Prospect Info: Urho Vaakanainen

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Vaak play was nice to see. He over pinched at times but seemed to have the speed to recover. His passing and skating are NHL ready. Seems very confident and composed.

Preseason or not he was one of the better defenseman on the ice. Gives Sweeney and company some hard choices.

I think what Sweeney is going to do is start Vaaka while Krug and Grz are not ready. Once these guys are healthy, play them and if the offense is struggling (I predict it will).... make a trade for Krug, Grz, Miller etc

There are plenty of teams with extra offensive firepower but weak on the backend. Or are looking for a good PP D

End of the day soon enough Vaaka and Zboril will make their ways into the lineup. Just too good for providence to not to

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
2017 draft was stacked with 1st round calibre Ds. I believe 5 straight Ds were picked from 13-18 ... with Vaaka going 18th.

I think Bruins got lucky. Let the other teams, do all the homework.... and Vaaka fell into the Bruins lap

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
2017 draft was stacked with 1st round calibre Ds. I believe 5 straight Ds were picked from 13-18 ... with Vaaka going 18th.

I think Bruins got lucky. Let the other teams, do all the homework.... and Vaaka fell into the Bruins lap

I doubt that they took that attitude. I mean, no team just says "oh well, we'll take whoever is left over." But they did get lucky. When you do your homework and have decent trustworthy people at their positions that you can rely on it's easier to appear to get lucky.

Reactions: TCB and Chief Nine

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Its all pretty much a crapshoot after the first 7-8 or even less in any draft and Im sure the bruins entered it well prepared . They work extremely hard and take a lot of pride in making the right choice as would anyone.

But yes it bales down to luck a lot of times when your talking about 18yr olds who still have time to develop and mature as players but overall the Bruins have done quite well recently.

Though I do remember hearing the Bruins were pretty high on Liljegrin who went just before Vaak but who really knows maybe it was just a little posturing and they got the guy they really wanted.:dunno:

Reactions: rocketdan9

Chris Garner

Sep 19, 2018
With Krug out now, that gives Vaak the open door to crack the team now. I also boldly predict that Krug is going to end up having surgery to repair something in his foot, he will miss half the season, come back tearing it up and we trade him at the trade deadline for a top 6 winger to make a push for the cup - Back to Vaak

I see the D lines being Chara/Carlo McAvoy/Vaak Moore/Miller + Grz as the 7th. to start the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You posted something similar in another thread and it’s just wrong. UV didn’t “fall into the B’s lap”. According to many draft people they reached for him at 18 and the pick was criticized in many quarters at the time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t like the Vaakanainen pick I wanted the player Winnipeg took

I also talked to dealer Don who I first met in the mid 80’s

I bumped into him soon after draft and since it was only us two we had a good chat about the prospects, the team construction philosophy and how they were doing this (baseball like with strength up the middle etc) and the recently completed draft.

I asked him how close they were to taking Vesalainen and he said he was in the mix at that pick BUT his scouts (with an ‘s’) were really high on Vaakanainen. I joked the worst part is I have to spell it and he laughed and said they really liked him and you have to go with them that’s what they are paid to do.

He said when Victor Bergland was picked he said 2 of his scouts were banging on the table to take this guy they did.

He’s open-minded and allows his staff to have input that is considered which anyone successful in a work force knows is vital.

Conclusion 1: Sweeney is a bum he had no idea about Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Lauko, Andersson etc they were picked by scouts not him

Conclusion 2: this is exemplary structure where management and scouting personnel have a voice and an end result is arrived at after opinions are presented and a consensus is met

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I bumped into him soon after draft and since it was only us two we had a good chat about the prospects, the team construction philosophy and how they were doing this (baseball like with strength up the middle etc) and the recently completed draft.

I asked him how close they were to taking Vesalainen and he said he was in the mix at that pick BUT his scouts (with an ‘s’) were really high on Vaakanainen. I joked the worst part is I have to spell it and he laughed and said they really liked him and you have to go with them that’s what they are paid to do.

He said when Victor Bergland was picked he said 2 of his scouts were banging on the table to take this guy they did.

He’s open-minded and allows his staff to have input that is considered which anyone successful in a work force knows is vital.

Conclusion 1: Sweeney is a bum he had no idea about Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Lauko, Andersson etc they were picked by scouts not him

Conclusion 2: this is exemplary structure where management and scouting personnel have a voice and an end result is arrived at after opinions are presented and a consensus is met

IIRC 2017 wasn't getting a lot of love as a whole because the top end just wasn't there, but there are a lot of players to like from that draft looking to contribute sooner rather than later.

Reactions: DKH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I imagine Sweeney leans heavily on his scouts (as would most GM's). I mean all he really has to go on is their reports since he himself can't see all these guys play over the course of their draft season. Be curious to know outside of the combine and video how much he actually gets to checkout these kids.

I will say, for as much flack as this group gets for the 2015 draft, they've done a great job in those 2-4 rounds. I mean even the 1st has been pretty solid with McAvoy, DeBrusk, Vaak, Frederic (who could all start the year in Boston)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I imagine Sweeney leans heavily on his scouts (as would most GM's). I mean all he really has to go on is their reports since he himself can't see all these guys play over the course of their draft season. Be curious to know outside of the combine and video how much he actually gets to checkout these kids.

I will say, for as much flack as this group gets for the 2015 draft, they've done a great job in those 2-4 rounds. I mean even the 1st has been pretty solid with McAvoy, DeBrusk, Vaak, Frederic (who could all start the year in Boston)
He lives local and can get to Merrimack or Lowell in 10 minutes to watch a game. I went to a mid week game at Merrimack and watched Bjork. I didn’t see the Bruins guys there but Sweeney told me he was there and asked me if I went.

He’s a scout at heart and probably doesn’t get to watch as much with Boston and the Friday night Providence games and often Sunday.

The 2015 draft is far from over though I still say the top 6 all end up NHL regulars also Vladar was in that draft

Last edited:
Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I imagine it's the same everywhere. How can you hire scouts to scout players, then when the draft rolls around, say you like a guy better because of a nice profile in The Hockey News. As the GM, you set a philosophy of what you want (character is obviously a huge emphasis in Boston) and then try to hire the best scouts.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He lives local and can get to Merrimack or Lowell in 10 minutes to watch a game. I went to a mid week game at Merrimack and watched Bjork. I didn’t see the Bruins guys there but Sweeney told me he was there and asked me if I went.

He’s a scout at heart and probably doesn’t get to watch as much with Boston and the Friday night Providence games and often Sunday.

The 2015 draft is far from over though I still say the top 6 all end up NHL regulars

I still have hope for the 2015 draft. I know some fans are quick to get down on it, but I still see the upside with guys like Zboril, Senyshyn and Lauzon. Maybe they don't turn out to be what I had hoped as a fan, but at the end of the day if they can help bring a cup to Boston, that's all I care about. As far as the 2015 draft, I'd even throw Vladar as a guy who could end up as an NHL regular and if that's the case, I think Sweeney's 2015 draft is a huge success. I mean how many teams have had a draft that came out with 7 NHL regulars lol.

In your opinion what do you think are the top 3 things Sweeney and Co. value/look for in prospects? I always like to look and see if there are specific trends via position, league, nationality, skill set when it comes to how the B's draft. With Sweeney and Co. It seems like skating, IQ and 200ft game are their 3 pillars so to speak.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You posted something similar in another thread and it’s just wrong. UV didn’t “fall into the B’s lap”. According to many draft people they reached for him at 18 and the pick was criticized in many quarters at the time.

Whatever the case is, its been a blessing was my point..:laugh:

And I disagree. Bob Mckenzie and other draft experts had him ranked late teens/early 20s range if iam not mistaken

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I still have hope for the 2015 draft. I know some fans are quick to get down on it, but I still see the upside with guys like Zboril, Senyshyn and Lauzon. Maybe they don't turn out to be what I had hoped as a fan, but at the end of the day if they can help bring a cup to Boston, that's all I care about. As far as the 2015 draft, I'd even throw Vladar as a guy who could end up as an NHL regular and if that's the case, I think Sweeney's 2015 draft is a huge success. I mean how many teams have had a draft that came out with 7 NHL regulars lol.

In your opinion what do you think are the top 3 things Sweeney and Co. value/look for in prospects? I always like to look and see if there are specific trends via position, league, nationality, skill set when it comes to how the B's draft. With Sweeney and Co. It seems like skating, IQ and 200ft game are their 3 pillars so to speak.

Debrusk, Carlo are legit

Zboril, Vladar look promising

And all Hughes does it put up points it seems (wildcard)

Not sure how JFK, Seny, Lauzon will pan out

dizzler

May 23, 2010
Finland
Hi everyone. Is Vaakanainen going to be playing powerplay? I understood he's been playing in the preseason.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hi everyone. Is Vaakanainen going to be playing powerplay? I understood he's been playing in the preseason.

I asked that same question today and sure enough people sent me proof he is on 1st unit.Could not believe it because everything I read on the kid suggests offence is not his strong point yet.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I get being injury aware, but that's excessive considering last year was a fluke.

You're joking, right? Last year was a fluke? Then explain how the Bs were so depleted on D the year before last that they had to ice Tommy Cross in the playoffs.

Injuries are a given. They are certainly not "a fluke".

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
I calculate(d) overall player ratings based on relative plus/minus with significant factors of quality of competition and zone progress (and small bonus points for huge time-on-ice getters). it churns out numbers in the nineties for recognizable superstars, borderline passing grades for third- and fourth-liners... and the worst negative number I have seen in a decade of these on the Bruins for Tommy Cross. we do NOT want a Cross in the playoffs ever again. they are wise to hold one backup forward, two backup defensemen and a pile of good callups in waiting. you'd be surprised at how high Kampfer was rating before leaving town years ago. never Tommy Cross again.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Excited for Vaak. I was only able to watch one pre-season game this year but he showed some skill and poise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad