Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Look at the current "2 years away team".
Then look at the capin 2 years, then the roster, then look at the (lack of) prospect pool, then look at our player ages, then look at Guenthers production and projected development.

Then try to make this trade make any sense. Guenther on and ELC in 2 years, or 13M for Garland and OEL until 2026.
So, in two years from now..you've wasted two years of Bo and Millers prime years...and burned off 2 years of rest of the core players (who wont be sticking around if the team does not go 'all in' to compete)... All for a winger who may /or may not have an impact in the next 3-4 years..?

The players dont give a rats about Guenther.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, in two years from now..you've wasted two years of Bo and Millers prime years...and burned off 2 years of rest of the core players (who wont be sticking around if the team does not go 'all in' to compete)... All for a winger who may /or may not have an impact in the next 3-4 years..?

You also got to build towards the contention window. There are people who still think you should suck until the year you are able to contend and then go for it because of what the Blackhawks and Penguins manged to do.

Reactions: Vaughan Cunningham

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It’s ironic the complaints about age gap has led to chases creating further age gaps. and that folks who generally criticized the age gap coming out of the contention window are content creating age gaps to chase opening a contention window.

The short-sighted nature of this leads to windows that aren’t open long.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The best way to look at this deal is in totality. I think this convoluted way of trying to act like it was multiple transactions isn’t worthwhile.

I see absolutely no reason for 9th overall and no round about explaining away of it will convince me otherwise.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I frequently say this, but I think the best approach is to try and make multiple runs with your core. It is incredibly difficult to win the Stanley Cup, nevermind making it to the Finals. Stamkos was 25 when he went to his first Cup finals. That team didn't have Point or any of the defensemen on their Cup winning teams aside from Hedman and Cobourn. When Stamkos won his first Cup, he was 30.

Unless you're able to draft a bunch of players who step right into the league as 19 and 20 year olds in the span of 3-4 drafts, "age gaps" are going to exist. So the reality is that a team full of early 20 year olds likely won't win a Cup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Whether they have Guenther or not, all of the above will still be true in two years.

But they could at least have an elite prospect ready to join the new core in that time.

Reactions: racerjoe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You need a steady stream of talent coming up on cheap entry level contracts or your window will be considerably shorter than it should be. That's where I worry about not picking in the first round for 2, possibly three years in a row. I guess we'll see.

By the time Miller's deal is up and if his asking price was too high, we could have a player like Guenther waiting to slot in. There is a lot of variables there though. (Will Guenther pan out, Miller's ask, other trades etc.)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You need a steady stream of talent coming up on cheap entry level contracts or your window will be considerably shorter than it should be. That's where I worry about not picking in the first round for 2, possibly three years in a row. I guess we'll see.

By the time Miller's deal is up and if his asking price was too high, we could have a player like Guenther waiting to slot in. There is a lot of variables there though. (Will Guenther pan out, Miller's ask, other trades etc.)
Going for 3 years giving up your 1st wouldn't be prudent..although I think the Canucks can withstand missing 2 (but obtaining Miller/Garland)..Conversely, how many years will it be before Guenther is an impact player..?...At a certain point, you have to accelerate , and do some 'win now' moves...Canucks have a lot of youth in the lineup.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Again. Not making this trade or not including a 1st round pick let alone a 9th overall selection does not mean you’ve wasted a year.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Again. Not making this trade or not including a 1st round pick let alone a 9th overall selection does not mean you’ve wasted a year.

You don't think that bringing Loui etc. back and making minimal additions would not be a wasted year?

I get the argument that even with this trade the year may still be wasted but the other way around?

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011

Exactly.. we can't be a dumpster fire for a couple more years or every single player will want out.

The simple solution would have been to start a full on rebuild years ago... like Arizona is doing now.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
regardless of how he turns out , it was a terrible decision to trade away a top 10 overall pick for a team nowhere near competing. You don’t ever trade top 10 picks. Ever. That’s how you build dynasties

Yea.

Especially since when deciding over a boat or a mystery box, you have to go mystery box. The mystery box may even be a boat!

but ye, I wanted Guenther specifically. this draft was full of mystery risers and unknowns because of COVID. Im expecting more good players to emerge from the late first and second round than usual.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

ur wasting everyone’s years not building ur team correctly tho

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Garland is being comically overrated. His stats were massively padded by the covid division look at his spilts. Contenders wouldn’t pay a late first + prospect when he was being shopped at the deadline but he’s worth 9OA?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Garland is being comically overrated. His stats were massively padded by the covid division look at his spilts. Contenders wouldn’t pay a late first + prospect when he was being shopped at the deadline but he’s worth 9OA?

That's if you break down the trade that way.

In any case he was Zona's best forward last year year by a good margin. He is surprisingly gritty for his size, protects the puck well, plays excellent below the hash marks, has decent hands and shoot a lot. This was all stuff I observed last year. What makes him over-rated? Looking at splits doesn't mean anything...and obviously point producers will rack up points to against bad teams. Do you remember when the Sedins would play the Oilers from 2009-2012?

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
I’d take Guenther over Garland just based on their age differences and the value of an ELC + RFA years saving on cap space. Garland is obviously better now and in the upcoming 2 years or so, and I get Benning needed to save his job, but Guenther is probably the better piece for the future.

On what premise do you believe Guenther will be better?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
based on on one goal they showed him doing in a rookie scrimmage. Remember when Shinkaruk was the next Gaudreau from his pre-season performance?

Regardless, Guenther won't help the Canucks for 2-3 years, the time to win is now.

You believe that the Canucks' current Stanley Cup window begins now and spans less than 3 years?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
That's if you break down the trade that way.

In any case he was Zona's best forward last year year by a good margin. He is surprisingly gritty for his size, protects the puck well, plays excellent below the hash marks, has decent hands and shoot a lot. This was all stuff I observed last year. What makes him over-rated? Looking at splits doesn't mean anything...and obviously point producers will rack up points to against bad teams. Do you remember when the Sedins would play the Oilers from 2009-2012?

I like Garland and even preferred him to Reinhart. Felt he was overrated when seeing people claim the 9OA was for Garland and fair value. I just don’t see it that way and it wouldn’t be fair value 1for1. I don’t mind beating up on by teams but in a year where close to 50% of your games are against them I do. I even said the same thing about Fox a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad