Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
ur wasting everyone’s years not building ur team correctly tho
What is building a team correctly..?..There's so many variations of building a team..What they all have in common was they all sucked for a considerable time, to acquire top end talent..

It comes down to whether you have enough good young players to form a team core..When you have recognized that you do, you have to make pro active moves to kick it up a notch..Sitting around collecting draft picks, can easily turn sideways and send you spiralling into a rebuild, on top of a rebuild....(it's always about tomorrow).

Not only that..players will only hang around for so long, if the team cant get out of third gear...They're outta there.

Reactions: lousy

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
EP is already saying he wants to play for a winner, and Benning's job(finally?) is on the line. For better or worse, win-now moves had to be made, or we may as well go Scorched Earth and start a new rebuild without EP. Too bad Benning painted himself into a cap space corner, it would be nice to have our 2 best players in camp

Reactions: lousy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Garland is being comically overrated. His stats were massively padded by the covid division look at his spilts. Contenders wouldn’t pay a late first + prospect when he was being shopped at the deadline but he’s worth 9OA?

I think the whole splits thing is pretty stupid and overrated. Similar comments have been made about Fox, Zibanejad and McDavid. They're not far worse than their stats either. The fact is that variance plays a huge role in those splits, moreso than team quality, and especially due to the baseball format because you could play a team playing like trash for 3 games or playing like world beaters for three games straight instead of only seeing them once during those periods in a normal year. Besides, the teams he beat up are teams that the Canucks will need to beat up this year in the division.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yea.

Especially since when deciding over a boat or a mystery box, you have to go mystery box. The mystery box may even be a boat!

but ye, I wanted Guenther specifically. this draft was full of mystery risers and unknowns because of COVID. Im expecting more good players to emerge from the late first and second round than usual.
Guenther is exactly what this team is going to need in couple years and going forward.

I think this draft was rather deep, would have stacked up 3rds, I have players making it to the NHL from the 4th round.

There is going to be alot more non first rounders make it than average.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Guenther is exactly what this team is going to need in couple years and going forward.

I think this draft was rather deep, would have stacked up 3rds, I have players making it to the NHL from the 4th round.

This draft was not deeper than usual. There was little hockey to be played because of covid so the players could not be evaluated as they would have been in normal times. That is the reason why players drafted later would have a higher chance of making it into the nhl. That would most likely be the reason why more non first rounders may make it to the nhl. If that is even the trend that happens.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This draft was not deeper than usual. There was little hockey to be played because of covid so the players could not be evaluated as they would have been in normal times. That is the reason why players drafted later would have a higher chance of making it into the nhl. That would most likely be the reason why more non first rounders may make it to the nhl. If that is even the trend that happens.
True it wasn't that deep, I didn't like alot of the picks tbh, the erratic scouting and or not playing at all had a number of really good players go lower than I'd think if the season was normal and all the players played.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

At this point (because of salary constraints) we would just be displacing other talent instead of adding more talent by drafting high again. In other words, when Guenther finishes his elc, we would have to get rid of someone to make room for him. We would be no further ahead. There is only so much cap space to go around for star players.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Exactly. Basically the value in the higher picks is lessened and redistributed throughout the later rounds.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
What is building a team correctly..?..There's so many variations of building a team..What they all have in common was they all sucked for a considerable time, to acquire top end talent..

It comes down to whether you have enough good young players to form a team core..When you have recognized that you do, you have to make pro active moves to kick it up a notch..Sitting around collecting draft picks, can easily turn sideways and send you spiralling into a rebuild, on top of a rebuild....(it's always about tomorrow).

Not only that..players will only hang around for so long, if the team cant get out of third gear...They're outta there.

Sucking all the time = wasting all of their years

sucking short team = wasting a couple years

this team isn’t being built correctly. (Check the standings)

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

[Insert Drafted Positional Player] if he reaches his potential and projections is what most team needs.

I think there's a lot more nuance to evaluating this trade than simply 9th overall for Garland. The value of the 9th overall pick is largely in the potential player you can acquire with it. That player, for all intents and purposes, may not be a player you value highly. While we were debating whether we even want McTavish at 9, on draft day, he went 3rd overall. Another player that we heavily debated, Kent Johnson, went 5th overall. So for one thing, the Canucks might not have drafted Guenther had they kept the pick. Ottawa, for example, picked Tyler Boucher with the 10th overall pick. I for one would picked Sillinger. The other thing, and it keeps getting lost in the discussion, is that the Canucks was confident that their draft targets were gone at the time the trade was made. Imagine if we traded Schneider for a pick we used to draft Nichushkin. Some say results don't matter but only the process.

I don't believe that the deal would have been Garland for the 9th overall pick alone in a vacuum. Given the trades Arizona has made, I don't believe that they would have traded OEL for a bunch of bad contracts that expires in a year and a 7th round pick (given that the 2nd was to retain some salary). Garland was a part of a bigger deal.

Furthermore, it's not like Garland is a 2 year rental. 2 years from now, he'll be 27 and signed for 3 more years at what should still be a reasonable cap hit. Of course it remains to be seen just how good Guenther will be. Maybe he steps into the NHL over the next 2 years and is quickly a 25+ goal 55+ point guy or maybe he's the next Mikkel Boedker for the Coyotes (who was a good player at his best but might have been rushed and underachieved).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
At this point (because of salary constraints) we would just be displacing other talent instead of adding more talent by drafting high again. In other words, when Guenther finishes his elc, we would have to get rid of someone to make room for him. We would be no further ahead. There is only so much cap space to go around for star players.

This is as bizarre of a take as I’ve seen

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Until the people that made the trade come out and explain it themselves, nobody knows what piece had what value. Pretending to know, is foolish- you can only guess, then have no proof to back it up.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
You believe that the Canucks' current Stanley Cup window begins now and spans less than 3 years?
The Canucks have been sooo well set up for success that they have the rare Quantum Contention Window. They are both contending and rebuilding at the same time depending on the needs of the argument, and have been doing so under the radar of the hater fans for years!

Reactions: Samzilla

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sucking all the time = wasting all of their years

sucking short team = wasting a couple years

this team isn’t being built correctly. (Check the standings)
The new core wasn't really fully assembled till 2019...and since then, they have been trying to compete..Yes, teams do tend to suck for a considerable time, while transitioning cores.

There wasn't a chance that we were going to come out of the aged out Sedin core, and no prospect pool....without pain.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The new core wasn't really fully assembled till 2019...and since then, they have been trying to compete..Yes, teams do tend to suck for a considerable time, while transitioning cores.

There wasn't a chance that we were going to come out of the aged out Sedin core, and no prospect pool....without pain.

No we decided it would be much smarter to age out/into the new core era with no prospect pool!

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
So we should just shut up about it then? What's the point of this kind of post other than to just stifle a topic of discussion

He did not say anything about having to shut up. Everyone can go on speculating. Just keep that in mind though, it is just speculation. People love to run with opinions and guesses as fact around here.

Reactions: Homer J Benning

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
This is as bizarre of a take as I’ve seen
I don’t know how to make it simpler to understand. With the salary cap, you can only take in so much young talent. We have reached that saturation point, so the time is now to build around this young talent, otherwise we are going in circles

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I don’t know how to make it simpler to understand. With the salary cap, you can only take in so much young talent. We have reached that saturation point, so the time is now to build around this young talent, otherwise we are going in circles

He understands your post. No need to “simplify” it.

it just makes absolutely zero sense

more young players = more ELCs = more cap space. reality is the exact opposite of what you are suggesting

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

God forbid we have a young player who could produce the same as a $7MM+ player for $925K for 3 years and allow us to move players for for assets that could help the team's present and future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00