Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It’s Incredible how all over the place this trade is on Social media, Here, Main boards.
Zero Consensus

to me its not that bad, if OEL can regain his form.

I think this board is underrating OEL. He doesn't look that bad to me every time I watched him. Imagine if we didn't let Tanev go and sign Schmidt

Hughes - Tanev
OEL - Hamonic
Rathbone- Woo

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I think OEL is a good dude who was dealt a bad hand in Arizona. I am hopeful he can bounce back. Say what you will but Green is a much more compassionate coach. OEL did well under Dave Tippett, who is similar to Green personality wise.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I think this board is underrating OEL. He doesn't look that bad to me every time I watched him. Imagine if we didn't let Tanev go and sign Schmidt

Hughes - Tanev
OEL - Hamonic
Rathbone- Woo

"Looking good" =/= top pairing Dman. 7.3m AAV.

"It's not that bad"... Love that description.

@Sykur :

The pandemic limited play and viewership, but it doesn't invalidate the draft. You are being questioned because you think it makes the draft completely variable, and it doesn't. How does SJ still select Eklund above all players? Or LA drafting Clarke? They've done their evaluations and have made a short list, like any other draft.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Things I'm curious about...

- If the whole issue with OEL is 'confidence' and 'weight of the world on his shoulders', how is that going to get any better falling into the chaotic fishbowl that is the Canadian/Vancouver Hockey Market? I'd imagine that the pressure to perform, so to speak, will be at least comparable to the expectations of trying to fill Shane Doan's shoes and whatever.

- Are there comparables to an elite athlete rediscovering his form and rebounding back to his level? Especially at his age? Particularly in hockey? I'm aware that there are players who managed to make adjustments to their game and carve out a longer career or redefine themselves (Yzerman being the prime example), but I'm more interested in knowing if there are any ready examples of a player dramatically bouncing back at 30.

- How does this impact other players on the roster? Specifically, Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin.

Also, while I appreciate Phoenix fans coming in and giving their perspective, I'm reminded of Washington fans who were very supportive and effusive of Holtby, saying a lot of the same things about him when his signing was announced.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It'd done let's hope for the best now. Garland I'm excited about and now we need to find some stay at home RHD to fill out the back end. Little sad Holtby wasn't included though.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
OEL, well he's ours now so I ride or die with him......begrudgingly.

However Garland is quite the get here which is nice. Just wondering though would we still entertain the idea of Miller playing 3c? Something like

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Garland
Dickinson-Miller-Hoglander

We finally have a good (am I allowed to say that now?) Top 6 but would spreading the riches around make more sense?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lucbourdon said:
It’s absolutely crazy how much our boards hate this, yet everybody else seems to love it for us

This is because like 90% of fans do not understand the salary cap and asset value.

This would have been a good trade in 1996 or 2001 (if you were a rich team like Detroit or NYR) and people simply haven't adjusted.

Also most casuals are slurping up the 'OEL is a top pairing defender!' narrative even though he was demolished as the #3 defender for Arizona last year.

It's the same people who thought Seattle should have been taking Price/Van Riemsdyk/Tarasenko etc.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
No idea how OEL will perform. I think any improvements expected from being removed from the Arizona ecosystem will be offset by landing in one that is not really any better here, especially defensively. There is not a single defenseman that would play well in our system and with our coaches. They are, simply, the worst in the league, with no exaggeration or doubt in my mind. I really doubt he gives us more than two years of above replacement play, if that. It's a huge risk gamble for pretty low reward. Garland is great, though, so that's nice.

Regardless of the ultimate damage that unfolds over the next few seasons because of this, though (which was incurred by the last few years of damage, go figure), all this reminds me is that the fate of this team is in the hands of a very stupid guy. I feel like I've learned a valuable lesson in sports fandom because of Jim Benning. Never get too invested, because success is totally out of your hands; the hands success, and your dreams as a fan, lie in is those of some dumb ass old boy and his trust fund blueberry billionaire master

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

- If the whole issue with OEL is 'confidence' and 'weight of the world on his shoulders', how is that going to get any better falling into the chaotic fishbowl that is the Canadian/Vancouver Hockey Market? I'd imagine that the pressure to perform, so to speak, will be at least comparable to the expectations of trying to fill Shane Doan's shoes and whatever.

- Are there comparables to an elite athlete rediscovering his form and rebounding back to his level? Especially at his age? Particularly in hockey? I'm aware that there are players who managed to make adjustments to their game and carve out a longer career or redefine themselves (Yzerman being the prime example), but I'm more interested in knowing if there are any ready examples of a player dramatically bouncing back at 30.

- How does this impact other players on the roster? Specifically, Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin.

Also, while I appreciate Phoenix fans coming in and giving their perspective, I'm reminded of Washington fans who were very supportive and effusive of Holtby, saying a lot of the same things about him when his signing was announced.
Mark Giordano? But yeah not a lot of examples..

Reactions: mossey3535

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If OEL cannot deal with the expectation of carrying the Coyotes, he is going to have a bad time here.

Ehhh. I disagree. Look at the sheer disaster Arizona has been over the past decade. Hell, they just got out of another controversy with Chayka after nearly being relocated how many times? That's a unique sort of pressure not even a Canadian market can replicate. OED won't be expected to be the voice or leader of the Canucks. We already have our core guys.

Does that mean he'll be good? I suppose we'll find out...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

However Garland is quite the get here which is nice. Just wondering though would we still entertain the idea of Miller playing 3c? Something like

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

We finally have a good (am I allowed to say that now?) Top 6 but would spreading the riches around make more sense?

I really don't think that Podkolzin will be seeing top line action unless he absolutely blows everyone away at training camp/preseason.

And even then, I'd imagine he's going to be on very limited minutes.

I view the move to bring in guys like Dickinson and Garland as hedging their bets a little bit with Podkolzin and giving him some time and space to develop.

I'm more curious as to whether Pearson or Hoglander gets bumped down the lineup. Hoglander and Garland on the same line might not be ideal, although, yes, Hoglander is a pitbull.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Also, if you can't find the inner fortitude and desire to always play at your very best - no matter the situation - raises more than a few red flags for me.

I hope he finds his game and confidence again...

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I have not paid much attention to OEL specifically but the Arizona franchise has always been a tire fire……always

somebody was talking about a player who moved to another team and rejuvenated their career, look no further than Taylor Hall who showed how being on the right team can impact your value considerable

not making the argument that the Canucks are the right team for a defenseman to excel, in fact we have recently demonstrated with Schmidt that perhaps we aren’t

for this moment I am just basking in the glory that beagle, Erickson, roussel and Sutter are no longer part of our club, who I wanted at 9 wasn’t there and Garlund seems to fit into the forward group we are creating

I hope Lockwood finds his way onto our 4th line

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

I don’t see we will see Miller at centre unless there are injuries as our 4th line centre situation is gonna be rough.

Miller - Petey - Brock
Garland - Horvat - Hogs
Pearson - Dickinson - Pod

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Ehhh. I disagree. Look at the sheer disaster Arizona has been over the past decade. Hell, they just got out of another controversy with Chayka after nearly being relocated how many times? That's a unique sort of pressure not even a Canadian market can replicate. OED won't be expected to be the voice or leader of the Canucks. We already have our core guys.

Does that mean he'll be good? I suppose we'll find out...

He may not be the leader, but it's entirely possible they give him a letter. Particularly given how Benning was hyping the ever loving shit out of him today on the radio. He clearly has big things in mind for OEL.

Then there's the fact he's going to have to meet expectations of being a star player in a market where he's not going to be able to enjoy anonymity, which will be compounded by the fact that he has a big dollar contract.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Hughes - Tanev
OEL - Hamonic
Rathbone- Woo

One problem is it's not just a matter of OEL retaining his form but also him keeping it over the next 6 years. Acquiring OEL now is nearly identical to when we signed Loui Eriksson, who was also 30 years old (I believe) and coming off a 30 goal season. The perception of Eriksson at the time was he should be okay the first few seasons but the latter end of the contract was likely going to be bad.

This is essentially Jim Benning rolling the dice on another long term Loui Eriksson anchor contract to secure his position for the next two seasons.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I don’t see we will see Miller at centre unless there are injuries as our 4th line centre situation is gonna be rough.

Miller - Petey - Brock
Garland - Horvat - Hogs
Pearson - Dickinson - Pod
Motte _____Highmore/lockwood
Pretty good

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Giordano never really had a 'decline' though. He just sort of kept getting better and better.

Teemu Selanne after the lockout is one, but that was directly tied to getting a crippling knee injury fixed and rested.

Yeah, Selanne is more inline with what I'm thinking of. But that was a combination of being able to get surgery and having the added luxury of extended time off thanks to the lockout.

I guess a better question is, how often has a 'change of scenery' really benefited a player and there's been a remarkable turnaround in their play. Because that gets bandied around a lot and I find that it tends to be more wishful thinking than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino