Blue Jays Discussion: Vlad Jr wait/watch II: Watch Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Funny thing is, Jansen has a better projection for the 2019 season than Martin and likewise with Gurriel compared to Tulo. I really like Martin and hate seeing him go but there is no point in having him on the team.

Yeah, I still like Martin a lot, but moving him to a contender was always going to be the right move for everyone involved. Jansen is going to be a top catcher in the league, likely starting this year, so there's no reason to keep Martin. Maile can fill in just fine when needed and McGuire will be in Buffalo.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yeah, I still like Martin a lot, but moving him to a contender was always going to be the right move for everyone involved. Jansen is going to be a top catcher in the league, likely starting this year, so there's no reason to keep Martin. Maile can fill in just fine when needed and McGuire will be in Buffalo.

Exactly. Now they just have to look at offers for Pillar, Smoak and possibly Stroman.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010

Jansen doesn’t even have a year of service time/complete season in the MLB, so it is too early to place that label on him....let’s see him this season and go from there.

Russell Martin, thank you for your time and lasting impact. He has earned the respect that he is awarded and this opportunity in LA to win it all.

I am glad with how this offseason has been handled by management (Atkins, Shapiro and Rogers Media). Signing Phelps and Shoemaker gives up some huge upside on the pitching front. Trading Martin and “buying out” Tulo allows the future to begin with Vlad and Bo. Next up Smoak and Pillar. Morales is here to finish his contract, plus is a quality veteran for the clubhouse (especially for Vlad, Teoscar and the other Latin players as he creates a somewhat welcome committee approach along with Montoya).

I don’t care how many wins this year but it is going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: stickty111

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I am just happy that Shapiro and Atkins at no point got baited into signing a brutal deal of their own(Save Morales but meh he is gone after this season too) that a vocal part of this fan base seemed to just be screaming for to no end their first 1-2 years on the job.
Imagine going into year 3 of Bautistas 5 year deal for $30 mil a year? :D

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jansen doesn’t even have a year of service time/complete season in the MLB, so it is too early to place that label on him....let’s see him this season and go from there.

Russell Martin, thank you for your time and lasting impact. He has earned the respect that he is awarded and this opportunity in LA to win it all.

I am glad with how this offseason has been handled by management (Atkins, Shapiro and Rogers Media). Signing Phelps and Shoemaker gives up some huge upside on the pitching front. Trading Martin and “buying out” Tulo allows the future to begin with Vlad and Bo. Next up Smoak and Pillar. Morales is here to finish his contract, plus is a quality veteran for the clubhouse (especially for Vlad, Teoscar and the other Latin players as he creates a somewhat welcome committee approach along with Montoya).

I don’t care how many wins this year but it is going to be fun to watch.

Not so much a "label" as it is my expectations based on his ridiculous numbers from the last two years at the upper levels of the minors and in his brief major league stint. If he was a 1B prospect with those numbers we would be understandably excited about him. For a catcher? That's just amazing.

If you can't expect big things right away from a catcher entering his age-24 season with the kinds of numbers he's had the last two years then you should probably never expect any rookie to be good right away.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Funny thing is, Jansen has a better projection for the 2019 season than Martin and likewise with Gurriel compared to Tulo. I really like Martin and hate seeing him go but there is no point in having him on the team.

I've never really understood why prospect evaluators sleep on Jansen so much. Those projections have him playing at a J.T Realmuto pace, and yet the guy isn't even a top 50 prospect.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Dexter Fowler too

They also could've upped their offer to Edwin to make it more competitive. Then the Jays could be paying him $40m over the next 2 years (because a more competitive offer surely doesn't include something cowardly like a buyout option)

I've never really understood why prospect evaluators sleep on Jansen so much. Those projections have him playing at a J.T Realmuto pace, and yet the guy isn't even a top 50 prospect.

I think there's been this constant sense of disbelief that his production increase was "real". Evaluators keep waiting for him to crash back to earth and disbelieving what he did the last couple years because he wasn't a sexy draft pick or had an early turnaround/breakout in the low minors.

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think there's been this constant sense of disbelief that his production increase was "real". Evaluators keep waiting for him to crash back to earth and disbelieving what he did the last couple years because he wasn't a sexy draft pick or had an early turnaround/breakout in the low minors.

Which is hilarious because everything about his offense the last two years is entirely sustainable and EXACTLY the kind of profile prospect evaluators generally love.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Im fine on waiting on Smoak, Stroman and Sanchez for the right offer, especially the last 2 as value is low right now for them.
However Pillar needs to be sold high.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am really high on this rebuild. A prospect who could soon compete with Trout for the best player in the league. Bichette is a stud. 120 million to spend in 2 years which is 2 years of development for the young guys. Jansen is also a stud. Assuming the Jays can get a good rotation in order (I am very high on Pearson), this team will be monstrous.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I am really high on this rebuild. A prospect who could soon compete with Trout for the best player in the league. Bichette is a stud. 120 million to spend in 2 years which is 2 years of development for the young guys. Jansen is also a stud. Assuming the Jays can get a good rotation in order (I am very high on Pearson), this team will be monstrous.
Not to mention a ton of non blue Chip prospects on the cusp where we should get a few more good players out of it and we are actually in great shape. Almost like the hoarding of prospects and signing old guys to 1-2 year deals to fill the gap while they developed was part of the plan.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Not to mention a ton of non blue Chip prospects on the cusp where we should get a few more good players out of it and we are actually in great shape. Almost like the hoarding of prospects and signing old guys to 1-2 year deals to fill the gap while they developed was part of the plan.

It was from day 1 IMO. I didn't post much here when Atkins and Shapiro came in, but I could tell that most of what they said to the media was smokescreens for the post AA shambolic old roster he left after 2015. They built up the Indians nicely and if they can build a rotation as good as the one there, this team is going places.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

They'd be in a bit better shape if ownership let them start the rebuild a bit earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad