OT: Video Game Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
Anyone familiar with fixing motherboards, or noticing damage to one?
I’m trying to fix a joycon(controller) for a Nintendo switch. When I tried to disconnect the battery, I think I ripped the wire harness connected to the motherboard off instead of the wire separating from it.
If I ripped it off, could it be repaired? If I didn’t, how the hell do I reconnect it?
View attachment 449035
Yup, that is damage. A big trace is lifted off. It isn't impossible but it won't be easy to do correctly. See that green coated copper pulling off the board? Take a razer blade or exacto knife and scrape some of the green on top to reveal the copper underneath. Hopefully there is enough left to reach almost the same spot as the one above it. Do not remove the green from anything except that lifted part. Do you know how to solder? Option one is putting the connector back on the board and using a really fine tip or hot air to re-flow those joints. Option two is cutting the connector off entirely, separating the wires, and soldering each one individually where its supposed to go. Option two is easier but you need to be able to trace out where the wires go. Not hard to do if you have a multimeter or if you can visibly see which pin each wire goes to. And if that wire goes to a battery, do not just cut them all since it will short out and spark, possibly damaging the battery. You will need to strip the wire carefully and snip each one individually, then prevent them from touching with tape or something.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yup, that is damage. A big trace is lifted off. It isn't impossible but it won't be easy to do correctly. See that green coated copper pulling off the board? Take a razer blade or exacto knife and scrape some of the green on top to reveal the copper underneath. Hopefully there is enough left to reach almost the same spot as the one above it. Do not remove the green from anything except that lifted part. Do you know how to solder? Option one is putting the connector back on the board and using a really fine tip or hot air to re-flow those joints. Option two is cutting the connector off entirely, separating the wires, and soldering each one individually where its supposed to go. Option two is easier but you need to be able to trace out where the wires go. Not hard to do if you have a multimeter or if you can visibly see which pin each wire goes to. And if that wire goes to a battery, do not just cut them all since it will short out and spark, possibly damaging the battery. You will need to strip the wire carefully and snip each one individually, then prevent them from touching with tape or something.
Thanks bud. A buddy of mine is pretty good with electronics and soldering, and is going to help me out.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I bought Pathfinder: Kingmaker on steam the other day. So far I’m liking it, but it feels like it takes forever to make any real progression (story/quest wise not character level wise).
Anyone play it before or currently?

Reactions: trostol

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Any Stadia bros out there? I got the Founders Edition when it came out but never really played because my internet connection wasn't great at the time so everything was laggy (plus there weren't a ton of games at launch). I got back into it recently and both my internet connection and Stadia itself has improved. Pretty awesome stuff. Highly recommended, even if there aren't a ton of AAA games.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
With 50+ hours into FFXIV, I see the appeal (obviously). I can see why it was recently ranked #1 in MMORPGS. The amount of thing you can do is insane.

Reactions: Lord Defect

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I bought Pathfinder: Kingmaker on steam the other day. So far I’m liking it, but it feels like it takes forever to make any real progression (story/quest wise not character level wise).
Anyone play it before or currently?

just wait til you get your "base"

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Hi, long time listener first time caller to this thread. Does anyone here play Grim Dawn? A couple of friends and I have been distance playing it for months. Basically a post-apocalyptical Diablo.
Just bought it for like $7. No dlc. I’ll give it a try after I get through pathfinder.

Reactions: BernieParent

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
how solo-friendly is Valheim?

mostly i am trying to find something to buy on sale on Steam

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
how solo-friendly is Valheim?

mostly i am trying to find something to buy on sale on Steam
I’ve played it solo up to the second boss(didn’t kill) with my laptop issues, it stuttered a bit but was still enjoyable. If you like that type of game, it’s a must imo.
I think it may still be in early access though if that matters to you.

Reactions: trostol

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Hi, long time listener first time caller to this thread. Does anyone here play Grim Dawn? A couple of friends and I have been distance playing it for months. Basically a post-apocalyptical Diablo.
I gave grim dawn a shot tonight. So far I’m a fan. Level 19 Occultist/Arcanist. I have the crow and hellhound pet, the dreeg eye massive Bomb, with the replicating missile.
I have no idea what I’m doing. So lost with the constellations and gear in general. What the hell kind of weapon should I be using on a build that doesn’t hit at all? Acid bonus weapons are very few and far between.
I’m still using level 5 gear just for the massive stat wall over the level 19 gear in finding.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I gave grim dawn a shot tonight. So far I’m a fan. Level 19 Occultist/Arcanist. I have the crow and hellhound pet, the dreeg eye massive Bomb, with the replicating missile.
I have no idea what I’m doing. So lost with the constellations and gear in general. What the hell kind of weapon should I be using on a build that doesn’t hit at all? Acid bonus weapons are very few and far between.
I’m still using level 5 gear just for the massive stat wall over the level 19 gear in finding.

I'm glad you like it, m'Lord. It's a fun game both as multiplayer and solo. I agree that the constellation stuff is way overwhelming, with so many options. For anyone who cares, you find the occasional ruined or desecrated shrine that, if you restore, will give you points for devotion towards major and minor deities. I stuck with the low-total-point ones to easily max on the rewards each point gives, but haven't played the game enough to try any other strategy.

I hear you, too, about weapons. More often than not, it isn't the highest-level ones that are the most useful. My advice is not to overthink trying to choose exactly the right stuff because you will invariably find something better later on. Plus, keep items that work on different elements (fire, lightning, aether, acid/poison), especially for resistance, to switch to when you encounter a boss that uses these attacks. Make good use of your stash space.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I'm glad you like it, m'Lord. It's a fun game both as multiplayer and solo. I agree that the constellation stuff is way overwhelming, with so many options. For anyone who cares, you find the occasional ruined or desecrated shrine that, if you restore, will give you points for devotion towards major and minor deities. I stuck with the low-total-point ones to easily max on the rewards each point gives, but haven't played the game enough to try any other strategy.

I hear you, too, about weapons. More often than not, it isn't the highest-level ones that are the most useful. My advice is not to overthink trying to choose exactly the right stuff because you will invariably find something better later on. Plus, keep items that work on different elements (fire, lightning, aether, acid/poison), especially for resistance, to switch to when you encounter a boss that uses these attacks. Make good use of your stash space.
Any tips on finding the blacksmith? I’m level 22 now and working my way into a different direction than the side quests want. A smithy seems important tho.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I didn't get very far in the endgame, but enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. That's probably the best slowly-paced ARPG of this generation.

Since you liked that, check in on Last Epoch every once in a while. It's still in Early Access, so features are being implemented over time. I'm waiting for co-op to be added later this year before I buy it, but the devs were hard-core PoE players who prefer that slower pace like PoE used to have and GD still does. It's the only promising ARPG in development I can find.

Any tips on finding the blacksmith? I’m level 22 now and working my way into a different direction than the side quests want. A smithy seems important tho.

You get the first one in Act 1. Something Outskirts iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad