Rumor: Valeri Nichushkin close to a KHL deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Certainly a change of attitude of stars fans and Nuke over the last year.

Agreed. Funny thing to me the Dallas fans railing on VN sounds more like a justified attitude. Not the typical sour grapes type of vitriol you expect on HF.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 52s53 seconds ago
Now, word the Nichushkin signing to CSKA Moscow will indeed occur. Nothing official yet, but going down that road.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I've never been a Nichushkin fan (could not believe how many people we're arguing taking him over guys like Barkov and Monahan during the months leading up to that draft), but I think this is actually a positive thing for his development. I suspect he comes back to NA in his mid-20's a much better player.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Today's players all think they deserve instant 1st line roles. No one wants to work for it or earn it by starting on the 3rd and proving they deserve it.
Hope it works out for him.
Stars will be just fine without him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I've never been a Nichushkin fan (could not believe how many people we're arguing taking him over guys like Barkov and Monahan during the months leading up to that draft), but I think this is actually a positive thing for his development. I suspect he comes back to NA in his mid-20's a much better player.

When is the last example of a player that went KHL-NHL-KHL and then came back to the NHL later and was a much better player?

I thinks more hope and dreams than reality. The KHL isnt really known for player development, especially when said player already bailed trying to be successful at the NHL level

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When is the last example of a player that went KHL-NHL-KHL and then came back to the NHL later and was a much better player?

I thinks more hope and dreams than reality. The KHL isnt really known for player development, especially when said player already bailed trying to be successful at the NHL level

Giordano became a much better player once he left the NHL then returned.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even in the KHL he's not just gonna play because he theoretically has talent ( that he doesn't show enough ) . If he really thinks the only reason he doesn't produce all that well and doesn't get the minutes he wants is Ruff he's delusional. Lindy is all over the place with minutes for anyone but the top players sure but he's been very fair with that you can earn to play big minutes if you make the most out of what you're given. Val hasn't done that last year.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
If Russians want to have a terrible attitude, let them go home. We dont need them here. We have enough Canadians,Americans,Finns,Swedes,Czechs,Slovaks,Danes and even Russians who want to be here.

this just adds to the russian hockey stereotype..

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Giordano became a much better player once he left the NHL then returned.

But did he start in the KHL? That is important in this factor, as it limits it to just Russians leaving Russia, then coming home. Players like Radulov would fit his description, but even he went to the QMJHL before getting drafted. Kovalchuk would too if he ever comes back.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
If the main reason is really that he won't play under Ruff,

As a Habs fan, I'd offer

Andrighetto + conditional 1st 2017 (if he reaches 55 points)
Andrighetto + conditional 2nd 2017 (if he reaches 40 points)
Andrighetto straight up if under 40 points

MT is x1000 worse than Ruff, I guess he doesn't know it... yet :help:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton picking Nurse over Risto was the big error. It just forced them to pay thru the nose for a RHD three years later.

Yeah, though I think Nurse is still going to be a valuable player for the Oilers.

Thing is if you change even one thing going back, odds are they don't get McDavid. Everything had to happen exactly the way it did for them to land the McDavid pick.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
But did he start in the KHL? That is important in this factor, as it limits it to just Russians leaving Russia, then coming home. Players like Radulov would fit his description, but even he went to the QMJHL before getting drafted. Kovalchuk would too if he ever comes back.

Exactly. Giordano grew up learning the North American game and just expanded his game by going overseas

This is more about born and bread Russian players grow up playing the euro ice and style of play, coming to NA, then going back because they didnt like it, werent successful or chased money

They typically dont come over a second time and then come back a better player of all things

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I remember how much HF boards laughed at the Horvat pick since Nichushkin wen't right after.

Now he's headed off to Russia....and Horvat is coming off a 40 pt season and trending up

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 52s53 seconds ago
Now, word the Nichushkin signing to CSKA Moscow will indeed occur. Nothing official yet, but going down that road.

What's crazy is I remember Devils fans arguing back and forth for months about Nichushkin. There were 2 camps:

Camp A: We just lost Kovalchuk. No more potential KHLs flight risks with such an important pick.

Camp B: Take your tinfoil hat off. Virtually no chance he bolts back to the KHL

Traded the pick anyway, but pretty sure members of our board would be plotting to invade Russia if we had selected him and this occurred.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Whenever someone tells me a Russian was "the steal of the draft"

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

Sooner or later, negotiating against the KHL leaves you crying or broke.

This guy was the steal of his draft, went 26th overall and would be picked in the top 5 in a re-draft.

evgeny_kuznetsov1.jpg

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
I don't think this will hurt the stars. But I'm definitely not happy he is leaving. As a far I guess it makes me not want him on the team. Hopefully he turns his game around and learns to be a team player and/or score. See ya Val. Kind of a huge waste of time.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
This guy was the steal of his draft, went 26th overall and would be picked in the top 5 in a re-draft.

evgeny_kuznetsov1.jpg

Ironic he was also drafted to a team with one of the most iconic Russian players of all time. I'm gonna venture that probably helps matters.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hope a team steps in and offers up for him. I love the guy and saw a lot of games last year where he was extremely dominant. Then the next game he played 8 mins or so. And back and forth.

Obviously nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes but id love to know whats up between him and Ruff.

If a team acquires him, I think he will become a stud. He's still so young and basically just finished up his sophomore season(basically cause he missed a year almost due to injury)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Best situation for Dallas really. If he came back he'd most likely be playing 3rd/4th line, and now he can spend 2 years hopefully playing top 6 minutes

Either he comes back down the road as a better player, or someone else takes his minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad