Rumor: Valeri Nichushkin close to a KHL deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
HF Boards all-stars screaming at the horvat vs nish pick, hilarious now.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This guy was the steal of his draft, went 26th overall and would be picked in the top 5 in a re-draft.

evgeny_kuznetsov1.jpg

Except he was smart and patient and developed more in Russia before jumping over

I cant remember the worry around Nichushkin, but I thought the reason many teams passed on him was he wanted to come over and jump to the NHL right away or he wouldnt come over (or go to the AHL) and Dallas made him that guarantee

If true, Nichushkin was an impatient teenager and it possibly stunted his development

Kuznetsov came over 3 years after he was drafted and he clearly was more ready when he stepped in and in his second full season was nearly PPG

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Except he was smart and patient and developed more in Russia before jumping over

I cant remember the worry around Nichushkin, but I thought the reason many teams passed on him was he wanted to come over and jump to the NHL right away or he wouldnt come over (or go to the AHL) and Dallas made him that guarantee

If true, Nichushkin was an impatient teenager and it possibly stunted his development

Kuznetsov came over 3 years after he was drafted and he clearly was more ready when he stepped in and in his second full season was nearly PPG

The only way his KHL team would let him out of his contract at the time was if he was in the NHL. They wouldnt release him to come over and play in the AHL.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
HF Boards all-stars screaming at the horvat vs nish pick, hilarious now.

Especially when the correct answer to the Horvat vs Nichushkin question is Max Domi.

I hope a team steps in and offers up for him. I love the guy and saw a lot of games last year where he was extremely dominant. Then the next game he played 8 mins or so. And back and forth.

Obviously nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes but id love to know whats up between him and Ruff.

If a team acquires him, I think he will become a stud. He's still so young and basically just finished up his sophomore season(basically cause he missed a year almost due to injury)

"A lot of games where he was extremely dominant." That's simply not true. Not by any measurement. He had one game against the Devils (I believe) where he had a goal and an assist and looked pretty good. That was it. It wasn't even extremely dominant. It was a handful of good shifts in one game.

Meh two years, he might just come back a better, more humble player.

Maybe. The problem is he's going to a big international rink to play against inferior talent. He needs to find a physical game, learn how to win puck battles, and do more with the puck in tight spaces. If he was going to the AHL, I'd expect some growth, but he's returning to the big rink where he can skate away from working on the weakest parts of his game (other than his beer league quality shot on goal).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Especially when the correct answer to the Horvat vs Nichushkin question is Max Domi.

"A lot of games where he was extremely dominant." That's simply not true. Not by any measurement. He had one game against the Devils (I believe) where he had a goal and an assist and looked pretty good. That was it. It wasn't even extremely dominant. It was a handful of good shifts in one game.

Maybe. The problem is he's going to a big international rink to play against inferior talent. He needs to find a physical game, learn how to win puck battles, and do more with the puck in tight spaces. If he was going to the AHL, I'd expect some growth, but he's returning to the big rink where he can skate away from working on the weakest parts of his game (other than his beer league quality shot on goal).

I guess I shouldn't have said "a lot"... should have used "there were some games he was dominant and you could see what he can become"

the main game that comes to mind for me was VS Canucks. He was dominant and was on a whole new level.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We knew that he and Ruff would be a terrible fit.

Don't really think this is Ruffs fault here though. Nichuskin wasn't artificially put at a disadvantage . Yeah he played all over the lineup but so did anyone not named Benn and Seguin . ( and even those got seperated and switched around a bit last year ) . Most of the time he still played top 6 his most frequent linemate was Spezza.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Sounds like the KHL is by far the best opportunity for him right now. I don't blame him one bit. I'd do the same.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
wanted the Devils to take him when he fell to them in the draft

thankfully the Canucks stepped in and gave us Cory

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy was the steal of his draft, went 26th overall and would be picked in the top 5 in a re-draft.

evgeny_kuznetsov1.jpg

He's an RFA next year and one good season doesn't make a great draft pick. He has 34 career goals.

12 players from that draft have scored more points than him as well. He's got a long way to go.

...and even if he does stay in the NHL, he's going to make sure Washington pays up. He just said this: "If I would be in (Kucherov’s) position, I would be signed in the KHL for sure...I would sign and say bye,” Kuznetsov said, according to ESPN’s Craig Custance. “That’s me. I would buy a beach house and a couple Rolls-Royces."

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
if he doesn't want his career ruined anymore than it already is, he must try himself in the khl. ruff and dallas will bury him alive on the bench, lol

serp

Jan 17, 2016
if he doesn't want his career ruined anymore than it already is, he must try himself in the khl. ruff and dallas will bury him alive on the bench, lol

Mostly top 6 minutes with Spezza even when he sucked but yeah buried on the bench .

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
It's probably what's best for him development wise. He was struggling in the NHL by all accounts anyways. He definitely has the tools to be a good NHLer someday. Give him a couple years and he'll be back.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Holy **** I wanted Carolina to draft this guy so badly in 2013.

Doesn't want to play for Lindy Ruff yet the team finished first in the West last season. Sounds like he's got some growing up to do.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

What really set Nichushkin back is his injury. He missed a full year at the age of 20, an age at which forwards blossom and discover their true potential. He's got a lot of unexploited skill, he's a good reclamation project. He should've stayed longer in the KHL, but perhaps he felt pressured to join the Stars who needed immediate help on the wings.

He's an RFA next year and one good season doesn't make a great draft pick. He has 34 career goals.

12 players from that draft have scored more points than him as well. He's got a long way to go.

...and even if he does stay in the NHL, he's going to make sure Washington pays up. He just said this: "If I would be in (Kucherov’s) position, I would be signed in the KHL for sure...I would sign and say bye,” Kuznetsov said, according to ESPN’s Craig Custance. “That’s me. I would buy a beach house and a couple Rolls-Royces."

Where did you find that quote? Seems really out of character, I don't buy it. Also, you judge a playmaker by the number of goals he scored? How about finishing top 10 in scoring while getting very little PP minutes and averaging 17:30 minutes per game? 5th highest P/60 in the league behind only Kane, McDavid, Thornton and Benn. He's an outstanding draft pick and has shown more in a single year than the vast majority of his draft class. He took a pay cut on his bridge deal and he'll be locked up long term in Washington.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad