OT: Video Game Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
There was a Steam update tonight - that might be why.

I don't think there's any reason to keep both of the jackets, especially at that low level.
That’s what I figured. I know I’m going to wind up bottlenecking my gear looking for an upgrade to continue using two pistols, but I like it so much more than using a rifle.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Stats in grim dawn are kinda hard to figure out. The DPS calc doesn’t seem give an accurate reading, I don’t know if offense is a good enough metric to go by.
I’ve been changing gear around and just attacking the training dummies.
How the hell can I tell if similar gear is an upgrade or not?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Picked up an Oculus Quest 2.

Played table tennis, forgot I wasn't actually playing table tennis.

Gotta try The Walking Dead.

Can't wait until NHL VR is a mature service so I can 'sit' behind the players' bench and feel the disappointment as palpable as if I were there.

We've come a long way from Doom and Duke Nuke'em.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Picked up an Oculus Quest 2.

Played table tennis, forgot I wasn't actually playing table tennis.

Gotta try The Walking Dead.

Can't wait until NHL VR is a mature service so I can 'sit' behind the players' bench and feel the disappointment as palpable as if I were there.

We've come a long way from Doom and Duke Nuke'em.
Can we see

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I figure you all would enjoy this. So I think I told people here before I used to play Halo PC professionally for years back in early to mid 2000s and played with a group of guys for those 8-10 years. Well alot of us went separate ways and got older and all. Well I started to game abit more recently with my new Legion 5 Pro (anyone that needs to be convinced that this laptop is awesome let me know cause it is so badass). Well I changed my steam name back to my old school halo name, one of the guys reaches out to me and lo and behold a bunch of them were still meeting to game (mostly warzone now). Going to play New World beta with them. I cant believe it was about 16 years ago or so that I first starting to play with them. Just crazy. I bet most of you have stories like that.

I guess no different than knowing some of you here since I joined in 2007 lol

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I figure you all would enjoy this. So I think I told people here before I used to play Halo PC professionally for years back in early to mid 2000s and played with a group of guys for those 8-10 years. Well alot of us went separate ways and got older and all. Well I started to game abit more recently with my new Legion 5 Pro (anyone that needs to be convinced that this laptop is awesome let me know cause it is so badass). Well I changed my steam name back to my old school halo name, one of the guys reaches out to me and lo and behold a bunch of them were still meeting to game (mostly warzone now). Going to play New World beta with them. I cant believe it was about 16 years ago or so that I first starting to play with them. Just crazy. I bet most of you have stories like that.

I guess no different than knowing some of you here since I joined in 2007 lol
That’s pretty cool. I have the opposite story where I have friends in the list that haven’t logged on in over something like 10 years. Sad.

Reactions: sa cyred

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah, I mentioned it before here, I did a "pro" team for many years long long ago for around a decade ( 2 years getting good, 8 years of competition, matches Monday, Tues, Thurs, and Sunday ), won all you could win more or less title-wise, there are youtube videos of me that I didn't create myself of highlights, my clan and I barely keep in touch anymore, although one is my friend since High School, and the other lives in a spare room of mine (since I bought a cheap older fixer upper house, I have rooms I don't even go into so he's lived with me in another part of the home for years and years now.) Beyond those 2, I haven't spoken to any of them beyond some brief Steam messages. So, I feel ya, sa cyred. Seems like this is going to be a unique part of our generation.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
That’s pretty cool. I have the opposite story where I have friends in the list that haven’t logged on in over something like 10 years. Sad.
I really is sad. I had one guy I became friends with. Played years. Haven’t talked to him in 13 or so years. Crazy

Reactions: Lord Defect

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yeah, I mentioned it before here, I did a "pro" team for many years long long ago for around a decade ( 2 years getting good, 8 years of competition, matches Monday, Tues, Thurs, and Sunday ), won all you could win more or less title-wise, there are youtube videos of me that I didn't create myself of highlights, my clan and I barely keep in touch anymore, although one is my friend since High School, and the other lives in a spare room of mine (since I bought a cheap older fixer upper house, I have rooms I don't even go into so he's lived with me in another part of the home for years and years now.) Beyond those 2, I haven't spoken to any of them beyond some brief Steam messages. So, I feel ya, sa cyred. Seems like this is going to be a unique part of our generation.
That’s so cool though. Funny enough the one told me they had an “old school tourney” where a bunch of them got back together and had players from so many clans play in a small tourney.
Once I hopped in discord I remembered all the voices like it was yesterday. BAck then it was teamspeak and ventrillo lol.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
BAck then it was teamspeak and ventrillo lol.

Yep, many nights on TS and Vent. And ... wait for it.. Roger Wilco and mIRC. Old enough we used ICQ for a bit.

I find myself watching old videos teams and the community put together and reflecting on those years. Difficult to explain to someone else (who will not at all give a damn) about those glory days. No one cares that I won the first league title for the 7on7 league. Items like that. But to me, it's a decent source of pride, that is very difficult to share with any kind of weight, with others. Also hard to explain what it is like to be one of the best at a thing, only to watch yourself get worse with age, and have to fall back on experience to compensate. I once got accused of wallhacking because I would lob a combo as they turned a corner, but I could gut feel how long it takes to respawn and return to that corner, as I've defended "spiral" 100s of times. Experience as I got slower, helped.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Stats in grim dawn are kinda hard to figure out. The DPS calc doesn’t seem give an accurate reading, I don’t know if offense is a good enough metric to go by.
I’ve been changing gear around and just attacking the training dummies.
How the hell can I tell if similar gear is an upgrade or not?

By following a guide. There are people who are really extremely good at figuring this stuff out - you are not one of them, and neither am I. You can almost never tell what damage you are doing just by looking at the numbers - they scale with all kinds of things, there are multipliers, etc. It's way above our pay grade.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I beat normal with my gunslinger, and got my shit pushed in on elite. I checked my stats out, and I have virtually zero resistance. I bruted my way through the campaign on normal.
F5893437-7EF5-49F7-A53D-EEAA363A3DB0.jpeg
B6B6B73F-603D-4AAF-B19B-2B2CA9C83660.jpeg
39208800-6494-4C2E-8865-D828C428B51D.jpeg

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yep, many nights on TS and Vent. And ... wait for it.. Roger Wilco and mIRC. Old enough we used ICQ for a bit.

I find myself watching old videos teams and the community put together and reflecting on those years. Difficult to explain to someone else (who will not at all give a damn) about those glory days. No one cares that I won the first league title for the 7on7 league. Items like that. But to me, it's a decent source of pride, that is very difficult to share with any kind of weight, with others. Also hard to explain what it is like to be one of the best at a thing, only to watch yourself get worse with age, and have to fall back on experience to compensate. I once got accused of wallhacking because I would lob a combo as they turned a corner, but I could gut feel how long it takes to respawn and return to that corner, as I've defended "spiral" 100s of times. Experience as I got slower, helped.
Mannn I am getting some major flashbacks. Reminds me of the old cal-i and cal-o days. When halo was taken off a lot of teams went to Klanwars. Before MLG and all that stuff.

Reactions: Flyotes

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Mannn I am getting some major flashbacks. Reminds me of the old cal-i and cal-o days. When halo was taken off a lot of teams went to Klanwars. Before MLG and all that stuff.
I played in one mlg gears of war tournament. Won the first match, then the rest of my team noshowed.
What was before mlg? Game battles? Sometime around ‘04. I played so many kill zone 2 matches on that.

Reactions: sa cyred

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I beat normal with my gunslinger, and got my shit pushed in on elite. I checked my stats out, and I have virtually zero resistance. I bruted my way through the campaign on normal.

There's a penalty to resistance on Elite, and then in Ultimate, so whatever the numbers say on your equipment, it is going to be les than that total - something like 25% or so. You have to change your gear and get better resistances. The same thing happened to me in Path of Exile - I got melted on the second level up until I changed my stuff.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I played in one mlg gears of war tournament. Won the first match, then the rest of my team noshowed.
What was before mlg? Game battles? Sometime around ‘04. I played so many kill zone 2 matches on that.
Yep gamebattles. Ahhh I played one of the CODs there.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Fortnite just added a new arena mode that basically gets rid of the first 10 minutes of the game. It’s actually quite fun but they only have a trios version right now

Reactions: Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig