Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yes they need to prioritize a couple of scoring wingers for the top 6. They also need to prioritize a major fix on the blueline. They also need to prioritize fixing whatever is wrong with the farm system (lack of prospects, how Utica is managed and coached etc).

That's an awful lot of things they need to prioritize 5 years into a management groups' tenure who should have been prioritizing all those things since the get go.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Maybe a trade route with Tampa could solve this. Tampa is strapped for cash, still have to sign Point this off season and have 4 UFA dmen. Maybe if we retained 50% on tanev for one of JT Miller or Tyler Johnson. would save TB roughly 3M and give them a top 4 D. Seems like a lateral hockey trade banning would love

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yes they need to prioritize a couple of scoring wingers for the top 6. They also need to prioritize a major fix on the blueline. They also need to prioritize fixing whatever is wrong with the farm system (lack of prospects, how Utica is managed and coached etc).

That's an awful lot of things they need to prioritize 5 years into a management groups' tenure who should have been prioritizing all those things since the get go.

In 5 years they have fixed exactly 0 problems through their policies and efforts. They've been handed prime assets by the league (reverse standings order draft lottery: EP Boeser Hughes) and 4 of the best players on the team are holdovers from the last regime (Horvat Markstrom Tanev Edler).

They are Ned Flanders' parents: "We've tried nothing and we're all outta ideas"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The Canucks could go all-in and blow their brains out by signing bothPanerin and Duchene, but if they don't fix the blueline they'd be wasting their money. 'Scoring wingers' can't score if the d-men can't exit their own zone or get them the puck.

Reactions: daddyohsix

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In 5 years they have fixed exactly 0 problems through their policies and efforts. They've been handed prime assets by the league (reverse standings order draft lottery: EP Boeser Hughes) and 4 of the best players on the team are holdovers from the last regime (Horvat Markstrom Tanev Edler).

They are Ned Flanders' parents: "We've tried nothing and we're all outta ideas"

You're claiming drafting a star winger at 23rd overall constitutes being handed assets by the league. Did you realize what you were doing as you were writing this?

Reactions: Bougieman

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks could go all-in and blow their brains out by signing bothPanerin and Duchene, but if they don't fix the blueline they'd be wasting their money. 'Scoring wingers' can't score if the d-men can't exit their own zone or get them the puck.

I don’t disagree. There are multiple huge holes...that was all I was pointing out. I would also prioritize the blueline (not that you can’t juggle balls at once). Or at least I would stabilize it. You might not get it to where you want it but get to where it’s not actively hurting you.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
The fact that anyone thinks this is hindsight is absolutely insane.

There was a huge hype train for Ehlers in 2014, which I lead.

Educate yourself.
Really? other than the top three picks that were a lock (Ekbald-Reinhart-Draisaitl), four other teams passed on him. Even the Leafs took a soft Nylander over your hyped boy. Educate yourself.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I recall a pretty big hype train for Virtanen as well...

Maybe else where but over here it was pretty much an ehlers/nylander split until it came out that Jake was going to be the pick and people had to resign them selves to the pick and tried to hype themselves up.

I clearly remember where I was for that pick - hoping that benning would do something dumb and take Jake over nylander/ehlers and just getting kissed when they did

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Another day, another Benning drone pissed at Botchford for writing things that make Jim Benning and his drones look like incompetent people.

does that make you a proud botchford drone in your universe, or are you one of those types who believe that only the people who agree with you are free thinkers?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Maybe else where but over here it was pretty much an ehlers/nylander split until it came out that Jake was going to be the pick and people had to resign them selves to the pick and tried to hype themselves up.

I clearly remember where I was for that pick - hoping that benning would do something dumb and take Jake over nylander/ehlers and just getting kissed when they did

Interestingly Flames fans were very high on Virtanen and surely would have taken him at #6 over Nylander/Ehlers. May have been different if Virtanen was a Giant.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Interestingly Flames fans were very high on Virtanen and surely would have taken him at #6 over Nylander/Ehlers. May have been different if Virtanen was a Giant.

I wonder if byram is getting the same hype from us cause he plays for the giants - sort of a local team bump

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
does that make you a proud botchford drone in your universe, or are you one of those types who believe that only the people who agree with you are free thinkers?
I had differences of opinion with Botchford. You and your group of drones? It is always the Gospel according to Benning. So, no, don't ever mistake me with that short sighted cheerleader squad.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
None of the above imo. Nothing concerns me more than signing EK personally. I think his contract will haunt which ever teams signs him after a few seasons. I know most wont agree.
His injury is a groin injury. It’s troubled him all year because surgery basically takes him away from the game for 6 months. Considering he doesn’t have a contract to hold on too, well he hasn’t done it.
The ankle injury he overcame years ago. He’s mostly been healthy save for the groin problems this year.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad