USMNT Thread Part VIII

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
the tactics are horrendous. the obsession with playing out of the back is a disease. if the other team is going to high press and try to compress the game than the space is over the top of their defense. why are we putting the ball at the feet of our worst player with the ball at his feet (the goalie) and trying to play one twos inside of our own 18.

the most common play has been long passing the ball to steffan who passes it either sideways or backwards to zimmermann. zimmermann has no options other than to try to get it to boyd or zardes or a short pass to a CM who if he receives the pass is facing his own goal at the top of the 18 with no options or mexico picks the pass off. i just find it bizarre that the way managers (gregg) think to break a high aggressive press is to put yourself under immense pressure trying short passing 1/2s with the players who are the worst on the pitch with the ball at their feet.

why are zardes and boyd never running into space on the flanks trying to push the mexican defenders deeper and providing an out to beat the press? you do that successfully and the mexican defenders have to drop deeper and creates a large gap between mexicos defense and attack unless mexicos press drops off to narrow the distance between defense and attack.

its like gregg thinks this is fifa and hes pep's barcelona where every pass no matter what the pressure is perfect and u can tic tac toe from goal to striker and score.
Basically he is attempting to force a square peg into a round hole by playing a style his players can't pull off, which is the hallmark of a terrible coach.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Basically he is attempting to force a square peg into a round hole by playing a style his players can't pull off, which is the hallmark of a terrible coach.
im really not sure any national team in the world can play that style. its a suicidal strategy unless your basically peps barcelona.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I wish Pulisic was in a central attacking role. That would keep him involved in more plays. He simply doesn't have enough help on this team.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Man this is so tough to watch. Mexico is a good team but we are are better than this

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is the problem when you hire MLS coaches, their tactics aren't tested against top tier clubs. You can be Pep or Klopp in the MLS and get away with it.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
I hate it when people give us shit about our national team. I get it, we suck. Our best athletes don't play soccer, period. We are doing the best with what we have. No one expects us to be great so just shut up about it. Maybe it's our overzealous expectations.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm at a loss for words. That was the worst game we've played against Mexico in over a decade. I mean why hire the superior coach when we can hire a coach who speak English?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I hate it when people give us **** about our national team. I get it, we suck. Our best athletes don't play soccer, period. We are doing the best with what we have. No one expects us to be great so just shut up about it. Maybe it's our overzealous expectations.
It’s definitely because of American arrogance which is part of your overzealous expectations. You’d be the best soccer team if your best athletes played soccer.... lol.

I’ll see myself out

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I now people will sneer at this comment. But our best hope at a World cup is 7 years off. Then God knows how long, but we have 7 years before we have home cooking and the traditional strengths that come with it. One that even as a middling nation we took the eventual winners to the wire and advanced out of groups when nobody thought we could. We built on that for a bit before tumbling back, but that is our big opportunity and it really starts now.

It is time for some serious investment here. Hey maybe instead of illegally paying college basketball players we could get some investment from some of our big partners and get some money dumped into the coaching and youth systems. We really don't have time for this right now. The clock is ticking and we have an inept coach that is sitting around pining for Tyler Adams to be the linchpin in his system.

Get a real coach and some real investment, we spent the entire year fighting against our successful national team and remain woefully short in the areas we should be investing more in for our worse team. I get that maybe USSF cannot, but man we need help, time to put your palms out to the big soccer partners and developers, get our next coach with the same ridiculous loophole tie-ins we have with other coaches in this country. Go give a guy 10 million per and say go time.

It's pathetic where this program is and I don't need to watch another Berhalter game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad