Prospect Info: Urho Vaakanainen

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Krug, Acciari Return in B's Loss to Red Wings

URHO SHINES
: Vaakanainen was one of the bright spots against the Wings, logging 20:37 of ice time, the second-highest total on the Bruins. The Bruins' 2017 first-round pick also blocked two shots and registered a plus-1 rating.
"I like him. I thought he was very good tonight," said Bruce Cassidy. "Joins the rush effectively, at the right times; pretty smart, gets through there clean. He's probably figuring out some of the guys, what plays are there to be made, moves well at the offensive blue line.
"I think he doesn't look like he gets many shots blocked, so I think he does a good job of finding the lane. It's not always on net, but at least it's through to the area, so good defender with his feet and stick.
"Like a lot of young guys, he'll have to get harder on those small-area battles, but I think that's normal. I think he's been really good."

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Waiving Grz would be dumb. I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying playing Moore just because of his contract is worse than putting someone who should be in the NHL in the AHL, especially since that will also give reduced minutes to the players who would actually benefit from playing more minutes there like Lauzon and Zboril.

But what your missing is someone has to get sent down/waived for Vaak to stay.

-Krug, Chara, Carlo, McAvoy, Miller are locks for the team
-They are not going to waive Moore, who they just signed
-They probably don't want to waive Grz because he'll get claimed

The only way they can keep 2 extra d-men is to carry 1 extra forward. In that case, whose the odd man out. Now again based on the choices, they'd probably need to clear waivers.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
But what your missing is someone has to get sent down/waived for Vaak to stay.

-Krug, Chara, Carlo, McAvoy, Miller are locks for the team
-They are not going to waive Moore, who they just signed
-They probably don't want to waive Grz because he'll get claimed

The only way they can keep 2 extra d-men is to carry 1 extra forward. In that case, whose the odd man out. Now again based on the choices, they'd probably need to clear waivers.

No, I'm not missing it. I fully understand the roster implications. And I'd be happy to waive or trade Moore. Does that mean the Bruins front office would be? No, of course not. And I understand that. I'm simply talking about doing whatever to ice the best possible lineup, regardless of how recent one's contract was signed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krug, Acciari Return in B's Loss to Red Wings

URHO SHINES
: Vaakanainen was one of the bright spots against the Wings, logging 20:37 of ice time, the second-highest total on the Bruins. The Bruins' 2017 first-round pick also blocked two shots and registered a plus-1 rating.
"I like him. I thought he was very good tonight," said Bruce Cassidy. "Joins the rush effectively, at the right times; pretty smart, gets through there clean. He's probably figuring out some of the guys, what plays are there to be made, moves well at the offensive blue line.
"I think he doesn't look like he gets many shots blocked, so I think he does a good job of finding the lane. It's not always on net, but at least it's through to the area, so good defender with his feet and stick.
"Like a lot of young guys, he'll have to get harder on those small-area battles, but I think that's normal. I think he's been really good."
Vaakanainen & Andersson both teenagers who seem to show advanced games after playing in the Finnish and Swedish Elite Leagues

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Vaakanainen & Andersson both teenagers who seem to show advanced games after playing in the Finnish and Swedish Elite Leagues
What an embarrassment of riches on the back end...considering that guys like Zboril and Lauzon may still pan out

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What an embarrassment of riches on the back end...considering that guys like Zboril and Lauzon may still pan out
I was thinking what is the top 10 prospects after camp excluding Bjork & Donato. Pretty impressive

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
No, I'm not missing it. I fully understand the roster implications. And I'd be happy to waive or trade Moore. Does that mean the Bruins front office would be? No, of course not. And I understand that. I'm simply talking about doing whatever to ice the best possible lineup, regardless of how recent one's contract was signed.

Just because a guy has a handful of good pre-season games doesn't mean that's what you'll get against a full NHL squad when points matter. Hes looked good, but he also had some plays where his lack of experiance showed. Even Cassidy said he needs to work on those small area puck battles, so it's not like Vaak is a polished product.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Grizz's contract set to expire just as Turbo Urho will be primed to replace him. Sweeney's done it again. (I actually see Vaakanainen as a future first pairing D, absolutely love him.)

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Just because a guy has a handful of good pre-season games doesn't mean that's what you'll get against a full NHL squad when points matter. Hes looked good, but he also had some plays where his lack of experiance showed. Even Cassidy said he needs to work on those small area puck battles, so it's not like Vaak is a polished product.
Sure, lack of experience, nitpicks... everyone has flaws. In fact they are much more glaring with players like Moore, Grzelcyk, even Krug. I agree he starts in prov but not for the right reasons

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sure, lack of experience, nitpicks... everyone has flaws. In fact they are much more glaring with players like Moore, Grzelcyk, even Krug. I agree he starts in prov but not for the right reasons

Look I like Vaaks game and I think he'll be a very good dman, but the way some people are on here, you'd think the kid was the 2nd coming.

Reactions: Estlin

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Look I like Vaaks game and I think he'll be a very good dman, but the way some people are on here, you'd think the kid was the 2nd coming.

Ah I remember the days when for a couple camps Matt Bartkowski was the second coming. Vaak is legit and I think could play in the NHL this season if needed but he isn't used to playing even close to as a rigorous schedule as he will this year and could wear down quickly. Bruins are also very set on defense at the moment. I think 65 games with top minutes in the A would be best.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Had a good year in Finland and good camp, hopefully that carries over to Providence.

Reactions: Btown

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
With the group we have set on D it is best Vaak start in Providence logging some big minutes and learning the NA pro game. If management thought he were too good not to play, I do love the idea of this line up.

Chara-Carlo
Vaak-McAvoy
Krug-Miller

Our young D core is looking great for the near future in McAvoy, Carlo, Vaak, Anderson, Zboril, Lauzon and Gryz.

That’s not counting Krug, Moore and the lower tier prospects. Great job by Sweeney and company rebuilding this group in a short period of time!

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Ah I remember the days when for a couple camps Matt Bartkowski was the second coming. Vaak is legit and I think could play in the NHL this season if needed but he isn't used to playing even close to as a rigorous schedule as he will this year and could wear down quickly. Bruins are also very set on defense at the moment. I think 65 games with top minutes in the A would be best.

If you add every competition game from last year, Vaakanainen played 75 games (+ preseason games in NA and Finland and if he played in a WJC exhibition game). So young players play a lot in Finland.

But thanks for the updates! Happy to hear him doing well

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He will be better than most of the players in the league when he has more experience and maturity

I would send him to Providence

Absolutely agree with you. As good as he's looked in the pre-season, I can only imagine how much better he'll look once he's more adjusted to the North American style of hockey. I rather see him getting 23-25 minutes a night in Providence vs 12-15 minutes in Boston. I think he could step into the NHL now a la Carlo/McAvoy, but with the current group here I see no reason to rush him. Its not like the difference between what Vaak will give you vs Moore or Grz is significantly better.

On a side note, I think Sweeney has done an amazing job at building a pipeline of defensive players. Factoring in NHL talent + prospects, I think Boston might have the deepest group in the NHL. Some teams I think have a better defense now, but I'd put our current defense at top 5 and our pipeline of d-men top 3.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Glad to see he's doing well. Seems like him getting large minutes in the AHL would be best for him as he transitions to the north american game. If we get some D injuries him or Zboril/Lauzon will be quick callups. Lot's of D depth on this team. Sweeney is sick of having his D drop like flies come playoff time

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No he is not, at this point Moore is better.

Via experience and strength. But last game Vaaka was the best D from either team. No question

Now we will just have to see if Vaak can duplicate this on Sat. Overall he has been steady as a rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad