Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
?

Zegras is that Burrows type player and Boldy is a Tkachuk clone with not as much nasty to his game.

Small? both will be 6 foot or more when fully mature. Sure, they are a bit on the lighter side right now but will definitely fill out with the style of hockey they play.
Considering the fact neither of the other guys are large on that line, I’d want someone who can separate players from the puck using their physicality. Someone who can be feared in the corner because they’re gonna crush you on that line. A smart enough north south guy who goes to the net, bangs loose garbage when he’s not digging the puck out for the two skilled guys.

I honestly don’t see those comparisons that you’ve used.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Anyone who brings up the ‘it’s good we made a bad pick because otherwise we wouldn’t have sucked enough to draft highly in later years’ argument should be encased in lead and buried 50 feet under the arctic tundra because their complete and utter lack of intelligence is an affront to humanity.

Good thing no one has made that argument.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not really. To pretend they are the same is intellectual laziness.

No, it isn’t.

Just because they aren’t saying it in the words I did doesn’t mean that isn’t the point they’re trying to make/deflect toward. If someone is talking about the blown Juolevi pick and the response is ‘well we wouldn’t have Pettersson then!’ ... it’s pretty obvious they’re using that idiotic rationale to defend a bad pick.

It is literally the exact same thing as if a Benning critic was responding to people happy about Pettersson by pointing out that he cost us a better pick/prospect in 2019 and 2020.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
We should be prioritizing fixing our defense. Scoring while important isnt a complete disaster. Our defense is.

Edler and tanev are probably the most injury prone top pairing. I dont even know if they can play at a true top pairing level next season. We need to fix the defense there's no future top pairing guys in the system to replace them.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
But they’re not defending a bad pick (well apart from one obvious troll). You can acknowledge the team blew that pick but still be happy with how things turned out. Which is separate from being happy with failure or making significant draft day mistakes.

If you think it’s ‘literally the exact same thing’ I think your reading skills are lacking.

Reactions: lousy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The wheels are secondary, just a dman who can make Quick accurate passes to the forwards would be great. The Canucks dmen send hail Mary passes way too much, and finding someone who can make the smart pass to start a breakout is going to help tons.

Hughes' skating is great, but what I've been really impressed by is his quick decisions to make the easy outlet pass which opens up the longer passes and skating lanes for him to exploit.

True about Hughes. Getting another guy like him isn’t happening; he’s unique. Like you say we need Dmen who can read the play and make the right pass on time and on the tape. I really don’t know who that would be though? EK is getting injured a lot now, so I wonder if he’s safe. Jake Gardiner is a pretty skater, but I think he plays afraid to get hit. Meyers maybe?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thread title's been edited accordingly

Thanks for the clarification. Do we currently have a guy who can score, think the game at a high level, and retrieve pucks. I think we really only have one true top six winger - Boeser. Maybe Pearson could fill that role, but I think he’s best suited to play third line, like Virtanen. What we need to find is a Mitch Marner, or Johnny Hockey kind of player. Maybe that Caufield kid in this draft could be that guy!

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Don't we have Boeser, Leivo, Virtanen on the right side?

Are we moving Virtanen to the 4th line? Or moving someone to the left wing side?

He's also looking to add a LWer for Pettersson. Benning is aiming for a top 6 LW and RW in free agency? I guess it's possible with our cap room but that's a tall ask for anyone. Free agency historically hasn't been kind to many teams unless they get an elite level NHLer. I'd prefer us to stay the course than push for the playoffs. We are missing several pieces that still need to be drafted before we can even think of playoffs. If we start drafting in the teens, I really don't see us getting the necessary core pieces to make us a contender. We would be headed for guaranteed mediocrity.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is just setting up perfectly for a free agency disaster.

Think we could sign another winner like Errikson to six years? Is there any winger out there, not named Parnarin, we should even have interest in? D rather spend 10 million over six years for Parnarin than 6 over six for a second tier guy like Ferkland.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Think we could sign another winner like Errikson to six years? Is there any winger out there, not named Parnarin, we should even have interest in? D rather spend 10 million over six years for Parnarin than 6 over six for a second tier guy like Ferkland.

If we don’t sign Ferland 5/5 with a NTC or NMC I would be blown away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese