Rumor: Valeri Nichushkin close to a KHL deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I remember when Canuck fans collectively lost their minds when Gillis picked Horvat over Nichushkin.

Edmonton picking Nurse over Risto was the big error. It just forced them to pay thru the nose for a RHD three years later.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Two of those coaches are amazing and probably future HOF's, one (Torts) is a total ****ing goof, who should have been put out to pasture a long time ago.

Still, the point is that it can be a hall of fame coach or someone off their rocker. Every coach is and has been susceptible to alienating talent.

Torts is on another planet at this point, but Hitch also burns players out with his systems, and Quenneville just doesnt seem to give certain players a fair leash at times (Leddy, Vermette, Daley, Pirri, etc) while others is mind numbingly preferential to and gives them all the shifts in the world to screw over the team (Mashinter, Handzus, Rozsival, etc)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There was probably 5 posters on the Sabres board including myself who called this when Nichushkin was drafted.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Good for him and the Stars. He has a terrible shot. Would never be a NHL goal scorer.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Still, the point is that it can be a hall of fame coach or someone off their rocker. Every coach is and has been susceptible to alienating talent.

Torts is on another planet at this point, but Hitch also burns players out with his systems, and Quenneville just doesnt seem to give certain players a fair leash at times (Leddy, Vermette, Daley, Pirri, etc) while others is mind numbingly preferential to and gives them all the shifts in the world to screw over the team (Mashinter, Handzus, Rozsival, etc)

Agreed, pretty much the same in every job really.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That's a solid $13 million dollars that they're going to have coming off the books, and none of those guys are under the age of 32. Add in Oduya's $3.75 million, you're looking at almost $17 million to replace 5 players. The only forward of that group that I'd expect to get a raise from their current salary is Hudler, and that's because he's being criminally underpaid for what his production was in Calgary.

Holes, definitely, and adding in Nichuskin, you can definitely worry about them a little bit - but this is a team with Benn, Seguin, Spezza, and Klingberg all signed long term... players will see that and want to join them. Whether it's retaining the guys mentioned, or signing different players - they'll be fine. Then, in 18-19 when both of their goalies become free agents, they'll have another $10 million to spend on more talent. That team could change dramatically in a couple of years, and it could look even better than it already has.

Thing with Spezza is he's 33 and not getting younger either and there's 7.5M committed to him until 2019. It's worrisome that ~150 points will need to be replaced next summer. Swallowing your pride and signing Nichushkin for this year and next would be a big step in fixing that leak. Dallas has young guys like Devin Shore, Brett Ritchie, Jason Dickinson and to a lesser extent, Denis Guryanov, that can also help fill holes this year and next, but it's going to be difficult to replicate this offensive depth.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What a waste of a pick. I get that Dallas won't really miss Nuke next year, but it sure would be nice if they had some other top ten pick. A good cheap player is invaluable to a team trying to win a cup.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There was probably 5 posters on the Sabres board including myself who called this when Nichushkin was drafted.

Well the whole KHL threat was what dropped him down to 10th in the first place....otherwise he'd have been selected earlier.

I think that sophomore season is what did him in, though. Looked solid as a rookie when he was riding the coattails of Seguin and Benn. Very promising. But with that second season being a write-off, he was never able to put it back together and find that next gear. Stars were very patient with him, too, and he bounced around the lineup quite a bit to find the right fit.

I'm willing to bet he'll return to North American some time down the road.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Well the whole KHL threat was what dropped him down to 10th in the first place....otherwise he'd have been selected earlier.

I think that sophomore season is what did him in, though. Looked solid as a rookie when he was riding the coattails of Seguin and Benn. Very promising. But with that second season being a write-off, he was never able to put it back together and find that next gear. Stars were very patient with him, too, and he bounced around the lineup quite a bit to find the right fit.

I'm willing to bet he'll return to North American some time down the road.

It hasn't even been confirmed that he's left North America, yet we're all so quick to say good-bye :laugh:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He can rot there

Pretty much my opinion, and I'm not even a Stars fan. From what I've seen and read, he checks off all the boxes of the stereotypical Russian hockey player. I don't mean that as a compliment either.

He's in no position to hold Dallas at gun point over who the coach is, what his contract is like, etc. No player should be, but if one was it wouldn't be him.

He needs to grow up.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's gonna be awkward for all the Stars fans who are trashing Nichushkin when he ends up signing in Dallas anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Here's the translation from russian to english that google gave me

Hockey agent Mark Gandler, representing striker Valeri Nichushkin , refrained from commenting on the possible signing his client a contract with CSKA, and said that the situation in the negotiations with the "Dallas" has not changed. Recall that the 21-year-old striker is a restricted free agent. "As for the transfer of rights to Valeria Nichushkin of" Dynamo "in CSKA, then it does not depend on me. Regarding Nichushkin signing a contract with "CSKA" I can say the following: I will not comment on anything until something is done. The situation with the "Dallas"? It has not changed ", - said Gandler, told" Championship "Paul Panyshevym

http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...om-ne-izmenilas-po-cska-bez-kommentariev.html

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
If you're going to be a Primadonna off the ice, at least prove you're worth the headache on the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it bad that I hope he goes back?

If he figures it out in the KHL, which NHL team is he going to want to play for? The Rangers, the team that his friend Buchnevich plays for.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm confused, Dallas fans told us he's happy and his comments about the coaching staff were out of context/lost in translation.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Sharp, Hemsky, Eaves and Hudler are all UFAs on July 1st.

Lots of roster holes up front in 17-18

And by that time, you're going to have Devin Shore, Jason Dickenson, Brett Ritchie, and Curtis McKenzie ready for larger roles and Radek Faksa and Mathias Janmark already there and moving up the depth chart. Dennis Gurianov also isn't far off the mark.

It'll be the same approach as the Stars are taking on the blue line — where the likes of Jon Klingberg, Stephen Johns, Esa Lindell, and soon, Julius Honka, will take on more time — and he'll have the flexibility to bring on a few pieces on short-term deals if he needs to fill the gap. No panic here.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It hasn't even been confirmed that he's left North America, yet we're all so quick to say good-bye :laugh:

I'm just glad there's finally progress being made, after weeks of zero talk or updates between the two sides. Hopefully this is all over soon. I've been saying for a while that I think he's done in the NHL, at least for now. We'll see how it plays out.

It's gonna be awkward for all the Stars fans who are trashing Nichushkin when he ends up signing in Dallas anyway.

Hey, if he changes his mind and re-ups with Dallas, I'll be fine with it.

Right now all I'm asking is that he finally decide where the **** he wants to play and sign already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm just glad there's finally progress being made, after weeks of zero talk or updates between the two sides. Hopefully this is all over soon. I've been saying for a while that I think he's done in the NHL, at least for now. We'll see how it plays out.

Zero talk? Do you have access to the smart phones of Stars executives?

Hurricane Hugo

Jun 11, 2010
South Carolina
I don't understand why some people are so spiteful about this. He couldn't come to terms with the Stars, he had every right to sign overseas. It's not like he pulled a Kovalchuk and bailed on his team mid-contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad