Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You obviously have a difference of opinion, but yes, at this point we have all the young talent we need to start making moves towards being a contender. We can afford to give up a 1st round pick to fill in those gaps because we have one of the best young cores in the league. You disagree with that as well, and that's fine, and I won't be a f***in' asshole telling you I disagree with you.

Building a prospect pool IS making moves towards being a contender. It's keeping a supply of cheap young talent coming up in your system so you don't have to break the bank for the collection of stiffs Benning keeps shoving dumpsters full of money at.

And I disagree with you because you're just ass-backwards wrong and everyone knows it but you. Keep crying.

It's not as laughable as your rant.

You're right..Chicago was able to draft young talent...They picked just as late (if not later than we did)...From 2008-13..They drafted these current NHL players;
Kevin Hayes
Brandon Saad
Brandon Pirri
Justin Holl
Andrew Shaw
Philip Danault
Vinny Hinostroza
Teuno Teravainen
Tyler Motte
Ryan Hartmann

All we had was a f***ing 'black hole' which contributed massively to the misery of the 2015-19 Canucks..Maybe we wouldnt have had to look for quick fixes if we had drafted even a 1/3 of this list.

Its a well known fact we barely had a prospect pool in 2014..You're clearly talking out of your posterior (again) if you think otherwise..

It's also amazing watching you duck and weave around any point I make with almost surgical precision.

IF BENNING HAD DONE HIS JOB WORTH SHIT HE WOULDN'T STILL BE LOOKING FOR QUICK FIXES IN YEAR f***ING EIGHT.

It's really pathetic how you have to keep on going back to "WHAAAA!! Gillis didn't do Benning's job for him!!"

*Edit* Hey...know why Chicago was able to draft all those good players? They didn't keep throwing draft picks away. Year after year this happens in front of everyone's faces and it's like it never happened. We've all seen the lists before a thousand times. Vey, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Pedan, etc etc etc, right up to now. OEL...but this Garland guy is great! Who needs a first round pick...JT Miller is a great add! He's what we're hoping a first round pick could be! Oh...does the team still suck? How could that happen?! What's the goal here? Is going from 24th to 20th a goal worth sacrificing the future over?

Years keep going by, the strategy stays the same, the GM stays the same, only the excuses change. Before it was the owner's fault for being impatient, Gillis' fault for not leaving the team a good prospect pool, our fault for not tolerating a rebuild...now it's seven years later and..."Well, now we *really* have to take a quick fix! If we aren't good real soon, the players will lose faith and leave!" Here we are with the two best players from draft god Benning's haul (without even a single top five pick! Wowsers!!) unsigned as training camp open. Oopsie.

Insane how anyone can still show up here stumping for Benning every damn day. Especially as WE STILL DON'T HAVE A PROSPECT POOL.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm glad we traded OEL. For a few years he looked like he just didn't have passion for the game any more. I gotta say though, I expected he'd snap out it in Vancouver. Everyone else that leaves here does for cryin' out loud. Figured he'd be good for you guys for a few.

That performance is just embarrassing. Looks like he took up smoking in the off season and hasn't worn skates since May lol. Hopefully for VAN this isn't a sign of what to expect from OEL this season. To think he was our team leader wearing the C.

Edit: Any reports of injury?
One little clip and you post this. Why not fly to Vancouver, watch the entire practice and then comment. Right now you post is just plain dumb.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
One little clip and you post this. Why not fly to Vancouver, watch the entire practice and then comment. Right now you post is just plain dumb.

Just making an observation on ONE video and making and a sarcastic joke Jakey. To me his play for the last 2+ years has looked very uninspired. Figured it was for Coyotes reasons. I haven't condemned anyone.

Face it, if that was Phil Kessel we'd all be making hot dog jokes. The part where I ask about injury? That's because I'm shocked.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Arizona had the "He just needs a change of scenery" sale tactic at their disposal
and they played it to perfection. I'll give them credit all day for that.

Too bad you can only play that card ONCE
Vancouver won't have that luxury if this backfires.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Arizona had the "He just needs a change of scenery" sale tactic at their disposal

If Hamonic is out for any length of time, I'm thinking OEL will get at least double-shifted given the quality of people left on the roster. At the very least, OEL will get in shape pretty quick.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Chuck1377

Jul 9, 2021
Building a prospect pool IS making moves towards being a contender. It's keeping a supply of cheap young talent coming up in your system so you don't have to break the bank for the collection of stiffs Benning keeps shoving dumpsters full of money at.

And I disagree with you because you're just ass-backwards wrong and everyone knows it but you. Keep crying.

It's also amazing watching you duck and weave around any point I make with almost surgical precision.

IF BENNING HAD DONE HIS JOB WORTH SHIT HE WOULDN'T STILL BE LOOKING FOR QUICK FIXES IN YEAR f***ING EIGHT.

It's really pathetic how you have to keep on going back to "WHAAAA!! Gillis didn't do Benning's job for him!!"

*Edit* Hey...know why Chicago was able to draft all those good players? They didn't keep throwing draft picks away. Year after year this happens in front of everyone's faces and it's like it never happened. We've all seen the lists before a thousand times. Vey, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Pedan, etc etc etc, right up to now. OEL...but this Garland guy is great! Who needs a first round pick...JT Miller is a great add! He's what we're hoping a first round pick could be! Oh...does the team still suck? How could that happen?! What's the goal here? Is going from 24th to 20th a goal worth sacrificing the future over?

Years keep going by, the strategy stays the same, the GM stays the same, only the excuses change. Before it was the owner's fault for being impatient, Gillis' fault for not leaving the team a good prospect pool, our fault for not tolerating a rebuild...now it's seven years later and..."Well, now we *really* have to take a quick fix! If we aren't good real soon, the players will lose faith and leave!" Here we are with the two best players from draft god Benning's haul (without even a single top five pick! Wowsers!!) unsigned as training camp open. Oopsie.

Insane how anyone can still show up here stumping for Benning every damn day. Especially as WE STILL DON'T HAVE A PROSPECT POOL.

What do you mean "we still don't have prospect pool"

First off that's not correct currently and was certainly not correct previously either as we actually had one of the best prospect pools until our players graduated and became stars.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
What do you mean "we still don't have prospect pool"

First off that's not correct currently and was certainly not correct previously either as we actually had one of the best prospect pools until our players graduated and became stars.

The fact that a ton of our prospect pool graduated to the NHL is commonly overlooked around here.

Not defending Benning's constant trading of our draft picks, but any team that's had a notable graduate every year for the last 5 years is going to be relatively depleted. This is why so many were against trading our 9th overall because the cupboards are now bare.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

The Blackhawk players I listed were drafted 2008-13..(most of our draft picks were thrown away, because we couldn't draft worth shit in that era), and this impacted the team for years after.....So the Miller and Garland trades were bad trades, and we've completely sacrificed the future..?...All teams are faced with quick fixes, regardless of the cycle they're in ... A lot of teams have high profile players that need to be re signed..or is this just the Canucks..?..Are we the only team trying to squeeze players under the cap?

Are you insinuating we've never never had a good prospect pool in the last 5 years..?
Pronman: 2018-19 NHL farm system rankings
(ranked 2nd)

Pronman: 2019-20 NHL farm system rankings
(ranked 5th)
Scott Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings
(ranked 13th)
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/
(ranked 20th)

Are you aware that after your top players graduate to the NHL , your prospect pool ranking goes down.?.....Teams in the rebuild stage always have the highest ranking.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The fact that a ton of our prospect pool graduated to the NHL is commonly overlooked around here.

Not defending Benning's constant trading of our draft picks, but any team that's had a notable graduate every year for the last 5 years is going to be relatively depleted. This is why so many were against trading our 9th overall because the cupboards are now bare.

You'd really think a GM who's only (moderate) success has been integrating young, impactful draftees into the lineup would actually want to have more draft picks.

Benning gonna Benning.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I actually like our prospect pool, considering we've already graduated a fair bit of the high-end talent. There is still a number of guys with actual NHL potential, in that 4-10 range, even if they don't project as stars. I'm pretty high on Pod and Rathbone, DiPietro is trending well and has already played a few nhl games at a young age. We lack the cant-miss future star prospect, but the depth of prospects that could realistically carve out nhl careers of some sort, is actually decent imo.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The Canucks have been sooo well set up for success that they have the rare Quantum Contention Window. They are both contending and rebuilding at the same time depending on the needs of the argument, and have been doing so under the radar of the hater fans for years!

Observing the Canucks changes the result. Before the season, we're gunning for the playoffs. After observing the season, we're rebuilding.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Coyote fan checking in, really hope OEL and Garland play well for your guys....I know at least one of them will.

Wouldn't say the Coyotes played the change of scenery card to perfection. If they did, Garland wouldn't have needed to be added and AZ wouldn't have needed to retain $990k for each of the next 6 seasons on Oliver. But it was necessary for Bill Armstrong as part of unwinding the mess John Chayka left behind....including OEL's 8x8.25 deal.

Many Coyote fans will be watching the Canucks closely this season to see how much of the AZ baggage OEL's been carrying the past few years. When he's dialed in he's easily a top 4 dman and maybe even top pair......when he's not you don't want him on the ice. There's such a large gap. He's been a slow starter and usually plays better as the season goes on.

Garland will become a fan favorite quickly, brings it every shift, constantly creates scoring chances and has an abrasive nature that gets under opponents skin. Everything you want in a top 6 forward.

Vaughan Cunningham

Sep 15, 2021
You absolutely cannot argue with a laggard, better to just let Canucks have success on-ice.
Agreed. Some folks are so dug in and there’s no point in trying to get your point across to a guy that is swearing and insulting other folks posts because they don’t agree.

the depth ain’t great and I’m about done seeing picks leave. But the team owed Hughes, Horvat, Petey, Miller, Demko, Boeser a roster upgrade and a chance to be competitive. We will see whether it works out. But throwing tantrums at this point in the season is a bit much.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Are you aware that after your top players graduate to the NHL , your prospect pool ranking goes down.?.....Teams in the rebuild stage always have the highest ranking.

So most of our prospects graduated, we are still a mediocre team at best and have nothing left in the pipeline. So where do we go from here?

Reactions: rypper

Vaughan Cunningham

Sep 15, 2021
So most of our prospects graduated, we are still a mediocre team at best and have nothing left in the pipeline. So where do we go from here?
The season hasn’t started… they could be much better than a mediocre team. There’s not “nothing left in the pipeline”

The season will dictate where we go from here

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The season hasn’t started… they could be much better than a mediocre team. There’s not “nothing left in the pipeline”

The season will dictate where we go from here

I think OP's issue is that the team started making contender moves just to get themselves to become a bubble team. They've only made 2 picks in the top 90 of the past two drafts. 4 going back three drafts. Their pick was still in the top-10 this year, so it's not like they've been a top-flite squad moving out late firsts to put themselves over the top.

Vaughan Cunningham

Sep 15, 2021
I think OP's issue is that the team started making contender moves just to get themselves to become a bubble team. They've only made 2 picks in the top 90 of the past two drafts. 4 going back three drafts. Their pick was still in the top-10 this year, so it's not like they've been a top-flite squad moving out late firsts to put themselves over the top.
All good points Mr Kron and I agree. Point is, this is the hand we’ve been dealt, may as well make the best of it. I agree some ass backwards moves have been made,,but such is life, we can’t control it. I want to see a fast exciting team make the post season. Low goals and expectations I know.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
All good points Mr Kron and I agree. Point is, this is the hand we’ve been dealt, may as well make the best of it. I agree some ass backwards moves have been made,,but such is life, we can’t control it. I want to see a fast exciting team make the post season. Low goals and expectations I know.

Where I want to see this team win the cup. I don’t want mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln