USMNT Thread Part VIII

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think the process has been a charlie-foxtrot, but presuming those reports are accurate, the end result ought to be just fine.

Of course, I'm a Crew SC supporter, so I may be a teensy bit biased.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So Berhalter will be announced this week, hard to see how Cordeiro and Stewart think this process went well.
I wonder how Jay Berhalter feels about it. This whole process was a joke, rigged for Greg Berhalter. USMNT has done nothing at all to get away from their status quo.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not into those kind of conspiracy theories about Jay and Earnie and all the other guys. I just think they are really that incompetent. And I don't have a problem with the Berhalter becoming the head coach, but the fact that it has taken as long as it has, offering a very small shortlist of potential coaches, apparently requiring coaches to speak English, and I just find that lazy. And waiting for Columbus to get out of the playoffs to announce Berhalter is just stupid too.

Sep 19, 2008
Some talk about Stieffen being loaned to Man City. He did well for MLS with Columbus Crew. Saw him in person against United. He is a rising USMNT prospect but there are questions about whether he'll see time in the EPL. Many Americans have come to EPL, not gotten time (see Landon Donovan) and had their careers stagnate.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
LD's 2nd spell was nowhere near as successful as the first actually.
After the first I would have wanted him on a permanent, after the 2nd, i was comfortable with him returning to the Galaxy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dont believe it is a loan, believe it is a transfer for 7 million dollars
Massive Report (SBNation's Crew SC blog) is reporting independent confirmation of it being a transfer, that it's for $9 mil, and that if he can't get a work permit he'll be loaned to Nice:
Zack Steffen moving from Crew SC to Manchester City

Incidentally, it also mentions that there's a chance said money could end up going to Precourt for his eventual Austin franchise. I will be PISSED OFF BEYOND WORDS if that happens. But that's probably a topic for the MLS thread.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Massive Report (SBNation's Crew SC blog) is reporting independent confirmation of it being a transfer, that it's for $9 mil, and that if he can't get a work permit he'll be loaned to Nice:

Incidentally, it also mentions that there's a chance said money could end up going to Precourt for his eventual Austin franchise. I will be PISSED OFF BEYOND WORDS if that happens. But that's probably a topic for the MLS thread.
Nice could be interesting. With Viera there, he definitely knows about Steffen's talent. Don't know much about their keeper situation though.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Steffen wouldnt start at Nice either, have to think Benitez would keep his job.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Meh,

Depends on how the transfer is structured. IE incentives and what not. There is also the chance it is in installment plans as many transfers are. That said, if you are selling a "company" and you know something like this is on the books it effects the sell price regardless. Similar to if company X bought company Y and company Y had $5 million in cash. That cash is basically just added to the value of the company. I have a feeling if the Steffen transfer included payments over time, that value would just be added to the agreed upon price of the sale of the company.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Tata Martino would have been a great USMNT hire. Great job on that.

Let’s wait and not distract from the MLS season in our search while the best coach walks over to our rivals.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tata Martino would have been a great USMNT hire. Great job on that.

Let’s wait and not distract from the MLS season in our search while the best coach walks over to our rivals.
Absolutely, but USMNT pretended to have a search, when the whole thing was rigged for Berhalter the whole time.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Absolutely, but USMNT pretended to have a search, when the whole thing was rigged for Berhalter the whole time.

Yup. Very clear they made their minds up months ago and just let this all play out. Terrible management.

I watch some MLS and I'm not anti-MLS, but I split on the USMNT. The USMNT is not there to be an extension and promoter of MLS. I'm not full Jurgen on this, but I just really cringe when I see this growing movement of hipster euro rejection of anything on MLS.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just really cringe when I see this growing movement of hipster euro rejection of anything on MLS.
OMG yes. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Berhalter will be officially announced Tuesday at noon ET in NYC

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not sure I've ever been so underwhelmed when it comes to a coaching hire. And its not because I didn't want Berhalter or an MLS coach, he was actually the guy that first came to mind when Arena resigned. But the fact that it took 14 months and the fact that they never really did a proper coaching search is mind boggling to me. I can't think of any of federation pulling that off after a major embarrassment that we just did. And the fact that his first camp with the team will be a bunch of MLS players and his first game will be in February doesn't make this any better.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Would not be shocked to find out that he was always the guy, and they waited b/c they wanted to let the Columbus/Austin situation work itself out first.

Sep 19, 2008
I've said before that waiting after the WC was fine but the issue was after seeing who was available after the WC they proceeded to sit on their butts until DECEMBEr

The World Cup ended in like July. What did you do between then and December 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad