Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
we're getting to the point where Sully may have lost us the series by playing MM in the last game. ****ing moron.
In retrospect it turned out to be the wrong move, but i understand his reasoning. Besides, Zatkoff has been fine, it's the team in front of him that has been super disappointing so far. Pens dmen simply haven't been able to handle forechecking pressure.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Does that mean that he is going to play? Or does that mean he isn't going to play but he wants the Rags to think that he's playing? Or that he is going to play but wants the Rags to think that he isn't going to play?

:popcorn:

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Does that mean that he is going to play? Or does that mean he isn't going to play but he wants the Rags to think that he's playing? Or that he is going to play but wants the Rags to think that he isn't going to play?

:popcorn:

TBH, the fact that Sullivan would commit on anything semi-definite on MAF makes me think this time he wants the Rangers to think Zatkoff is in. Which must obviously mean it's gonna be Murray, right? :naughty:

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
"Murray is an option tonight"...to me this sounds like Murray is gonna start. Why would "Murray be an option" if he's not dressing/playing? Unless this is another one of Sullivan's tricks, it makes no sense why Murray would dress tonight but you would still start zatkoff

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In retrospect it turned out to be the wrong move, but i understand his reasoning. Besides, Zatkoff has been fine, it's the team in front of him that has been super disappointing so far. Pens dmen simply haven't been able to handle forechecking pressure.

The team hasn't been "fine". They're playing very tentative hockey - something they only started to do when Zatkoff took the net. And in all honesty, something they have to do with him in net.

As for starting MM against Philly, I get why he did that. Maybe he thought MAF was a LOT closer to returning then potentially in game 4. Hard to say exactly... but if the thought was that MM was going to be the guy in game 1, seeing how he only had what... 11 NHL games to his name, getting him more experience was a good thing. You can't predict injuries. I mean would it be any different if that injury had happened 20 minutes into game 1 of the playoffs instead of 20 mins into game 82? It sucks either way, and the only way it's "preventable" is if you never play him.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This team looks the best it has in a very long time, then both starting goaltenders get concussions. This team has THE WORST injury luck. Since 2010 no team can compare.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
TBH, the fact that Sullivan would commit on anything semi-definite on MAF makes me think this time he wants the Rangers to think Zatkoff is in. Which must obviously mean it's gonna be Murray, right? :naughty:
:D

Next we'll hear Maguire has been called up and Jarry has been preparing at an undisclosed location.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
NFL players also have the shortest life spans of any professional athletes and many have very severe brain injuries from playing which often lead to suicide, depression, mental impairment, cognitive impairment, and a change in mental temperament.

The NFL should frankly be ruined in a lawsuit and re-started from scratch.
Actually not true. We have all been fooled by a huge propaganda machine.
In fact in his book Daniel J. Fynn revealed that the NFLPA sanctioned federal government research into how football effects players relative to the general male population. The results where a shock to the NFLPA, football players, past and present, were MORE healthy than average males. Football players, even from decades ago, were in top physical shape throughout most of their lives, unlike the average male.
Today it is even worse as most college age males are unhealthy overweight video-game internet couch potatoes compared to football players of the same age.

Even the reach of CTE could be vastly overblown, a few cases relative to the thousands of former players were extrapolated to encompass the entire football playing population.
Haven't ever heard about Mr Flynn or his book before? Of course not, there is BILLIONS to be made in the new "concussion industry" and culture of fear in youth sports.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Football-...461083848&sr=1-1&keywords=the+war+on+football
"From concussion doctors pushing “science” that benefits their hidden business interests to lawyers clamoring for billion-dollar settlements in scam litigation, America’s game has become so big that everybody wants a cut. And those chasing the dollars show themselves more than willing to trash a great sport in hot pursuit of a buck.

Everything they say about football is wrong. Football players don’t commit suicide at elevated levels, die younger than their peers, or suffer disproportionately from heart disease. In fact, professional players live longer, healthier lives than American men in general."
51cbA9XB5TL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Meh no one's getting past washington anyways.

Washington has looked as bad as you possibly can for being up 3-0; aside from phillys meltdown in the 2nd half of last nights game.

Yeah .. this.

I've watched large portions of the Caps/Philly series. The Caps, despite being up 3-0 and coming off a 6-1 drubbing, arent looking THAT awesome. Sure, the fact that Philly is playing like garbage might have something to do with it.

It's tough to gauge. Sometimes you play to your competition level but ... I watch Chicago/St Louis and jesus, they look good.

I'm not saying that in a Caps/Pens series (should they get that far), would be a cakewalk for the Pens. Far from it. But I dont think they'd get blown out either.

EDIT: Apparently, Holtby left practice with a possible knee injury. I heard that losing your starting goalie can be detrimental ;)

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What reasoning? There was no logical reason to start him. We weren't even trying to win the game.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The team hasn't been "fine". They're playing very tentative hockey - something they only started to do when Zatkoff took the net. And in all honesty, something they have to do with him in net.

As for starting MM against Philly, I get why he did that. Maybe he thought MAF was a LOT closer to returning then potentially in game 4. Hard to say exactly... but if the thought was that MM was going to be the guy in game 1, seeing how he only had what... 11 NHL games to his name, getting him more experience was a good thing. You can't predict injuries. I mean would it be any different if that injury had happened 20 minutes into game 1 of the playoffs instead of 20 mins into game 82? It sucks either way, and the only way it's "preventable" is if you never play him.
Right, the team has been terrible, i said Zatkoff has been fine. The tentative hockey also coincides with the beginning of the playoffs. Is it the playoffs and the extra physicality, intensity, less space, etc that's causing their poor play, or Zatkoff in net? Hard to say. What i see is a defense getting overwhelmed by the rangers forecheck and the forwards constantly turning the puck over in the neutral zone.

Vigneault obviously made some changes to counter how the pens have been playing, pens haven't countered back yet. I thought this team would really take it to NYR, but you have to give them credit. They didn't get to the SCF and ECF the past two seasons by mistake.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
At the risk of dragging this into a derail-

Daniel J. Flynn is a shill and not a very good one at that, though he's slightly better at THAT than writing things that are thought provoking and beautiful. And besides, there's way more money invested in keeping football as is and trying to minimize the NFL's culpability than there is in science. The idea that some big conspiracy is dedicated to funding bogus concussion studies is ludicrous on its face- the NFL would LOVE to have that kind of scientific research in their corner if it was in their favor. Unless you can come up with an actual scientist in a peer reviewed journal, I'm going to call ******** on anything Daniel J. Flynn has written, writes, and will ever write in his wretched life.

:laugh:

So, I'll agree to disagree with you, but I'm never going to say a kind word about Herr Flynn until he announces his retirement from the realm of the written word, withdraws into a monastery somewhere on Craggy Island.

Also, post-script, football blows and is a ****** national sport. There. I said it. Hockey should be our national game, not some bastardized sissy version of rugby.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What reasoning? There was no logical reason to start him. We weren't even trying to win the game.
Having zero playoff games to his resume he probably wanted to see how he would respond to a team with their season on the line that would be playing with high intensity. Good preparation for the playoffs, considering Murray only has like a quarter season of experience.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

How do people get why he did it? Fleury had a concussion. We should know by now you can't project when a guy is going to be back. If he thought Fleury was close, then he's an idiot. You are either cleared or you aren't. You can't assume anything with a concussion.

MM having 11 NHL games or 12 in a meaningless game against the Flyers is irrelevant. What the hell experience was he going to gain that would help him and the team in the playoffs?

We needed Murray in the playoffs, not game 82. If he got injured in the 1st minute of game 1 of the playoffs, nobody here would be criticizing Sully. If he got injured in game 81 where we were clinching home ice, nobody would (or should) be criticizing Sully. We are criticizing him because he played his 3rd most important player in a pointless game right before the playoffs. It was a bad move regardless of the outcome.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's no way Philly comes back from 3-0, but Holtby being out, it would be nice to see Philly take it to Washington for a few games if for nothing more than pride's sake.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Having zero playoff games to his resume he probably wanted to see how he would respond to a team with their season on the line that would be playing with high intensity. Good preparation for the playoffs, considering Murray only has like a quarter season of experience.

He already played 11 games when the Pens season was on the line. 1 more game where we weren't even trying to win wasn't going to do ****.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He already played 11 games when the Pens season was on the line. 1 more game where we weren't even trying to win wasn't going to do ****.

I mean, I think it was a bad decision, but I can see Sullivan thinking that.

There's a lot of weird CW about playoff hockey being another sport entirely, and as unfair as it might be to assume so, I kind of see Sullivan as a coach who buys into those cliches and hockey "culture".

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's freak bad luck, nothing more. It's rare for a goaltender to get injured in any particular game. He could've gotten injured in practice as well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean, I think it was a bad decision, but I can see Sullivan thinking that.

There's a lot of weird CW about playoff hockey being another sport entirely, and as unfair as it might be to assume so, I kind of see Sullivan as a coach who buys into those cliches and hockey "culture".

I can see him thinking that. I just don't think it's justifiable. Maybe I'm nit picking people saying "I see his reasoning". I see it, I just reject it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad