Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Consensus : Nylander,McCann,Merkley,Tkachuk,Glass,Hughes
Reality : Virtanen,McCann,Boeser,Juolevi,Pettersson,Hughes

I said BPA, not consensus. Very, very different. Though I get why you purposefully misinterpreted it for the sake of your argument.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You mean..don't draft by needs in certain position?

That's a big part of it. Never draft for need in the first round, especially pre-20 OA. But when you say "need" that doesn't only mean by position. Need could also be like we "need grit" or we "need size" or we "need leadership." The only one I'll buy is skating, though Horvat's proven you can even improve that with the right coaching. My issue with how management has drafted in certain occasions is that they seem to go down some sort of player trait checklist (size ... check, rip the puck ... check) and fail to look at the overall package, or think ahead to development. That also links to those reports that they didn't want to take Tkachuk because they had Virtanen ... like no ... that is not how it works.

Brackett has gone on record as the Canucks believing Pettersson was the BPA in the draft. They'd have taken him 1 OA. That's how you should be drafting.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
That's a big part of it. Never draft for need in the first round, especially pre-20 OA. But when you say "need" that doesn't only mean by position. Need could also be like we "need grit" or we "need size" or we "need leadership." The only one I'll buy is skating, though Horvat's proven you can even improve that with the right coaching. My issue with how management has drafted in certain occasions is that they seem to go down some sort of player trait checklist (size ... check, rip the puck ... check) and fail to look at the overall package, or think ahead to development. That also links to those reports that they didn't want to take Tkachuk because they had Virtanen ... like no ... that is not how it works.

Brackett has gone on record as the Canucks believing Pettersson was the BPA in the draft. They'd have taken him 1 OA. That's how you should be drafting.

I thought Benning hinted to having Makar at #1.

Makar
EP
Heisk

I think was our draft board

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I thought Benning hinted to having Makar at #1.

Makar
EP
Heisk

I think was our draft board

I'd have to find it, but there was an interview with Brackett recently and I think he said they'd have taken Pettersson anywhere, and potentially the same for Hughes.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Really wish Jimbo was working the phones when Niederreiter was traded, that was such a heist for the Canes. It's the type of buy-low move you hope the Canucks would be in on.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As per mike Gillis be would go after puck retrieval players for pettersson/horvat.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
After the playoffs new names will emerge. Hopefully somebody thinks Petterson is his ticket to a career year. Canucks are set in goal and only need a couple of pieces. They are more attractive on ice than they have been in years! Good things might happen!?
Preach on bruddah!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad