Prospect Info: Urho Vaakanainen

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Nice to hear all the positive views on Vaak!!!

That's why picks are so valuable. The more you have the bigger prospect pool and the better chance you have to strike it big. Although Vaak was a first, their always not guaranteed a spot or stardom just because they were selected as a first rnd pick especially when your drafting 18 yr olds.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Kluzak was a dominant/Tough top defenseman with a great future ahead of him until knee injury's occurred.

Myers not even close to what Gord was or would of been.

All due respect, I’ll beg to differ with you there

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I agree with this. Myers would love to skate like Carlo. Myers is more like Chara but not as good as Chara.

Carlo is more like a Brent Burns minus the offensive firepower, though a bit better at the defensive end.

In other words, he's nothing like Brent Burns, Norris Trophy winning Brent Burns. I can't believe you just compared Brandon Carlo to Brent Burns. Myers is closer to Burns (which isn't that close) than Carlo is. You just compared a stay at home defenseman to Brent Burns. I'm going to start drinking at 10:30 in the morning because of this post! WTF!!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
In other words, he's nothing like Brent Burns, Norris Trophy winning Brent Burns. I can't believe you just compared Brandon Carlo to Brent Burns. Myers is closer to Burns (which isn't that close) than Carlo is. You just compared a stay at home defenseman to Brent Burns. I'm going to start drinking at 10:30 in the morning because of this post! WTF!!

Did you just see the words Brent Burns compared to Brandon Carlo and freaked out? lol

I stated kind of like a Brent Burns without the offense but is a tad better defender. My interest in comparing Carlo to Burns only is their size (both 6'5) ,skating/agility, a bit of toughness

It is not easy to compare Carlo with many players in the NHL. How many 6'5 Ds do you know that skate and play like Carlo?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Urho Vaakainanen can play right now in the NHL Problem is who gets moved. It is always a good problem to have. Maybe not this year but Krug will be moved imo by next year as he approaches UFA status. Krug gonna get paid and Bruins cannot afford him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Did you just see the words Brent Burns compared to Brandon Carlo and freaked out? lol

I stated kind of like a Brent Burns without the offense but is a tad better defender. My interest in comparing Carlo to Burns only is their size (both 6'5) ,skating/agility, a bit of toughness

It is not easy to compare Carlo with many players in the NHL. How many 6'5 Ds do you know that skate and play like Carlo?
Bouwmeester is probably the closest. Maybe Parayko? I don't know really...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm just as excited as everyone for Urho, but I think a year in the AHL would be good for him. Could he play in the NHL now? sure, but unless there is a glaring need for him, let him develop and continue to get comfortable to the NHL size rinks. Loved his calmness with the puck and he always seem to make the smart/safe play.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I'm just as excited as everyone for Urho, but I think a year in the AHL would be good for him. Could he play in the NHL now? sure, but unless there is a glaring need for him, let him develop and continue to get comfortable to the NHL size rinks. Loved his calmness with the puck and he always seem to make the smart/safe play.

If he can play in the NHL now, I argue that it's better for his development if he plays against NHL competition.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Charlie gave us our Subban and Urho is gonna be our Josi. Say what you want about a few potential misses in the forward drafting department, but the Bruins are building one hell of a blueline.
Right on. A smooth skating, transition focused defense is the future of the league.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
If he can play in the NHL now, I argue that it's better for his development if he plays against NHL competition.

the problem is, he's not going to be playing because 7 other guys are clearly ahead
on the depth chart. it's a very nice start for him, and let's see his first 20 games in
the AHL - he'll learn a lot from leach and that staff.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Charlie gave us our Subban and Urho is gonna be our Josi. Say what you want about a few potential misses in the forward drafting department, but the Bruins are building one hell of a blueline.

Josi is a pretty damn good offensive defenseman. Seems like kind of the opposite of Urho in that regard. I do see the point where they're both calming players who excel with skating and can move the puck.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Give the boy some time in the AHL, let him develop.

There are always injuries and if someone goes down bring up the kid or Zboril.

Chara will be older this year, give him a few games off, (back to backs) and put the kids in slowly getting their feet wet.

Reactions: LouJersey

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
the problem is, he's not going to be playing because 7 other guys are clearly ahead
on the depth chart. it's a very nice start for him, and let's see his first 20 games in
the AHL - he'll learn a lot from leach and that staff.

I thought that was the whole reason everyone defended signing John Moore, insurance if a kid wasn't ready, and if they were, then we could move on from him.

Well, if Vaak is ready then I'm all for Moore getting some popcorn in the pressbox.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I thought that was the whole reason everyone defended signing John Moore, insurance if a kid wasn't ready.

i haven't followed those discussions. pretty sure sweeney isn't gonna sign a guy for 5 years
as insurance, but that's another story. even if moore wasn't here, i still don't think UV
makes the team right now as the #7 guy. him having a solid camp after sweeney said
he looked unprepared at rookie camp is important - now you can make a better case for
penciling him in as a potential regular next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad