Prospect Info: Urho Vaakanainen

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Luckily we have absolutely no reason to rush him. He's in a great position, should have some confidence even though he's not 100% ready yet. Give him a year or two, call up here, call up there.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Luckily we have absolutely no reason to rush him. He's in a great position, should have some confidence even though he's not 100% ready yet. Give him a year or two, call up here, call up there.

Why. Do you think McAvoy or Carlo would have benefited from being sent to the AHL when they were good enough to play for the big club? Sometimes guys are better in the NHL than they are in the AHL. I get the impression from Vaak that he could be one of these guys. I don't think Carlo or Charlie would have set the AHL on fire in fact they might have been worse AHL rookies than they were NHL rookies.

If we feel like we have a guy capable of replacing Chara you break him in while Chara is still here not stick him in the AHL and ask him to step into that role with no experience. If it means John Moore is the 7th D man that is OK.

Moore is a Bruin because Grizz and Krug struggled defensively on the playoffs. Moore and Grizz should not be the reason Urho gets sent down. I put Urho in the lineup opening night. Give him the first 3-4 games. If he plays well you likely have found a LH answer to Carlo and McAvoy. If hes not ready Moore steps into the lineup.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Why. Do you think McAvoy or Carlo would have benefited from being sent to the AHL when they were good enough to play for the big club? Sometimes guys are better in the NHL than they are in the AHL. I get the impression from Vaak that he could be one of these guys. I don't think Carlo or Charlie would have set the AHL on fire in fact they might have been worse AHL rookies than they were NHL rookies.

If we feel like we have a guy capable of replacing Chara you break him in while Chara is still here not stick him in the AHL and ask him to step into that role with no experience. If it means John Moore is the 7th D man that is OK.

Moore is a Bruin because Grizz and Krug struggled defensively on the playoffs. Moore and Grizz should not be the reason Urho gets sent down. I put Urho in the lineup opening night. Give him the first 3-4 games. If he plays well you likely have found a LH answer to Carlo and McAvoy. If hes not ready Moore steps into the lineup.

So whose going to the AHL? Moore and Grz are not waiver exempt, so you're going to have to carry 8 d-men

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
So whose going to the AHL? Moore and Grz are not waiver exempt, so you're going to have to carry 8 d-men

Carry 8. Its a good problem to have. Give older players more nights off.

Why do you want to block a potential stud D man for Moore and Grizz?

Reactions: TCB

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Urho is the flavor of the month, it appears. He should nevertheless be in Providence to log a lot of minutes. Even with Krug out, the left side is covered with Chara, Moore and Grzelcyk. Kampfer can be the #7.

Urho will be a regular in the Boston lineup soon enough.

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
im sorry but preseason and regular season is like comparing game 20 of reg season to first round of the playoffs . Nothing alike
That said i hope im wrong and hes the next great bruiins D :)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Reading and thinking about this Urho dilemma, what a great problem to have.

Nevermind the decision, it looks like he ll shine in B's uniform sooner or later and later will be soon anyway.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Carry 8. Its a good problem to have. Give older players more nights off.

Why do you want to block a potential stud D man for Moore and Grizz?

Who said I want to block him? I'm not looking at this like a fan, in looking at this from all angles.

Boston typically carries 14 FWD & 7 DEF

To keep 8 DEF, you need to send a FWD down. So whose the young FWD getting blocked so we can have two d-men sit upstairs

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Vaak play was nice to see. He over pinched at times but seemed to have the speed to recover. His passing and skating are NHL ready. Seems very confident and composed.

Preseason or not he was one of the better defenseman on the ice. Gives Sweeney and company some hard choices.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad