Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Fleury is day to day he's ****ed. That's probably an impersonator they found to trot out for the media while his wife (think of his wife and children!!! If only the article had come sooner. :cry:) plans the funeral.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you'd told me the series would be tied 1-1 with Zatkoff in net, I would have been thrilled. We just need Murray or Fleury by Game 4, and Girardi back in will help a lot too, so get well Dan, get well!

The result honestly didn't surprise me all that much. What did surprise me (and I guess it shouldn't have) is how hesitant we're playing in front of him. I'd like MAF/MM back for game 3, but if they're not, then one must be back for game 4. We will not win this series with Zatkoff, and I'd hate to be down 3-1 then thrusting MAF/MM into the net, and our season resting on them being good enough to win 3 straight.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Some things

Fleury skated in each practice over the past week but remains day-to-day after missing seven games, including Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference First Round against the New York Rangers.

He will be a game-time decision for Game 3 on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden (7 p.m. ET; USA, ROOT, MSG, SN, TVA Sports).

The best-of-7 series is tied 1-1.

"To me, it's frustrating to just not play and still be talking about it," Fleury said. "It's tough, you know? It feels like forever."
https://www.nhl.com/news/fleury-frustrated-concussion-recovery/c-280364388

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm tired of the gamesmanship. He's practiced for a week now. He's either still having symptoms after practice or he's not. I would assume if he got dizzy or something after a practice that he wouldn't practice the next day. Yet he hasn't missed a practice. He better be in for game 3 or I demand an explanation haha.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Always remember:

Kunitz started the MAF concussion by getting as close to a goalie in practice as he's had in any game all year.

Lovejoy let Schenn blow by him that allowed him to collide with Murray.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The result honestly didn't surprise me all that much. What did surprise me (and I guess it shouldn't have) is how hesitant we're playing in front of him. I'd like MAF/MM back for game 3, but if they're not, then one must be back for game 4. We will not win this series with Zatkoff, and I'd hate to be down 3-1 then thrusting MAF/MM into the net, and our season resting on them being good enough to win 3 straight.

Yeah I agree, The other part of the atypical play certainly has to do with so many changes in lines and D pairs, both in general, and from shift to shift.

We need to establish some continuity with our lines and D pairs, and it sounds like from what MS said today we're getting Shultz back, and Maatta out. I do not like Dumo stuck with LJ on the 2nd pair at all, but at least it gives us three pairs that have all logged some time with each other.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm tired of the gamesmanship. He's practiced for a week now. He's either still having symptoms after practice or he's not. I would assume if he got dizzy or something after a practice that he wouldn't practice the next day. Yet he hasn't missed a practice. He better be in for game 3 or I demand an explanation haha.

This the part I don't understand. If Fleury's still suffering from concussion symptoms, why is he constantly back at the next practice? If he's able to practice multiple times, why isn't he cleared to play?

I seem to remember Crosby and his concussion woes, if he felt dizzy or whatever after trying to practice, he'd be shut down for a week or whatever. I don't recall Sid being at every practice until the point he was actually able to return.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm thinking it was more let's give Zatkoff one more game because he played well and MAF some more practice time as a result. At this point I'd be shocked if MAF doesn't play tomorrow but with this team who knows.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm thinking it was more let's give Zatkoff one more game because he played well and MAF some more practice time as a result. At this point I'd be shocked if MAF doesn't play tomorrow but with this team who knows.

I hope that's not their thinking. If that was their approach, Malkin shouldn't have been dressed in Game 2.

If they're good to go, you play your best players. Period.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
This the part I don't understand. If Fleury's still suffering from concussion symptoms, why is he constantly back at the next practice? If he's able to practice multiple times, why isn't he cleared to play?

I seem to remember Crosby and his concussion woes, if he felt dizzy or whatever after trying to practice, he'd be shut down for a week or whatever. I don't recall Sid being at every practice until the point he was actually able to return.

Didn't he get this last concussion from Neal's wrist shot to the head? Seems like he'd be susceptible to the same kind of risk in practice as well. If he's practicing, but not well enough for games, why is he practicing? :dunno:

I got my medical degree in a crackerjack box just like RR, but color me confused about all this as well.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If they played zatkoff over a healthy fleury in game 2, they're very dumb.

I think this is exactly the case. I imagine Fleury was questionable for game 1 and ready for game 2, but they decided to ride the hot hand and give Fleury an extra 3 days to rest. It's not an awful idea/gamble, and if it benefits us longer term these playoffs, then great.

We'll know if Fleury is healthy tomorrow though, as there's no more hot hand to ride, and we're not at home.

PlinyElder*

If they played zatkoff over a healthy fleury in game 2, they're very dumb.

Well if you look at how the game went... Breakaway in 1st minute of 1st and 2nd. About 3-4 in total. I think it's a blessing Fleury didn't play that game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think this is exactly the case. I imagine Fleury was questionable for game 1 and ready for game 2, but they decided to ride the hot hand and give Fleury an extra 3 days to rest. It's not an awful idea/gamble, and if it benefits us longer term these playoffs, then great.

We'll know if Fleury is healthy tomorrow though, as there's no more hot hand to ride, and we're not at home.

There's no chance they went with Zatkoff because he was the "hot hand."

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

That's also what I have been thinking. If you have a concussion, you either have it or you don't. You have symptoms or you don't. There's zero reason to be practicing and not playing, because if that player is practicing, they are obviously not feeling ill effects of the concussion because they wouldn't be cleared to play.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Well if you look at how the game went... Breakaway in 1st minute of 1st and 2nd. About 3-4 in total. I think it's a blessing Fleury didn't play that game.

Pliny, Fleury has more practice on breakaways and is better at stopping them than many other goalies. If you'll recall, Bylsma had the team practice the shootout during practice regularly, which is why Fleury has such a good career record in the shootout. He's a relatively good goalie when it comes to breakaways/shootouts. Sure, Fluery could have had a good day or a bad day if he'd played in game two. But generally speaking, he'd be your best bet for facing a breakaway, given our choices in goal.

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON

Fleury's just fine at handling breakaways though. Let's look at his stats in the shootout, where he faces nothing but breakaways: he's 7th in save percentage among goalies that faced more than 10 shooters in the shootout this year, 35th last year (yikes, but this one is an aberration), 5th in 2013, DNR in 2012 (he faced 8 shooters and let in 2 goals, good for 10th overall among goalies that played in a shootout that year), 8th in 2011, 8th in 2010, and so on. His career shootout save percentage is 75.2%.

Jeff Zatkoff's career shootout save percentage? 33.3%*.

*Admittedly, he's only faced 6 shots.

Also, shoutout to sportingcharts.com for the numbers.

PlinyElder*

Pliny, Fleury has more practice on breakaways and is better at stopping them than many other goalies. If you'll recall, Bylsma had the team practice the shootout during practice regularly, which is why Fleury has such a good career record in the shootout. He's a relatively good goalie when it comes to breakaways/shootouts. Sure, Fluery could have had a good day or a bad day if he'd played in game two. But generally speaking, he'd be your best bet for facing a breakaway, given our choices in goal.

No doubt! You want him for breakaways but 1st game in months? If he gave up an early goal, I just think it would have been bad for his confidence moving forward. Is everybody forgetting about his playoff history?

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
MAF or Murray better play tomorrow if they don't this season is ova!

MAF is not coming back if he's not playing tomorrow there is no more excuses.

Murray is still young and unproven although he is better than Zatkoff no doubt, coming off an injury on the road in playoffs may not make a big difference.

But like I said if Zatkoff is starting might as well start watching Antonio on danicing with the stars cause it's inevitable.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No doubt! You want him for breakaways but 1st game in months? If he gave up an early goal, I just think it would have been bad for his confidence moving forward. Is everybody forgetting about his playoff history?

Yes. Please detail it year by year, starting with the more recent years please.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
MAF or Murray better play tomorrow if they don't this season is ova!

MAF is not coming back if he's not playing tomorrow there is no more excuses.

Murray is still young and unproven although he is better than Zatkoff no doubt, coming off an injury on the road in playoffs may not make a big difference.

But like I said if Zatkoff is starting might as well start watching Antonio on danicing with the stars cause it's inevitable.

Another dooms-day poster promoted to the HF ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad