USMNT Thread Part VIII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Getting robbed out of a semifinal chance in 2002 is when I would say we peaked.
We had a good run after that, a good record vs Mexico, won some Gold Cups, etc. We had some great WC matches against top teams like Portugal, England, Belgium off the top of my head.

Those teams were underrated in how entertaining they were and productive.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We had a good run after that, a good record vs Mexico, won some Gold Cups, etc. We had some great WC matches against top teams like Portugal, England, Belgium off the top of my head.

Those teams were underrated in how entertaining they were and productive.

I still think that was our highest point. We are currently in our lowest point since what the early 90's? That is pretty bad.

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm at a loss for words. That was the worst game we've played against Mexico in over a decade. I mean why hire the superior coach when we can hire a coach who speak English?

Could have hired Jesse Marsch- whose system is ideal for a team of athletic players going against more skilled possession clubs.

The USA has had its best results historically while playing as a counterattacking team picking its moments.

Reactions: sabremike
Sep 19, 2008
Dest got some criticism on boards for his play but I wouldn't blame him for his gaffe which led to the first Mexico goal.

Kid's still young and has a lot to learn but has potential.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Canada is absolutely knocking us out of the Nation's League. Good thing CONCALAUGH is so incredibly corrupt and gave us a bye to the hex we in no way shape or form deserved.

Sep 19, 2008
Canada is absolutely knocking us out of the Nation's League. Good thing CONCALAUGH is so incredibly corrupt and gave us a bye to the hex we in no way shape or form deserved.
i ain't scared of canada

the US as much as they struggle are still better and have a better roster than Canada of all countries :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dest got some criticism on boards for his play but I wouldn't blame him for his gaffe which led to the first Mexico goal.

Kid's still young and has a lot to learn but has potential.

He's absolutely better at LB than Ream, that doesn't make him good defensively though. He's 18 and will learn and develop.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The sooner people stop overrating Pulisic, the better

How is he overrated?

If you are going to cite his play for his NT, save your time and don't even respond. Plenty of national football medias overrate the best player on their NT with regard to how they should play for the National Team.

Pulisic is completely proven in Europe, and actually underrated, if anything. People like you want to shout overrated at any chance and all the coverage he got last season was extremely negative, despite having a very productive season. Would you know that? No, you are too caught up trying to catch onto the approved narrative.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I mean you can, Pulisic is just nowhere near that good. Ronaldo has done it with Portugal at times.

Huh? Those Portuguese teams while less talented overall than Spain or Germany. Still had plenty of talent. No where near Lebron comparison imo.

This is the problem when you hire MLS coaches, their tactics aren't tested against top tier clubs. You can be Pep or Klopp in the MLS and get away with it.

True, I mean its not like the team they faced hired their coach from MLS....

Reactions: Basement Cat

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Huh? Those Portuguese teams while less talented overall than Spain or Germany. Still had plenty of talent. No where near Lebron comparison imo.

Portugal before their youth came up sucked. Lebron has also had plenty of talent with him when he won.

He also managed Barca and Argentina, his tactics are tested against the best in the world.

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
People see u get beat once badly and think your a bad defender in all sports. But if u stand off or position yourself poorly on the field/ice/court and dont make glaring errors people will think your not as bad at defending. Dest got beat by arguably the best dribbler on the continent. He shud have fouled him, but didn't. Doesnt excuse the fact that no one was even near the guy that's scored like 50 goals for mexico.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
People see u get beat once badly and think your a bad defender in all sports. But if u stand off or position yourself poorly on the field/ice/court and dont make glaring errors people will think your not as bad at defending. Dest got beat by arguably the best dribbler on the continent. He shud have fouled him, but didn't. Doesnt excuse the fact that no one was even near the guy that's scored like 50 goals for mexico.

He's 18 and he's more of an attacking full back. He's going to have many moments like that for a few more years. That's the problem when people hype up young players that are still raw and not fully developed.

He has just 191 minutes with Ajax's 1st team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
He's 18 and he's more of an attacking full back. He's going to have many moments like that for a few more years. That's the problem when people hype up young players that are still raw and not fully developed.

He has just 191 minutes with Ajax's 1st team.
It was just one incident. Even if he is an attacking fullback, it was one play. Tecatito will do that to a hell of a lot of fullbacks in his career.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It was just one incident. Even if he is an attacking fullback, it was one play. Tecatito will do that to a hell of a lot of fullbacks in his career.
Sure, it's one play, but that doesn't mean that defending is a weaker part of his game and that he is still very raw. That doesn't shield him from critiques and the over-hyping of him is already a problem. The casual sports media just sees young American on a Euro team and assumes they are a future superstar. He has a lot of potential, but he still needs a good amount of development.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

It’s not like LeBron hasn’t had talent with him.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

This is his 3rd national team job. He managed Newell and Barcelona for christ sake.

He may have been hired from Atlanta, but he's hardly an MLS coach in the way we're discussing here.

He would have been a great hire for the USMNT. But not because he simply succeeded at Atlanta. Because he has a career around the world of success and experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad