TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If we get Gord Miller or Chris Cuthbert, this is great. If we get Rod Black, it's RDS for me!

Used to like Gord, but his 'over the top' screaming at the world juniors has ruined it for me.. however anything is better than Sportsnet.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Mike Johnsom returned to TSN yesterday, I hope this means he will do colour for Habs games again. I always thought it was a mistake for SN to let him go, he was one of their better colour commentary guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mike Johnsom returned to TSN yesterday, I hope this means he will do colour for Habs games again. I always thought it was a mistake for SN to let him go, he was one of their better colour commentary guys.

Agreed. He was certainly less bias when broadcasting and reporting. Some of those guys on SN were extremely bias IMO! Better to watch the games in french even if you don't understand the language. haha

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Great, I dont have sportsnet anyway, I was watching the games on TVAsports, what I wont do anymore!! :yo:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Great, I dont have sportsnet anyway, I was watching the games on TVAsports, what I wont do anymore!! :yo:

TSN having the rights has no bearing on TVA Sports. TSN will show weekday games (the ones RDS are showing). Sportsnet and TVA Sports will air Saturday night games.

Exceptions to that: Sportsnet will also get some Wednesday and Sunday games.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
TSN having the rights has no bearing on TVA Sports. TSN will show weekday games (the ones RDS are showing). Sportsnet and TVA Sports will air Saturday night games.

Exceptions to that: Sportsnet will also get some Wednesday and Sunday games.

Yea, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday are Sportsnet's national broadcasts.

Wednesday Night Hockey, Hockey Night in Canada, and Rogers Hometown Hockey.

But I don't know if they'll treat this the way they do with the French media. TVA Sports basically only has Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. Every other day (including some Sundays) are RDS.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I really wish we got halfway decent announcers during the playoffs. English or French, whatever, but having to listen to Garry Galley and Paul Romanuk talking about putting checkmarks in physicality boxes every stoppage of play was terrible.

TVA Sports has been unwatchable since day one.

Oh well, maybe in another decade..

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Can someone tell me what this means for a Rogers subscriber in Leafs region? Was gonna just get gamecenter, but if I can watch all the games on TSN that would be cheaper I imagine.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Can someone tell me what this means for a Rogers subscriber in Leafs region? Was gonna just get gamecenter, but if I can watch all the games on TSN that would be cheaper I imagine.

I'm almost certain that you will be blacked out if you try to watch the games on tsn as an out of market viewer.

Did game center only show Roger's broadcasts in the past?

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I'm almost certain that you will be blacked out if you try to watch the games on tsn as an out of market viewer.

No . So who do we get for play by play guy ?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Last year I watched the games as part of the Super Sports Pack, but with Rogers losing Sunday Ticket to dazn, I was going to do Gamecenter this year.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I really wish we got halfway decent announcers during the playoffs. English or French, whatever, but having to listen to Garry Galley and Paul Romanuk talking about putting checkmarks in physicality boxes every stoppage of play was terrible.

Agree. Galley and Paul are just awful, very cringeworthy. Jason York was like nails on a chalk board.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Agree. Galley and Paul are just awful, very cringeworthy. Jason York was like nails on a chalk board.

I didn't find York that bad, mainly because I didn't like any of the options that SN has. I wish SN would try hiring some newly retired NHLers for color commentary. There's a new batch of retired nhlers who can better relate to the game. With all due respect to Craig Simpson, Jason York and Gary Galley, the game has changed a lot since they were in the league, a refresher perspective wouldn't be that bad to have.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I remember cringing at the checklist and how they would keep going back to it. Some of the aspects on the list were pretty generic or useless if I remember correctly.

Romanuk was someone I had hopes for when he came back but he tries too hard to create sound bites or "iconic moments". A big moment doesn't require a play by play guy to place more emphasis on it by using dramatic words.

There's a good video comparing Gord Miller's call of the Habs game 2 goals and Romanuk' s and it's night and day between the two.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Lets not forget John Bartlett and his over pronunciation of a visiting players name. Jason York seems lost or suffering from post concussion issues. Give me a grumpy Ray keepin it real Ferraro and Chris Cuthbert, my dream duo and Mike Johnson as well.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Lets not forget John Bartlett and his over pronunciation of a visiting players name. Jason York seems lost or suffering from post concussion issues. Give me a grumpy Ray keepin it real Ferraro and Chris Cuthbert, my dream duo and Mike Johnson as well.

Jason York stating the obvious whenever possible, he's an absolute tool.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If it ends up like how TSN treats the Senators regional games, then there isn't going to just be one dedicated team like Sportsnet did. It could be Miller most of the time but sometimes it might be Cuthbert. They have a number of teams now in their local contracts, so they will schedule them up and you get who you get. They always do a good job however. TSN seems to treat regional broadcasts as if they are national broadcasts (like how they used to do them) that are just visible to part of the country - there isn't that local broadcast team that is closely connected to the team and the city.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Do we know if there will still be a Habs only choice for NHL Centre Ice? I had to stream a lot of games last year and I don't feel like doing it again.

Edit: Yes, just looked it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad