Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Butterfly effect
Agreed. Every move impacts the next move. If the Canucks take Tkachuck that changes how their 16-17 season goes since Tkachuck played that year. Different story if we're talking about players who all returned to junior after the draft or something.

What is the point differential of that move for the Canucks?
Are the Flames as good without Tkachuck? Who would they take? The only other 1st rounder after Tkachuck who played was Chrychurn in AZ.

So, who gains/loses points against Van/Cal that year? So, other teams can rise/fall in the standings of that change.

Final Standings were Col/Van/AZ/NJ/Buf. Van had 69 points, AZ and NJ had 70. Buf had 78, Det and Dal with 79.

Plus, from what we've heard, the Canucks had Makar rated higher? And if AZ had a draft position higher than Vancouver, and they still made that NYR deal, the Rangers were reportedly targeting Pettersson, but NJ/Phi/Col/Dal were not trading down to them because then their guy whom they ultimately picked would not have been there as none of those 4 were getting past both Van & LV.

So, plenty of things that would lead to an unlikely Tkachuck and Pettersson duo. Impossible for it to have happened? No. But, lots of moving parts.

Reactions: lousy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. Every move impacts the next move. If the Canucks take Tkachuck that changes how their 16-17 season goes since Tkachuck played that year. Different story if we're talking about players who all returned to junior after the draft or something.

What is the point differential of that move for the Canucks?
Are the Flames as good without Tkachuck? Who would they take? The only other 1st rounder after Tkachuck who played was Chrychurn in AZ.

So, who gains/loses points against Van/Cal that year? So, other teams can rise/fall in the standings of that change.

Final Standings were Col/Van/AZ/NJ/Buf. Van had 69 points, AZ and NJ had 70. Buf had 78, Det and Dal with 79.

Plus, from what we've heard, the Canucks had Makar rated higher? And if AZ had a draft position higher than Vancouver, and they still made that NYR deal, the Rangers were reportedly targeting Pettersson, but NJ/Phi/Col/Dal were not trading down to them because then their guy whom they ultimately picked would not have been there as none of those 4 were getting past both Van & LV.

So, plenty of things that would lead to an unlikely Tkachuck and Pettersson duo. Impossible for it to have happened? No. But, lots of moving parts.

I really don’t see what this has to do with logic. This is an appeal to our emotional ties to Petey. “If we take Tkatchuk we don’t have Petey.”
Petey has asked for a top line winger to go with him and Boeser. Hopefully we win the draft lotto and Getz Jack Hughes.

member 290103

Tkachuk likely would have been returned to junior.

Benning is such a f***ing moron.

Reactions: vanuck

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I have full confidence that Benning will make this happen ASAP.Just like it only took him 5 seasons to “find a defenceman who could help us with our power play”.

Reactions: B-rock

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Nope... You and others are taking a leap here that is not intended and not valid. But carry on

And you're basically trolling and bringing nothing of substance to the discussion. So have fun with that.

If you want to discuss ... discuss. Don't chime in with a bunch of hanging sentences designed to elicit an emotional response.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
And you're basically trolling and bringing nothing of substance to the discussion. So have fun with that.

If you want to discuss ... discuss. Don't chime in with a bunch of hanging sentences designed to elicit an emotional response.

OK....In my view, the issues are:

1) this is not the place for the discussion and it is a ridiculous argument anyways

2) you all have your minds made up and will just mock anyone who disagrees with you

3) for the hypothetical, it is indisputable that looking back at the past and changing a variable/a decision CAN or will change the present. There is no arguing against the fact that it can change something- it is highly likely that it will change something and zero proof that it wouldn't. Somebody suggesting that making a different decision to select MT (which I desperately wanted at the time- worst decision at the draft in JB time!!) would result in changes that could have led to EP not being selected or available is absolutely valid. Clearly, suggesting that it would be a certainty that he wasn't selected or available is obviously not reasonable. However, the specific position that had we made a different decision, we may not have EP is not silly in any way. But it is mocked.

4) And then, people, such as yourself, equate this knowledge that changing a past variable means things would be different today to wishing to not pick a good player today so that we ensure things happen in the future. These two things are not remotely the same. And I have heard nobody with this type of logic express it. I would certainly have not thought to select Juolevi in order to be crap again in the future so we had a better shot at #1 pick. Ridiculous. And not even close to the same reality. One is fact and the other is somebody projecting a belief onto someone with a valid opinion.

Cheers

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
He would have helped the Canucks asap. Nucks wouldnt have sucked as bad and wouldnt be in a position to draft EP.

They would have probably focused their scouting more on a Dman if we didnt get Juolevi.

Either way. I'm happy we have EP40
ok...even though this argument is garbage, lets go with it...

tkachuk helps us win some games (even though he probably wouldn't have played that year...) and we move up the standings a little, sliding into where phi/dal ended up and win the lottery..sounds good to me!

Reactions: ccjon

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
ok...even though this argument is garbage, lets go with it...

tkachuk helps us win some games (even though he probably wouldn't have played that year...) and we move up the standings a little, sliding into where phi/dal ended up and win the lottery..sounds good to me!

And draft Makar who we apparently had #1 ....

My point exactly on butterfly effect.

Everything happened for a reason.....be happy and grateful we have Pettersson

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
While Benning messed up that pick, it is also not reality to just assume picking Tkatchuk means we would have Petterson. Truth is, no one can say how that would have effected things.

Actually it’s not that difficult. It’s been reported by Botch (I believe) that there is no way Tkachuk wouldn’t have been sent back to junior. So there would have been absolutely no difference.

And even playing into the scenario where he made the team, his WAR suggests he at most would have bumped the Canucks into New Jersey’s spot. So we would have won the draft lottery.

Reactions: LaVar and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I actually love that Pettersson isn't a docile good-canadian-kid who wouldn't dare speak out against an organization. Our greatest hope for Benning being fired at this stage is EP hitting a level of frustration with wave after wave of marginal player added around him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He would have helped the Canucks asap. Nucks wouldnt have sucked as bad and wouldnt be in a position to draft EP.

They would have probably focused their scouting more on a Dman if we didnt get Juolevi.

Either way. I'm happy we have EP40

We don’t know if Tkachuk would have made the team out of the gate based on how management would view him and how he’d perform with his line mates here. Even if we fell a spot in the draft based on Tkachuk bolstering the team, we know Vegas would have taken Glass at 5th overall anyways so we’d still have gotten Pettersson at 6th overall. This argument panders to hypotheticals which are silly to rely on.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I actually love that Pettersson isn't a docile good-canadian-kid who wouldn't dare speak out against an organization. Our greatest hope for Benning being fired at this stage is EP hitting a level of frustration with wave after wave of marginal player added around him.
He's speaking out against the organization now?.. already pissed off at Dim Jim.?.rift already starting to happen between player and management...amirite?...We're still waiting to see the quote that claims that.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Pettersson's bluntness is almost Ovechkin-like. He's willing to say what's on his mind and talk about reality. None of this Henrik Sedin crap "oh I felt we played well tonight" after a 5-0 loss. I still think Horvat is probably the one who's better equipped to take over as captain, but Pettersson definitely shows those qualities and should be in consideration. At least an A.

If only Benning didn't screw up our 2016 pick. Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser would be an elite first line.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Does Jonathan Dahlen play left wing? I wonder if Benning’s heading to .utica to “discuss what happened there this year” has anything to do with Petey (maybe?) speaking up about his friend not getting an opportunity to play with him?
The guy playing 4th line minutes and not producing for the Barracuda?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad