Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Agreed. Every move impacts the next move. If the Canucks take Tkachuck that changes how their 16-17 season goes since Tkachuck played that year. Different story if we're talking about players who all returned to junior after the draft or something.

What is the point differential of that move for the Canucks?
Are the Flames as good without Tkachuck? Who would they take? The only other 1st rounder after Tkachuck who played was Chrychurn in AZ.

So, who gains/loses points against Van/Cal that year? So, other teams can rise/fall in the standings of that change.

Final Standings were Col/Van/AZ/NJ/Buf. Van had 69 points, AZ and NJ had 70. Buf had 78, Det and Dal with 79.

Plus, from what we've heard, the Canucks had Makar rated higher? And if AZ had a draft position higher than Vancouver, and they still made that NYR deal, the Rangers were reportedly targeting Pettersson, but NJ/Phi/Col/Dal were not trading down to them because then their guy whom they ultimately picked would not have been there as none of those 4 were getting past both Van & LV.

So, plenty of things that would lead to an unlikely Tkachuck and Pettersson duo. Impossible for it to have happened? No. But, lots of moving parts.
Pettersson finished with 7 GWG, Tkachuk finished his rookie year with 13 playing 2nd line minutes. Petey factored into 14 points in just him scoring goals. I seen sportnet panels post that he had 9 Game tying goals, which would mean that’s not 23 points he factored into as a total, and the Canucks only finished 8 points above last season with a 66 point rookie leading their charge. Tkachuk finished his season around 46-48 and 13 goals. The Canucks also finished like 6 points behind the team ahead of them when they choose Juolevi, so I highly HIGHLY doubt Tkachuk’s rookie season which barely compared to petey’s where the improvement was 8 points and 1 goal overall for the season would be the difference between finished 3rd worst in the league that year. It’s not hard to look this shit up, just do the work. Anyone who says against this is plain stupid Benning slurper.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Ehlers and EP would be an interesting combo..
The Petey/Boeser combo needs a corner digger. They need their Burrows type of guy. Some who goes to the corner, digs it out and gives it to the skill guys to do their thing while he then parks his ass infront of the net. Small wingers is exactly what Canucks don’t need! Which is why I’m against Zegras and Boldy as draft picks as well

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pettersson finished with 7 GWG, Tkachuk finished his rookie year with 13 playing 2nd line minutes. Petey factored into 14 points in just him scoring goals. I seen sportnet panels post that he had 9 Game tying goals, which would mean that’s not 23 points he factored into as a total, and the Canucks only finished 8 points above last season with a 66 point rookie leading their charge. Tkachuk finished his season around 46-48 and 13 goals. The Canucks also finished like 6 points behind the team ahead of them when they choose Juolevi, so I highly HIGHLY doubt Tkachuk’s rookie season which barely compared to petey’s where the improvement was 8 points and 1 goal overall for the season would be the difference between finished 3rd worst in the league that year. It’s not hard to look this **** up, just do the work. Anyone who says against this is plain stupid Benning slurper.

It wouldn't make up the difference. Sidney Crosby led the league in Wins Above Replacement that year with 5. If someone wants to make the argument that a rookie Tkachuk would have led the league in Wins Above Replacement...it's not worth having a discussion with that person because they're wrong and won't let any fact or reality change their thinking.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Petey/Boeser combo needs a corner digger. They need their Burrows type of guy. Some who goes to the corner, digs it out and gives it to the skill guys to do their thing while he then parks his ass infront of the net. Small wingers is exactly what Canucks don’t need! Which is why I’m against Zegras and Boldy as draft picks as well
So which players are you for around the 8-10 range?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It wouldn't make up the difference. Sidney Crosby led the league in Wins Above Replacement that year with 5. If someone wants to make the argument that a rookie Tkachuk would have led the league in Wins Above Replacement...it's not worth having a discussion with that person because they're wrong and won't let any fact or reality change their thinking.
This is why I actually like interacting with you still. Able to make quality fact based arguments. I was trying to stick to things most casuals know, like basic measured metrics.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So which players are you for around the 8-10 range?
None really. I like Soderstrom, but that’s more because he’s able to play AHL next year to start his development in NA soon. He’s probably not a 8th overall though, which is fine. I still expect a 3 spot drop in the lottery no matter if we had best chances or worst chances.

Also for context, I also believe this team to not be close to playoff hockey even next year. So I’d much rather just be bad again next year with 1 year extensions to Edler/Hutton to allow flexibility to move on and place even further down the standings at the end of next season to draft a HIGH QUALITY LW. Exactly the type that I want for Petey, that would give the Canucks 7 years of RFA control as well. Instead of a 29-33 year old on 7-10 million for 5-7 years.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks only have 3 top 6 forwards (EP, Brock, Bo) and about 10-12 3rd liners and 4th line plugs. 0ffence was 26th in the league, PP% 22nd. They desperately need to add a skilled scoring winger.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks only have 3 top 6 forwards (EP, Brock, Bo) and about 10-12 3rd liners and 4th line plugs. The PP was 25th in league, offence was 24th in the league. They desperately need to add a skilled scoring winger.

And another puck moving D man, with wheels.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
We are forgetting about Duchene who will make it to free agency.

Would look incredible on Pettersson's wing.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who brings up the ‘it’s good we made a bad pick because otherwise we wouldn’t have sucked enough to draft highly in later years’ argument should be encased in lead and buried 50 feet under the arctic tundra because their complete and utter lack of intelligence is an affront to humanity.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Botch is just throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks...The chances of this kid issuing some sort of ultimatum about finding a scoring winger for his line is frankly laughable.

The 'lack of a scoring winger' isn't the reason he recorded two goals in 21 games....it's that the rest of the league started to figure out how to stop him. And the googly, bubbly Canuck faithful might be in for a rude shock when he comes in next year and struggles much like he did down the stretch this year.

The NHL always has been a tough league on sophomore players.

Reactions: Var and DonnyNucker

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
While Benning messed up that pick, it is also not reality to just assume picking Tkatchuk means we would have Petterson. Truth is, no one can say how that would have effected things.

It's an immaterial hypothetical. You always take the best player available ... as that exact draft pick demonstrates. You don't tank a draft pick because there "might be a Pettersson" in the next draft. It's even dumber to look back and say blowing a draft pick was a somehow a good thing.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
It's an immaterial hypothetical. You always take the best player available ... as that exact draft pick demonstrates. You don't tank a draft pick because there "might be a Pettersson" in the next draft. It's even dumber to look back and say blowing a draft pick was a somehow a good thing.
Exactly

Using that as an excuse for blowing on a draft pick is absurd. Serious mental gymnastics going on there.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Even if we win the lottery we shouldn't take Hughes because Lafreniere is better!!

Pettersson's bluntness is almost Ovechkin-like. He's willing to say what's on his mind and talk about reality. None of this Henrik Sedin crap "oh I felt we played well tonight" after a 5-0 loss. I still think Horvat is probably the one who's better equipped to take over as captain, but Pettersson definitely shows those qualities and should be in consideration. At least an A.

If only Benning didn't screw up our 2016 pick. Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser would be an elite first line.

This is mental dude. Henrik Sedin HAD TO maintain that demeanor because of the chest thumping rock em sock em morons that would've ran them out of town otherwise. 20 years makes a huge difference; loud, bold Swedes just didn't exist when the Sedins were rookies, especially if they weren't absolute superstars. Forsberg was maybe the closest?

I'm a huge fan of players speaking their mind and most of my favorite athletes fit this mould. But to still have your weird vendetta against the Sedins when it's absolutely clear why they dealt with the media the way they did is a little strange. Remember when Luongo was candid? Dude had to make a f***ing burner account to speak his mind.

I hope Pettersson can continue to speak out without the idiotic hockey media pulling the same shit on him too.

Reactions: cookiefest and bh53

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Actually it’s not that difficult. It’s been reported by Botch (I believe) that there is no way Tkachuk wouldn’t have been sent back to junior. So there would have been absolutely no difference.

And even playing into the scenario where he made the team, his WAR suggests he at most would have bumped the Canucks into New Jersey’s spot. So we would have won the draft lottery.

And you are discounting the effect Tkachuk had while playing on the flames, which would effect all their games in some way, which would then effect the teams they are playing against. You cannot claim there would be absolutely no difference if he was just sent to the minors here. You cannot claim there would be no difference to how the canucks place, which would influence their pick.

I am not saying there was no chance we would end up with Petterson, but you cannot also claim he would definitely be here.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

?

Zegras is that Burrows type player and Boldy is a Tkachuk clone with not as much nasty to his game.

Small? both will be 6 foot or more when fully mature. Sure, they are a bit on the lighter side right now but will definitely fill out with the style of hockey they play.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
And you are discounting the effect Tkachuk had while playing on the flames, which would effect all their games in some way, which would then effect the teams they are playing against. You cannot claim there would be absolutely no difference if he was just sent to the minors here. You cannot claim there would be no difference to how the canucks place, which would influence their pick.

I am not saying there was no chance we would end up with Petterson, but you cannot also claim he would definitely be here.

VzcB0s.gif

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We are forgetting about Duchene who will make it to free agency.

Would look incredible on Pettersson's wing.
Not sure what Duchene will get but him on EP's wing would be a sight to see with the speed and skill. Also having Duchene as a back up top 6 centre would be a great thing to have. Maybe move Boeser back to Horvat and put Leivo on top line. That's a decent top 6.

Duchene Pettersson Leivo
Baertschi Horvat Boeser

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't subscribe to the Athletic. Does Botchford actually substantiate the claim that Pettersson asked management to acquire a winger for him, or explain where he heard this?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Anyone who brings up the ‘it’s good we made a bad pick because otherwise we wouldn’t have sucked enough to draft highly in later years’ argument should be encased in lead and buried 50 feet under the arctic tundra because their complete and utter lack of intelligence is an affront to humanity.

Then what's Benning's excuse for actually doing so?

Mind you, when he gets caught up in his colouring book, can lose track of time and reality.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I hope EP told management to get some quality wingers for him to play with.

You could tell he was fed up with playing with shit for most of the year by the end of the season.

Only worry is they try and acquire Michael Ferland and pass it off like that's a major upgrade.

Soon to be followed by the EP death stare.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Let's just put that one to bed right now. There is absolutely no way to know that and it's certainly not how you should draft.
Especially considering Vegas had Glass as their guy. I doubt Tkachuk provides them with more than 2-3 Ws in his rookie season.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I hope EP told management to get some quality wingers for him to play with.

You could tell he was fed up with playing with **** for most of the year by the end of the season.

Only worry is they try and acquire Michael Ferland and pass it off like that's a major upgrade.

Soon to be followed by the EP death stare.

I can almost guaranty that's PRECISELY what Chief Benningum is planning.

He knows none of the big UFAs wanna come to this piss hole, so he will settle for what he thinks is consolation prize and call it a win.

Case and point: 6 million dollar man Loui Eriksson

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I can almost guaranty that's PRECISELY what Chief Benningum is planning.

He knows none of the big UFAs wanna come to this piss hole, so he will settle for what he thinks is consolation prize and call it a win.

Case and point: 6 million dollar man Loui Eriksson
Irrespective of how the signing turned out, Eriksson was generally considered a top-3 UFA in a loaded class when he was signed and not a consolation prize, and he specifically wanted to come to Vancouver. The Canucks have never had a problem attracting free agents. You can claim Benning will target the wrong ones, and you may be right, but there's no reason to believe attracting the right ones will be impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00