Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
Another dooms-day poster promoted to the HF ranks

Please explain to me how having Zatkoff in net for the series, which is what it will be if he starts tomorrow, is doomsday?

If someone told you Jeff Zatkoff would be in goal all series/playoffs you would pick the penguins to win? Vs Lundqvist? Please don't tell me that.

PlinyElder*

Yes. Please detail it year by year, starting with the more recent years please.

I obviously want Fleury over Zatkoff. Just given how bad they played defensively I'm kind of glad Fleury didn't come back that game. I don't think any goalie makes those saves. That's all I'm saying.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
And like I posted on another thread Zatkoff has actually played well. Imagine what happens when he starts playing like Jeff Zatkoff?????

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Please explain to me how having Zatkoff in net for the series, which is what it will be if he starts tomorrow, is doomsday?

If someone told you Jeff Zatkoff would be in goal all series/playoffs you would pick the penguins to win? Vs Lundqvist? Please don't tell me that.

You're literally just making that up.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont know about murray coming back before flower. Flowers been practicing with the team forever now and is still day-to-day while murray just joined. We need either one back quick though.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
You're literally just making that up.

So a guy with two concussions in a rather short period of time that has been practicing for over a week but clearly cannot get cleared is coming back Thursday? Doubtful man. It tells me that the excuses like he needs more practice or see if Zatkoff can steal another one are over. It tells me he is out indefinitely which is definitely our season.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
There's no chance they went with Zatkoff because he was the "hot hand."

Seriously. If Fleury was cleared and they'd have decided to inexplicably start "hot hand" Zatkoff anyway, why the heck would Jarry still be the backup then? It's like people think Sullivan's only objective is to make the biggest number of Pens fans possible **** their pants.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Nobody with an once of common sense should be advocating playing Zatkoff another game let alone the series. The team would be forced to continue playing the game by sheltering him instead of playing the game they have bee since January.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
So a guy with two concussions in a rather short period of time that has been practicing for over a week but clearly cannot get cleared is coming back Thursday? Doubtful man. It tells me that the excuses like he needs more practice or see if Zatkoff can steal another one are over. It tells me he is out indefinitely which is definitely our season.

Then why the hell is he even practicing?

If he's still concussed, wouldn't another puck to the head just potentially set him back further?

Makes zero sense to me. I think we were just giving him a few more days to make sure. Especially after Zatkoff held the fort in Game 1.

I'm no doc, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I expect MAF to return tomorrow.

I guess we'll find out. *shrugs*

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think GENO is necessarily being a doomsday guy by extrapolating what it means if Zatkoff is still the starter by game three. At that point, it starts to seem realistic that he's the starter for another week, which is basically the entire series. Frankly, every option in goal comes with major question marks at this point. It's pretty scary.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I don't think GENO is necessarily being a doomsday guy by extrapolating what it means if Zatkoff is still the starter by game three. At that point, it starts to seem realistic that he's the starter for another week, which is basically the entire series. Frankly, every option in goal comes with major question marks at this point. It's pretty scary.

Then kiss the playoffs goodbye.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seriously. If Fleury was cleared and they'd have decided to inexplicably start "hot hand" Zatkoff anyway, why the heck would Jarry still be the backup then? It's like people think Sullivan's only objective is to make the biggest number of Pens fans possible **** their pants.

To make 100% sure that MAF is ready to roll. The Rangers are willing to deliberately run goalies, by not playing Saturday that gives him another 3 days to shake the rust and make sure he doesnt have any lingering affects.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
To make 100% sure that MAF is ready to roll. The Rangers are willing to deliberately run goalies, by not playing Saturday that gives him another 3 days to shake the rust and make sure he doesnt have any lingering affects.

But that's not playing Zatkoff because he is the hot hand, that's a Fleury's health based argument aka a sensible one, which was the whole point.

rightwinglock

Feb 9, 2015
Nobody with an once of common sense should be advocating playing Zatkoff another game let alone the series. The team would be forced to continue playing the game by sheltering him instead of playing the game they have bee since January.

The team isn't forced to do anything like that at all. They choose to do it and I can't really understand it. They've got a great offensive puck moving system with a lot of forecheck and pressure so they revert to collapsing around the net. It results in giving up possession, trouble on the breakout, being outshot by the Rangers and ultimately giving up as many as we would have while playing all out attack, but scoring half as much.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Its called REALITY.

Maybe in your world of unicorns and rainbows Zatkoff channels Roy but it isn't going to happen. Zatkoff is a AHL backup at best nowadays and the Penguins know it.

Why do you think they are now playing a more conservative style? Because they want to? It's because they don't trust Zatkoff period.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The team isn't forced to do anything like that at all. They choose to do it and I can't really understand it. They've got a great offensive puck moving system with a lot of forecheck and pressure so they revert to collapsing around the net. It results in giving up possession, trouble on the breakout, being outshot by the Rangers and ultimately giving up as many as we would have while playing all out attack, but scoring half as much.

They have completely changed their style from what made them the best team the past two months. They are playing more conservative to protect a goalie that has no business in the NHL not to mention starting the playoffs. But please tell me they just decided for no reason to start playing a **** conservative game for the hell of it.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Its called REALITY.

Maybe in your world of unicorns and rainbows Zatkoff channels Roy but it isn't going to happen. Zatkoff is a AHL backup at best nowadays and the Penguins know it.

Why do you think they are now playing a more conservative style? Because they want to? It's because they don't trust Zatkoff period.
Woah someone is getting spiky, man i totally agree about ZatOFF but you may have missed something here.

rightwinglock

Feb 9, 2015
They have completely changed their style from what made them the best team the past two months. They are playing more conservative to protect a goalie that has no business in the NHL not to mention starting the playoffs. But please tell me they just decided for no reason to start playing a **** conservative game for the hell of it.

Being raised in a predominately football (soccer) culture and witnessing so many score turnarounds when changing the playing system (disregarding Barca, Real, Bayern and such who get defense first all the time) I'm gonna go ahead and say that there is a reason and it's this organization's stupidity and cowardness. With all his shortcomings, Zatkoff is a lower end NHL back up, but a back up nonetheless.

How much pressure is he under if we're playing the right way, probably a lot less then now, if he spots them a few easy ones so be it, he's currently the best we have available. But the team starts collapsing, giving up shots and so many more plays in the o-zone. Sorry, but I'd rather lose to a better opponent (factoring injuries) playing the right way than lose by getting away from what made me successful. So they aren't forced to do anything like that, they just choose to and in my opinion that is not what should be done.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Then why the hell is he even practicing?

If he's still concussed, wouldn't another puck to the head just potentially set him back further?

Makes zero sense to me. I think we were just giving him a few more days to make sure. Especially after Zatkoff held the fort in Game 1.

I'm no doc, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I expect MAF to return tomorrow.

I guess we'll find out. *shrugs*

He'd be limited in length, intensity at practice and exercise is important for brain recovery.

Hopefully he is close to a return :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad