Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I loved Stan but retiring his number set the bar low. He was a tough, honest, good player. But you don’t retire numbers like his or Linden’s. Markus was very good but not for long enough.

IMHO 10, 22, 33 all deserved the honour. I realize they can’t yank the other numbers down but they didn’t deserve to be up there

Well, Sir, as gentlemen, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: Vaughan Cunningham

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Weisbrod is more deserving of being in the ROH than Luongo is to be in the rafters honestly

Really? What has happened here. Do people post craziness and expect it to not be called out? Is that what this forum has become?

Luongo was the backbone of this team for many years, and the answer to our problem of finally getting a dependable goalie. Hell, he just happened to be elite. Short term memories I guess.

Which leads me to my point... You think Weisbrod is more deserving?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I loved Stan but retiring his number set the bar low. He was a tough, honest, good player. But you don’t retire numbers like his or Linden’s. Markus was very good but not for long enough.

IMHO 10, 22, 33 all deserved the honour. I realize they can’t yank the other numbers down but they didn’t deserve to be up there

This.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
A guy like Smyl was one of the few reasons to keep going as a fan during the darkest days. Very happy when they honored him by retiring his number, as it is likely the only honor outside the Memorial Cup that he has ever received in his life.

tough being a Canucks fan, innit?
Wait Stan Smyls on the roster now?

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021

You are wrong again. The WCE saved hockey in Vancouver. I don't know your age but you seem a bit young.

Vaughan Cunningham

Sep 15, 2021
You are wrong again. The WCE saved hockey in Vancouver. I don't know your age but you seem a bit young.

Yeah I’m so young that I remember watching Stan’s first game against the Rockies. He skated on a line with fellow rookies Curt Fraser and Thomas Gradin.

Naslund had six good years in Vancouver and was a star in the league for a couple of years. But he was not nearly as impactful as Bure or the twins.

IMHO the only numbers that should be retired are 10, 22, 33.

Reactions: MarkMM and F A N

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
LOL , In typical HF board fashion

people are frothing over Geunther playing well in a Junior league vs a majority of players who will never make the NHL

vs

Connor Garland who is a legit sure fire top 6 NHLer and 25 years old.

btw:

at same age as Geunther (18yrs old)

Connor Garland had 129 pts in 67 games and led the entire CHL in scoring. He was also named QMJHL player of the year.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Connor Garland wasn't traded straight up for 9th overall.

If he was that would be an awful valued trade. Connor Garland is not worth a 9th overall pick.

Given the comparable trade for Buchnevich, if people have to break it into two separate transactions, to me seems like the 2nd and the 7th is comparable to the 2nd + 4th liner that was given up for Buchnevich.

9th overall would be an egregious overpayment for a player of Garland's ilk (size, lack of track record etc).

So if that's one part of the trade the 2nd part in my interpretation would be

OEL (~$1m retained) for 9th overall and the 3 cap dumps.

To me really I think it's dumb to try and dissect this trade into multiple transactions, and in no way do I think including the 9th overall draft pick made sense. It's a huge overpayment whether you're factoring it in as the price for Garland, for OEL, or the cost to dump ~$8m in salary and $12m in cap.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
LOL , In typical HF board fashion

people are frothing over Geunther playing well in a Junior league vs a majority of players who will never make the NHL

vs

Connor Garland who is a legit sure fire top 6 NHLer and 25 years old.

btw:

at same age as Geunther (18yrs old)

Connor Garland had 129 pts in 67 games and led the entire CHL in scoring. He was also named QMJHL player of the year.

FWIW, Garland did that in his D+1. His draft year he was a ~1ppg player and didn't get picked.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Connor Garland wasn't traded straight up for 9th overall. .

true enough.

9th overall also paid for more than half of the $12m cap dump since the 2nd didn't come close to covering that tab. we basically got oel with $7.2m retained for free.

best way to look at it is that 9oa and a 2nd returned garland and oel with $19.2m retained, but $12m of that retention was front loaded.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
true enough.

9th overall also paid for more than half of the $12m cap dump since the 2nd didn't come close to covering that tab. we basically got oel with $7.2m retained for free.

best way to look at it is that 9oa and a 2nd returned garland and oel with $19.2m retained, but $12m of that retention was front loaded.
So that we could get Pettersson and Hughes signed LONG before training camp, right?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’d take Guenther over Garland just based on their age differences and the value of an ELC + RFA years saving on cap space. Garland is obviously better now and in the upcoming 2 years or so, and I get Benning needed to save his job, but Guenther is probably the better piece for the future.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Look at the current "2 years away team".
Then look at the capin 2 years, then the roster, then look at the (lack of) prospect pool, then look at our player ages, then look at Guenthers production and projected development.

Then try to make this trade make any sense. Guenther on and ELC in 2 years, or 13M for Garland and OEL until 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad