Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
I just wonder if by winning game 1 the pens are cautious and give all these guys another 3 days! It's risky but they may lean that way. If MAF is not back by Tuesday in NY then something very strange is going on.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My only thing with this whole resting thing and taking a cautious approach is that I think it's crucial we win the first 2 games here before we have to go to the Garden.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yep. You really don't have the luxury of resting guys. Can't afford to risk wins or think you have breathing room. The goal is to win every series as fast as possible.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
My only thing with this whole resting thing and taking a cautious approach is that I think it's crucial we win the first 2 games here before we have to go to the Garden.
Yup, Rangers are good at home. I still like our chances there, but I'd sleep a lot easier if we go in there 2-0.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Even if Geno is 75%, if he can help the team, even if not at full capacity, I'd play him. Try to close this **** out in 4 or 5 games and then hopefully get a little bit of rest waiting for the others to finish up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
As soon as a player is

1) cleared to play (injury is healed, no chance of reinjuring/worsening it)
2) is pain free
3) wants to play

then the player should play.

Players don't get into game shape by not playing. At some point, everyone is injured and there are diminishing returns with sitting a guy. Play whoever is ready.

it should be CRYSTAL CLEAR that they are not rushing anyone back

1) Murray sat
2) Fleury sat
b) because of this, they started Jeff Zatkoff
3) Malkin sat through the most important stretch of the year
4) Maatta sat through the most important stretch of the year
5) Rust sat
6) Most of these guys sat through the, up to that point, most important game of the year (playoff game 1)

If someone takes the ice, I think we should have some confidence that it means they are ready to take the ice.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Even if Geno is 75%, if he can help the team, even if not at full capacity, I'd play him. Try to close this **** out in 4 or 5 games and then hopefully get a little bit of rest waiting for the others to finish up.

Malkin, even at 75% getting 3rd/4th line minutes >> 7D with Lovejoy. However, it's a long playoffs and we're not in trouble. I say sit him until he's 110%.

As soon as a player is

1) cleared to play (injury is healed, no chance of reinjuring/worsening it)
2) is pain free
3) wants to play

then the player should play.

Players don't get into game shape by not playing. At some point, everyone is injured and there are diminishing returns with sitting a guy. Play whoever is ready.

it should be CRYSTAL CLEAR that they are not rushing anyone back

1) Murray sat
2) Fleury sat
b) because of this, they started Jeff Zatkoff
3) Malkin sat through the most important stretch of the year
4) Maatta sat through the most important stretch of the year
5) Rust sat
6) Most of these guys sat through the, up to that point, most important game of the year (playoff game 1)

If someone takes the ice, I think we should have some confidence that it means they are ready to take the ice.

Agreed. We're doing to well with the personnel we have to rush anyone back.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He shows enough of Geno skating to make the Rangers prepare for him. Any preparation they do for Geno is less time they have to prepare for other things. It's a net win for Sully either way.

I don't see how the Rangers prepare any differently ES, because they don't have the personnel to deal with the Pens without Malkin and Malkin is as likely to center Sheary and Rust on any given shift as he is to play on Sid's wing.

I could see them adjusting their PK a little, maybe a little less aggressive further out in their zone?

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
So does MAF play Tuesday? If not I assume he's out indefinitely. Not that Zatkoff has been awful but at this point there is no reason to not play MAF if he is cleared.

Thought Malkin looked terrible/rusty. Maybe this game will get him back to speed.

Defense was horrible overall today and that concerns me. Doums and Maata both played real bad. Obviously LJ is the easy scapegoat but it goes beyond him.

Tough to think we can beat Hank with more than 1-2 goals. Something better change and quick

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
We have to play MAF now period. Rust/risk doesn't matter you go down with the girl ya brung. Can't lose with trying to ride zatkoff. Not that today was his fault but he isn't good.

Such a bad game today very dissapointed

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Play MAF or Murray now. We've played so timid the first two games. If that doesn't change, this series won't last long.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I think we'll see Flower on Tuesday. He may be rusty but with him in net, I feel more confident the rest of the team will play to their strengths and not look so damn timid. That's the hope anyways.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
So does MAF play Tuesday? If not I assume he's out indefinitely. Not that Zatkoff has been awful but at this point there is no reason to not play MAF if he is cleared.

Thought Malkin looked terrible/rusty. Maybe this game will get him back to speed.

Defense was horrible overall today and that concerns me. Doums and Maata both played real bad. Obviously LJ is the easy scapegoat but it goes beyond him.

Tough to think we can beat Hank with more than 1-2 goals. Something better change and quick

He hasn't been cleared... that's the problem. The doctors have cleared him to practice, but not to play.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Play MAF or Murray now. We've played so timid the first two games. If that doesn't change, this series won't last long.

Murray hasn't even been practicing (or working out, as I understand). MAF is still waiting medical clearance to play.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No way can our third string goalie win another game this series.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If you'd told me the series would be tied 1-1 with Zatkoff in net, I would have been thrilled. We just need Murray or Fleury by Game 4, and Girardi back in will help a lot too, so get well Dan, get well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad