Blue Jays Discussion: Vlad Jr wait/watch II: Watch Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
That’s a crazy story about them. Savages stealing from the dead.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I hope with the winter meetings fast approaching we see the jays make some noise. It’s been a slow role out so far

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
giphy.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One-time Blue Jays AAA affiliate, the Las Vegas 51s, are renaming themselves as the "Las Vegas Aviators" as they swap parent clubs from the Mets to the A's.

Minor league baseball team to be known as Las Vegas Aviators

Too bad. With the Star Trek inspired font and fun logo, they were ahead of the curve on quirky MiLB team names. Now to see if maybe I can get a 51s cap on clearance before they vanish forever. EDIT: dammit. they're already sold out of my size.

skbwrov2ayvkhc80n5skt9onu.png

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
One-time Blue Jays AAA affiliate, the Las Vegas 51s, are renaming themselves as the "Las Vegas Aviators" as they swap parent clubs from the Mets to the A's.

Minor league baseball team to be known as Las Vegas Aviators

Too bad. With the Star Trek inspired font and fun logo, they were ahead of the curve on quirky MiLB team names. Now to see if maybe I can get a 51s cap on clearance before they vanish forever. EDIT: dammit. they're already sold out of my size.

skbwrov2ayvkhc80n5skt9onu.png
You need to find yourself a snap back

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I don't like snap-backs most of the time. They tend to be shallower than fitted caps and that means I can't pull it down onto my forehead like I want (I have a big head :laugh:)
Couldn’t agree more with you on fitted hats vs snap backs. Check lids, they still have all sizes in stock

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't like snap-backs most of the time. They tend to be shallower than fitted caps and that means I can't pull it down onto my forehead like I want (I have a big head :laugh:)
I'm not a fan of them either but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer. Harold Baines. Seriously. He has 38.4 career fWAR and exactly one season where he surpassed 3.0 fWAR. He was a DH with a 119 wRC+ who played in the homeruningest era and never hit 30 in a season. He didn't reach any of the counting stat milestones associated with the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame has been a joke for a long time, but they've really stepped it up with this one.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer. Harold Baines. Seriously. He has 38.4 career fWAR and exactly one season where he surpassed 3.0 fWAR. He was a DH with a 119 wRC+ who played in the homeruningest era and never hit 30 in a season. He didn't reach any of the counting stat milestones associated with the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame has been a joke for a long time, but they've really stepped it up with this one.

I know what you mean.

Jays will have a lot of HoF players coming up if that’s the cut off.

Tulowitzki - 38.3 WAR and 119 wRC+
Martin - 37.4 WAR and 105 wRC+
Donaldson - 36.5 WAR and 140 wRC+
Bautista - 35.4 WAR and 126 wRC+
Encarnacion - 31.3 WAR and 126 wRC+

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Unless Happ’s price is ridiculous then I don’t know how all contenders aren’t after him. Would be a perfect 3-4 guy for any of the teams needing help in the rotation.

Yankees, Astros, Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers, Braves, Cubs etc.

Guy can bring you some stability with upside for 3 years or under.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

So Harold Baines can get in, but not Larry frigging Walker.

To wit:

GP
Baines: 2,830 (11,092 PA)
Walker: 1,988 (8,030 PA)

Hits
Baines: 2,866
Walker: 2,160

HR
Baines: 384
Walker: 383

RBI
Baines: 1,628
Walker: 1,355

Slash Line (BA/OBP/SLG/OPS)
Baines: .289/.356/.465/.820
Walker: .313/.400/.565/.965

SB
Baines: 34 (50% success rate)
Walker: 230 (75% success rate)

Career fWAR
Baines: 38.4
Walker: 68.7

Seasons with fWAR:
Negative: Baines (3), Walker (1)
0-1: Baines (3), Walker (0)
1-3: Baines (14), Walker (3)
3-5:
Baines (2), Walker (7)
5-7: Baines (0), Walker (4)
7-9: Baines (0), Walker (1)
>9: Biaines (0), Walker (1)

Trophy case
Baines: 6x All-Star, 1x WS, 1x Silver Slugger
Walker: 5x All-Star, 1x NL MVP, 7x Gold Glove, 3x Silver Slugger, 3x MLB Batting Title, 1x NL HR title

Baines counting stat leads are entirely down to longevity in large part because he spent so much of his career as a DH. But the fact that Walker played almost 1,000 fewer games in his career and yet was only behind him by 700 hits, 300 RBI and 1 HR makes Walker's career marks all the more impressive.

Larry Walker was, for a time, one of the very best players in baseball and was one of the most complete players in baseball. Harold Baines was a very good DH who had some pretty OK seasons for a fairly long stretch of a lengthy career and who, it must be stressed, was still just primarily a DH because he was a tire fire in the field.

Herpa derp derp HOF!

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I was going to compare Baines to a bunch of other mediocre players, but there are just too many to choose from. Among the 1009 players with at least 5000 career plate appearances, Baines is tied for 291st in wRC+. That's not bad, but for a DH, it's pretty terrible. On the All-Time fWAR list, Jesse Barfield, Aramis Ramirez, and Gary Gaetti are just ahead of him and Placido Polanco, Ryan Zimmerman, and Troy Tulowitzki are directly behind him. Baines also took THOUSANDS more plate appearances to get there than each of those guys and more than twice as many as Barfield and Tulo.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Off the top if my head I can think of four non-Hall of Fame Blue Jays 1B/DH who have had more impressive careers than Baines.

Reactions: JustAShadow

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Jays need to add pitching and preferably pitching that is under control. If there is anyway that we can strike a deal for Gray from the Rockies I would be all over it. They are in need of OF and middle infield help. Two areas that the Jays can assist.

Maybe a deal around Pillar, Travis??? Two players that would definitely excel in the friendly confines of Colorado. If they are looking for younger players we have those as well in the middle infield. Drury? Urena? Smith? Biggio? or in the OF with Alford, McKinney.

He would be a great pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->