OT: Video Game Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I didn't get very far in the endgame, but enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. That's probably the best slowly-paced ARPG of this generation.

Since you liked that, check in on Last Epoch every once in a while. It's still in Early Access, so features are being implemented over time. I'm waiting for co-op to be added later this year before I buy it, but the devs were hard-core PoE players who prefer that slower pace like PoE used to have and GD still does. It's the only promising ARPG in development I can find.

You get the first one in Act 1. Something Outskirts iirc.

Thanks, Jojo. I am even smitten by the little details. Like being on a higher area and being able to see my character's shadow in the water of the valley below. Or hearing the muffled thuds of arrows hitting nearby from an unseen foe. The more experienced gamers, especially those who know how game design works, are likely not as impressed but that attention to detail really adds to my gameplay experience.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Finally got myself a gaming laptop. Went laptop over desktop due to wanting mobility.

Picked up the brand new Lenovo Legion 5 Pro, (RTX 3070). It is a FANTASTIC laptop and highly recommend if you can find it. One of the best bang for buck you can find out there. Legions are known for their cooling and they went over and beyond with it. If you can get lucky Walmart has them for $1529 online or you can find the local in store “unicorn” that one is only $1399. You won’t find anything near that with those specs

Reactions: Lord Defect

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
oh god what have I done

65f6cc7640e6f7fdff84178e48774f09.png

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
@BernieParent @Captain Dave Poulin
This is a partial build I found for a pet build, but they don’t use my secondary.
9DB66B93-CA9B-481B-8A1D-E7F038BF3190.png
289EB8B7-3B00-4078-BCB2-7E31B71AD893.png

I’m a level 44 or so Occultist/Archanist
What is supposed to be my main source of damage other than the pets? I have the dreegs eye set to the grenade mod and whatever missile the archanist class has that pierces through mobs and splits up.
The build guide doesn’t seem to offer me any direct damage.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
@BernieParent @Captain Dave Poulin
This is a partial build I found for a pet build, but they don’t use my secondary.
View attachment 452691 View attachment 452692
I’m a level 44 or so Occultist/Archanist
What is supposed to be my main source of damage other than the pets? I have the dreegs eye set to the grenade mod and whatever missile the archanist class has that pierces through mobs and splits up.
The build guide doesn’t seem to offer me any direct damage.

Thanks for this tip. I am a Trickster (Nightblade / Shaman) and have Briarthorn up to about 10th level.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I still also have no real idea of what I’m doing. Especially when it comes to all these damage types.
I know the missile I use is elemental(I think it was called) and dreeg eye is acid. But all the other types, no clue.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think I just beat the core game.
Loghearran
the spelling may be wrong.
What is the order of the dlc so I can do those in order eventually?

I don't think it matters too much which order you do the DLC. I just started AoM - my guide went to Forgotten Gods first, but it was at an earlier level, and said it wasn't that important.

The thing that Jojo taught me in Path of Exile - and it perfectly applies to Grim Dawn as well - is that everything is connected. The constellations should work in concert with your gear and your skills, but each of those three areas should also compensate for holes in the others. For example, if you have amazing gear, but your resistances are low, you can get some help for that in the devotions. If you are doing a lot of damage, but your health is low, you can look at the skills and get a defensive skill as your emergency when you get in trouble.

That's why it's best to follow a guide closely - these people (if they are any good) know the ins and outs of the game well and have tested it to optimize everything. Like my build is a dual-wield pierce blademaster. One of the keys is pierce damage, obviously, but another is attack speed - it has a huge impact on my damage. When I pick up loot (and I pick up everything) if the first thing I see is "Cold Damage" or "Elemental Damage," I know pretty much right away that it's not going to be a good fit for my build.

tl;dr get a good guide and follow it to the letter. Then later when you know the game better you can play around. I mean, you can test things out now too, but the basics have to be in place if it is going to work.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I don't think it matters too much which order you do the DLC. I just started AoM - my guide went to Forgotten Gods first, but it was at an earlier level, and said it wasn't that important.

The thing that Jojo taught me in Path of Exile - and it perfectly applies to Grim Dawn as well - is that everything is connected. The constellations should work in concert with your gear and your skills, but each of those three areas should also compensate for holes in the others. For example, if you have amazing gear, but your resistances are low, you can get some help for that in the devotions. If you are doing a lot of damage, but your health is low, you can look at the skills and get a defensive skill as your emergency when you get in trouble.

That's why it's best to follow a guide closely - these people (if they are any good) know the ins and outs of the game well and have tested it to optimize everything. Like my build is a dual-wield pierce blademaster. One of the keys is pierce damage, obviously, but another is attack speed - it has a huge impact on my damage. When I pick up loot (and I pick up everything) if the first thing I see is "Cold Damage" or "Elemental Damage," I know pretty much right away that it's not going to be a good fit for my build.

tl;dr get a good guide and follow it to the letter. Then later when you know the game better you can play around. I mean, you can test things out now too, but the basics have to be in place if it is going to work.
Since I beat the story with that toon, I rolled up a demolitionist. I’m enjoying that one so far but the builds I found for it, all seem to focus on the end game and have no mention on suggested leveling up info. It’s just “these skills but you have to have this gear or the rest is junk”.
I can’t even figure out how to equip 2 damn pistols but have no issue holding a pistol and shield for some reason.
Side question, is mouse 1 still you’re movement or did you remap to wasd?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, I would never take movement from mouse - that's my jam. It's the only reason I can play this lol. I can't use WASD at all.

The thing about leveling was my problem too, until I found this guide. My first guy was soldier + demo and had these shoulders that had a chance to drop canister bombs =- it was cool as shit, but I had nothing to base it on.

Look online for "dual wield pistols" and "gunslinger build" - I know you can do it, but I can't remember what it is. It's something like nightblade + oathkeeper.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, I would never take movement from mouse - that's my jam. It's the only reason I can play this lol. I can't use WASD at all.

The thing about leveling was my problem too, until I found this guide. My first guy was soldier + demo and had these shoulders that had a chance to drop canister bombs =- it was cool as shit, but I had nothing to base it on.

Look online for "dual wield pistols" and "gunslinger build" - I know you can do it, but I can't remember what it is. It's something like nightblade + oathkeeper.
Oooooh. Ok I just found out the only way to dual wield pistols is an inquisitor passive skill or some gear pieces allow the use.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
So I made the amulet that let’s you dual wield, and didn’t realize it has a level requirement of 25 on it. I was 18 at the time.
I promptly found 2 gunslinger jackets(level 20 req).
So now I can dual wield multiple ways, is there any reason to have two copies of that jacket? Can I augment one with the other or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad