Murray split time at the other end. Certainly does not sound promising.

Who would have thought that a mysterious second concussion for MAF (believe people say from a James Neal shot) and playing MM in a meaningless last game would completely screw us. This team truly is a cursed lot. Even had Geno not come back if this whole goalie disaster never happened we could have made some noise albeit Washington seems poised this year.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Yes and no. Im betting the team didnt feel the need to rush back Fleury because Zatkoff played so well in game 1.

Again, IF MAF was cleared AND despite this it was decided to start Zatkoff (not even discussing that decision, just taking it as a given for the sake of argument), why do you not at least put a cleared MAF on the bench.You are perpetually one Kreider away from having Jarry on the ice in an NHL playoff game.

Zatkoff took the majority of work in practice today while MAF and Murray split time at the other end. Certainly does not sound promising.

If that is true, what is Jarry doing? Why is he never practicing?

Audacity

Mar 12, 2007

Who would have thought that a mysterious second concussion for MAF (believe people say from a James Neal shot) and playing MM in a meaningless last game would completely screw us. This team truly is a cursed lot. Even had Geno not come back if this whole goalie disaster never happened we could have made some noise albeit Washington seems poised this year.

This is why some people are at odds with your posts recently. Maybe the Penguins of late just haven't had the determination or personnel to get it done, and maybe it has nothing to do with being "cursed."

There was also no action for Jarry either today. We could certainly draw baseless conclusions from that, but we aren't. Come on, man, let's see game three before we know what the storylines are for this playoff run.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Again, IF MAF was cleared AND despite this it was decided to start Zatkoff (not even discussing that decision, just taking it as a given for the sake of argument), why do you not at least put a cleared MAF on the bench.You are perpetually one Kreider away from having Jarry on the ice in an NHL playoff game.

Mind games? Wanting him to get full rest and not do pre game warm ups? Hes dead and someone is wearing a Fleury suit like in Men in Black? I have no idea, especially because its this team and a concussion.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Mind games? Wanting him to get full rest and not do pre game warm ups? Hes dead and someone is wearing a Fleury suit like in Men in Black? I have no idea, especially because its this team and a concussion.

The bolded, again, is not a scenario in which Fleury is actually medically cleared. ;)

I don't think they'd take mind games so far as too actually risk playing Jarry, when they don't need to risk it, but agree to disagree here.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
If that is true, what is Jarry doing? Why is he never practicing?

I'm wondering that myself. Is he not a backup goaltender on a playoff team with a sudden penchant for losing goalies to injury?

If they send in a cold Tristan Jarry for, say, the third period of game three, it would be one of the most amazing things we could imagine.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The bolded, again, is not a scenario in which Fleury is actually medically cleared. ;)

I don't think they'd take mind games so far as too actually risk playing Jarry, when they don't need to risk it, but agree to disagree here.

How do you know hes not medically cleared? Are you saying the guy wearing the Fleury suit is concussed too? :amazed:

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
This is why some people are at odds with your posts recently. Maybe the Penguins of late just haven't had the determination or personnel to get it done, and maybe it has nothing to do with being "cursed."

There was also no action for Jarry either today. We could certainly draw baseless conclusions from that, but we aren't. Come on, man, let's see game three before we know what the storylines are for this playoff run.

Cursed or not, this team has several players that are injury prone. Letang, Malkin, Bennett. Seems like every single year, they're ravaged by injury.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
He was at practice.

Maybe he's feeling okay but not hitting his baseline results, idk.

Coming back from a concussion is often largely dependent on how the athletes feels. Fleury simply might not feel 100% comfortable putting himself at risk in a game where the opponents are going to be crashing the net hard.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Some of your previous post suggest otherwise. The idea that Fleury is cleared and the Penguins are just "resting him" in the middle of a playoff series is idiotic.

There is a difference between resting him and deciding that because Zatkoff played great in game one and because Fleury is coming back from a concussion they decided to give Fleury the extra 3 days. I dont think the two things are exclusive. If Zatkoff had bombed game 1 I think Fleury played game 2. But because Zatkoff played great they decided to give him another game which also gives Fleury 3 extra days to make sure hes 100% ready.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There is a difference between resting him and deciding that because Zatkoff played great in game one and because Fleury is coming back from a concussion they decided to give Fleury the extra 3 days. I dont think the two things are exclusive. If Zatkoff had bombed game 1 I think Fleury played game 2. But because Zatkoff played great they decided to give him another game which also gives Fleury 3 extra days to make sure hes 100% ready.

Fleury is either cleared of he isn't. If they sat him out Game 2 just because Zatkoff played well enough in Game 1, then that is beyond stupid. If Fleury is cleared to play, then he needs to play. You don't **** around like that in the playoffs.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Fleury is either cleared of he isn't. If they sat him out Game 2 just because Zatkoff played well enough in Game 1, then that is beyond stupid. If Fleury is cleared to play, then he needs to play. You don't **** around like that in the playoffs.

And you dont **** around with concussions. He hasnt been cleared to play, hes been cleared to practice. We dont know what the doctors or team think when it comes to him playing a game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
And you dont **** around with concussions. He hasnt been cleared to play, hes been cleared to practice. We dont know what the doctors or team think when it comes to him playing a game.

Which is my point all along. He's either cleared to play based off a doctor's evaluation and how he feels, or he isn't. There's no debate about him needing rest or about him being rushed back. If he's cleared, he plays. If he's not cleared he doesn't play. There's no debate or argument beyond that.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Nobody with an once of common sense should be advocating playing Zatkoff another game let alone the series. The team would be forced to continue playing the game by sheltering him instead of playing the game they have bee since January.

Not so much advocating as understanding a bigger mistake would be rushing either of the other two goalies back play in Game 3 with the series tied 1-1, and risk a relapse / making their concussion situation worse and potentially longer term. I mean if you get into a must-win situation and they say they feel 100% and pass all the battery of tests, yeah you put whichever is mroe ready out there and see what happens. I don't think we're at that Stage in Game 3.

Zatkoff is b-a-d bad most of the time but maybe you change the game plan a bit and take your chances for one more game. I have no idea how well those two guys are, I'm just saying don't mess with concussions. Give them both as much time as you possibly can before you're forced to play one of them.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Which is my point all along. He's either cleared to play based off a doctor's evaluation and how he feels, or he isn't. There's no debate about him needing rest or about him being rushed back. If he's cleared, he plays. If he's not cleared he doesn't play. There's no debate or argument beyond that.

Except we dont know if he has been cleared to play and the team decided to hold him out. The team could have decided that an extra 3 days of practice was needed due to how long hes been out. Thats the argument right now. Likely we will never know what exactly has has been discussed between MAF/Pens/Doctors.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
I feel it is safe to say if Zatkoff starts tonight then

A. MAF is not cleared to play and he is unlikely to get cleared this series/playoffs. He has been out for 3 weeks now and has practiced for over a week. Obviously the guy is real messed up if he's not playing in the playoffs of a 1-1 series on the road. Thus the penguins are not going to risk his long term health. Why he is practicing? I assume they feel it's safe to have him practice in a controlled environment but not in a game.

B. Matt Murray also suffered a concussion and is going through a protocol as well. I could possibly see him back for game 4 especially if we lose.

MAF is done IMO Zatkoff will start tonight and there is a possibility MM comes back game 4 or 5. This is a disaster. Sully has been great but man he dropped the ball playing MM in Philly.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
He's been out close to 10 days. Unlikely a "sore neck" would be able to keep him out that long. Especially during playoff hockey. He suffered some type of concussion. One can hope it's of the minor variety as opposed to MAF apparently having some type of Sid concussion going on.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's been out close to 10 days. Unlikely a "sore neck" would be able to keep him out that long. Especially during playoff hockey. He suffered some type of concussion. One can hope it's of the minor variety as opposed to MAF apparently having some type of Sid concussion going on.

Sid didn't have a concussion, he was misdiagnosed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad