Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Irrespective of how the signing turned out, Eriksson was generally considered a top-3 UFA in a loaded class when he was signed and not a consolation prize, and he specifically wanted to come to Vancouver. The Canucks have never had a problem attracting free agents. You can claim Benning will target the wrong ones, and you may be right, but there's no reason to believe attracting the right ones will be impossible.

Wasn't Lucic their primary target?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Regardless if Pettersson requested this or not,

Benning has already publicly said he would like to add a top 6 forward and a defenceman via FA or trade this off-season.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Pettersson's bluntness is almost Ovechkin-like. He's willing to say what's on his mind and talk about reality. None of this Henrik Sedin crap "oh I felt we played well tonight" after a 5-0 loss. I still think Horvat is probably the one who's better equipped to take over as captain, but Pettersson definitely shows those qualities and should be in consideration. At least an A.

If only Benning didn't screw up our 2016 pick. Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser would be an elite first line.

Just so sad that it history played itself this way with our dumbass GM. Tkachuk - Petey - Boeser would be one of the top lines in the NHL, if not top 3-5.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Wasn't Lucic their primary target?
Unless I missed something, your argument was that the Canucks are unable to attract UFAs in general, not that they were unable to attract one particular free agent and instead had to sign one considered roughly equivalent to a similar contract, which describes any team that has ever attempted to sign a free agent.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Unless I missed something, your argument was that the Canucks are unable to attract UFAs in general, not that they were unable to attract one particular free agent and instead had to sign one considered roughly equivalent to a similar contract.

Their primary target is Lucic, who promptly told Benning where he can shove it. So they settled for Eriksson.

Outside of Eriksson, what other big name UFAs does this team have?

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
I don't subscribe to the Athletic. Does Botchford actually substantiate the claim that Pettersson asked management to acquire a winger for him, or explain where he heard this?

Pettersson only said he would like to play with a LW who could score goals because he would prefer to be a playmaker. He did not make any demand/ultimatum.

"It is worth pointing out here, Pettersson still views himself as a playmaker first, which is why he wants a goal scorer on his left wing, and that’s a desire that has filtered to the Canucks brass, who will prioritize the need to find him another top-six winger who can score regularly."

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pettersson only said he would like to play with a LW who could score goals because he would prefer to be a playmaker. He did not make any demand/ultimatum.

"It is worth pointing out here, Pettersson still views himself as a playmaker first, which is why he wants a goal scorer on his left wing, and that’s a desire that has filtered to the Canucks brass, who will prioritize the need to find him another top-six winger who can score regularly."
Thank you for posting this...and clarifying the situation.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Their primary target is Lucic, who promptly told Benning where he can shove it. So they settled for Eriksson.

Outside of Eriksson, what other big name UFAs does this team have?

This isn't true. The Canucks were pursuing both players concurrently and hoped to get at least one of them:

Canucks admit they'll try to sign Milan Lucic

Lucic is also quoted as saying it was his desire to play with McDavid, and not antipathy toward any other team, that made his decision:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-sign-lucic-1.3661551

You're correct that there are examples of free agents choosing not to sign with the Canucks. Since this is true of all teams, you're losing me where you think this proves free agents in general don't want to sign here.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This isn't true. The Canucks were pursuing both players concurrently and hoped to get at least one of them:

Canucks admit they'll try to sign Milan Lucic

Lucic is also quoted as saying it was his desire to play with McDavid, and not antipathy toward any other team, that made his decision:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-sign-lucic-1.3661551

You're correct that there are examples of free agents choosing not to sign with the Canucks. Since this is true of all teams, you're losing me where you think this proves free agents in general don't want to sign here.

OK then tell me this, aside from Eriksson who's basically here to collect his pension check, which other big name UFA do we have?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I just hope we don't sign Michael Ferland, we have a similar player in Pearson now.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
OK then tell me this, aside from Eriksson who's basically here to collect his pension check, which other big name UFA do we have?
You haven't specified yet what an absence of big-name UFAs on the roster proves, if anything. Only a few reach UFA status each year. This year is exceptional in that there are several. Last year there was one - Tavares. The second ranked free agent according to most sources was Van Riemsdyk. In 2017 there was one in Radulov, maybe two if you include Shatenkirk. In 2016 there were 3 or 4, in 2015 there were basically none. In 2014 Benning signed the consensus no.2 free agent in Ryan Miller. If we're generous and say there are about 3 or 4 premier UFAs a season, then each team can expect to sign one, on average, about every 8 or 10 seasons. This is independent of each team's situation and whether it would be advisable for them to sign any of them. So with a sample size of 5 free agent periods and the likelihood of any one team signing a star UFA in that period rising marginally above 50% or not at all, and the Canucks signing at least one and arguably two of them, can you explain how the lack of a star UFA on the roster is evidence they don't want to sign in Vancouver?

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You haven't specified yet what an absence of big-name UFAs on the roster proves, if anything. Only a few reach UFA status each year. This year is exceptional in that there are several. Last year there was one - Tavares. The second ranked free agent according to most sources was Van Riemsdyk. In 2017 there was one in Radulov, maybe two if you include Shatenkirk. In 2016 there were 3 or 4, in 2015 there were basically none. In 2014 Benning signed the consensus no.2 free agent in Ryan Miller. If we're generous and say there are about 3 or 4 premier UFAs a season, then each team can expect to sign one, on average, about every 8 or 10 seasons. This is independent of each team's situation and whether it would be advisable for them to sign any of them. So with a sample size of 5 free agent periods and the likelihood of any one team signing a star UFA in that period rising marginally above 50% or not at all, can you explain how the lack of a star UFA on the roster is evidence they don't want to sign in Vancouver?

Let's look at this from a player's perspective, what does the Canucks have that other teams cannot provide better? Maybe the city's nice weather? That's about it. This team is nothing close to pretending to be a cup winner, there are plenty of other teams willing to pay as much as if not more money, and plenty other teams with way better players whom an UFA can play with. Not to mention our GM's lovely reputation of being a total dimwit.

Based on how Eriksson plays, and what he said, he seems uninterested in the cup and just wanted a nice place to cash in. Having him on the team is hardly evidence of this team being able to attract any UFAs.

If the lack of any worthy UFA is not evidence of the team's inability to attract any big players, then on the other side of the coin would be: what evidence is there that the team IS of any attraction to any UFAs?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
And another puck moving D man, with wheels.

The wheels are secondary, just a dman who can make Quick accurate passes to the forwards would be great. The Canucks dmen send hail Mary passes way too much, and finding someone who can make the smart pass to start a breakout is going to help tons.

Hughes' skating is great, but what I've been really impressed by is his quick decisions to make the easy outlet pass which opens up the longer passes and skating lanes for him to exploit.

Reactions: Luckylarry

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And you are discounting the effect Tkachuk had while playing on the flames, which would effect all their games in some way, which would then effect the teams they are playing against. You cannot claim there would be absolutely no difference if he was just sent to the minors here. You cannot claim there would be no difference to how the canucks place, which would influence their pick.

I am not saying there was no chance we would end up with Petterson, but you cannot also claim he would definitely be here.

Yes I can, and I do.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Let's look at this from a player's perspective, what does the Canucks have that other teams cannot provide better? Maybe the city's nice weather? That's about it. This team is nothing close to pretending to be a cup winner, there are plenty of other teams willing to pay as much as if not more money, and plenty other teams with way better players whom an UFA can play with. Not to mention our GM's lovely reputation of being a total dimwit.

Based on how Eriksson plays, and what he said, he seems uninterested in the cup and just wanted a nice place to cash in. Having him on the team is hardly evidence of this team being able to attract any UFAs.

If the lack of any worthy UFA is not evidence of the team's inability to attract any big players, then on the other side of the coin would be: what evidence is there that the team IS of any attraction to any UFAs?

These are just a bunch of anecdotal remarks. Do you understand that during Jim Benning's tenure most teams have not signed any big name free agents, and that this undermines your original contention that the lack of big-name UFAs on the roster proves they are reluctant to sign here? I assume it does since you seem to be abandoning it.

Well, Ryan Miller, a premier free agent who signed her recently, cited the proximity of the city to his wife's work.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
These are just a bunch of anecdotal remarks. Do you understand that during Jim Benning's tenure most teams have not signed any big name free agents, and that this undermines your original contention that the lack of big-name UFAs on the roster proves they are reluctant to sign here? I assume it does since you seem to be abandoning it.

Well, Ryan Miller, a premier free agent who signed her recently, cited the proximity of the city to his wife's work.

because I looked back and see the team had not pursued many UFAs, so I thought OK, maybe my conclusion was premature as I don't have enough evidence to support my narrative.

If this city can attract UFAs, then let's see what this summer can bring us.

And what excuses will be brought up if we failed to attract any.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
because I looked back and see the team had not pursued many UFAs, so I thought OK, maybe my conclusion was premature as I don't have enough evidence to support my narrative.

If this city can attract UFAs, then let's see what this summer can bring us.

And what excuses will be brought up if we failed to attract any.
Excuses will be optional but not necessary, since it's statistically unlikely that any particular team will sign a premiere UFA this offseason. I'm sure the Canucks will pursue Panarin. It's entirely possible he has no interest in signing here and the team's record may well be a reason for it.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Excuses will be optional but not necessary, since it's statistically unlikely that any particular team will sign a premiere UFA this offseason. I'm still not sure you understand this.

Weren't there people who harped on the idea that this team should go for all the big UFAs this summer in order to push for playoff next season?

What, did those people turn tail that quickly?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Weren't there people who harped on the idea that this team should go for all the big UFAs this summer in order to push for playoff next season?

What, did those people turn tail that quickly?
I have no idea. I wouldn't be too proud of finding people on the internet who disagree with you or put too much stock in their existence.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I have no idea. I wouldn't be too proud of finding people on the internet who disagree with you or put too much stock in their existence.

What's actually concerning is if we bring in someone who's not a top dog (Ferland...) and pay them top dollars.

I am hoping that won't be the case.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
What's actually concerning is if we bring in someone who's not a top dog (Ferland...) and pay them top dollars.

I am hoping that won't be the case.
I agree. I'd give money to Panarin and otherwise conserve it.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Thread title's been edited accordingly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad