TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
In Ottawa we've been lucky with games on Rogers. Will this change anything for us do you think?

I'm don't mind the Sportsnet broadcast. The regional ones are easier to take than the national ones. It's like the more Rogers tries, the worse they do.

We should get the same games but depends on your cable package. Sportsnet will still have all the national games. Habs regional games will no longer be on Sportsnet but will be on TSN. Sens will still be on TSN. You'll need to have TSN5 plus whatever overflow channel is used in case both teams have games at the same time. Habs are popular enough in Ottawa that cable systems should definitely be carrying it (the overflow channel). I imagine more details will be coming out closer to the new season.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Thunder Bay falls into the regional territory of Winnipeg and Toronto, so it makes sense that you could see the Jets and leafs. I'm not sure how you were able to see sens games in your region though. They should be blacked out if they were regional sens telecasts.

Hmm ok thanks for the info. So I guess Habs games on TSN will be blacked out for me as well. The funny thing is I had access to what felt like a ton of games with two american teams on Sportsnet but I never got to watch the Habs. Kind of a dumb system really

RandR

May 15, 2011
I like the move to TSN for 2 reasons:

1. I think TSN has better panelists.

2. We have Bell Fibe, so since TSN is owned by Bell if I don't get home until well after the game has started I can rewind it to watch from the beginning of a game or period. (The Restart feature, which includes rewinding to before when you start watching a channel, only applies to certain channels, and Sportsnet will never be one of them.)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can anyone tell an Albertan Canadiens fan what this means to me? Can I cancel Centre Ice?

No you can't. RDS won't have coast to coast Habs broadcasting rights anymore now that TVA Sports is here.

RDS will be subject to the same regional blackouts as TSN which means Habs games will be blacked out for anyone not within the "Habs region".

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Man it's 2017. There should be an option to pay a lump sum and just have every single game from that team. These TV rights are a joke and just cause problems.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Man it's 2017. There should be an option to pay a lump sum and just have every single game from that team. These TV rights are a joke and just cause problems.

Amen.

Regardless of which service provider, I should be able to call them up and say I want all 82 Hab games, get a price and be done in 2 minutes.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I honestly liked SN's regional intermission coverage of the Habs last season. I thought they came a long way from when the regional deal came in. However I am very excited for this deal because of two main factors:

1) Production quality: TSN has much better production quality
2) Play by Play: With all do respect to Bartlett who I like, to get Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert is huge. I don't pay too much attention to pre game and intermission shows, so play by play is very important to my viewing experience and to get two of the best guys in the business is fantastic.

Just look at the two different goal calls between Miller and Romanuk, it is quite noticeable

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
This would be great. Everything about TSN is better. Production quality, picture quality, sound quality

I am very excited for this deal because of two main factors:

1) Production quality: TSN has much better production quality

EXACTLY! Man the quality of playoff broadcasts with Rogers is atrocious. It's like they have one microphone in the entire arena hanging from the scoreboard, and their most "innovative" camera angle was that stupid skycam that lasted a couple months. TSN/Bell/CBC (the pre-Rogers CBC) just know how to broadcast a hockey game.

The prospect of Miller/Ferraro and those guys is great, too, but I mostly just care about the quality of visual/audio presentation.

Preach. I bet we'll get there pretty soon.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

I hear you, it's how they sell Centre Ice, but the joke is on them. Crappy team, no Centre Ice for me. I can get as much boredom twittling my thumbs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Please get rid of these TVA Spanre ass clowns. I'm assuming this is real and not shooped ... Preds against Sens in the finals, huh?

Hockey30-2017-06-03-a-16.36.17.png

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well the CRTC and cable companies can **** right off.

My best option was to add a French Sports package to get RDS and TVA which is $5 a month. Great!

Nope, sorry. You have basic cable. In order to add a theme pack, you need a better cable package. So in the end I'd be paying $25+ more a month to get Habs games which were free before.

**** you Bell, **** you Rogers.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Well the CRTC and cable companies can **** right off.

My best option was to add a French Sports package to get RDS and TVA which is $5 a month. Great!

Nope, sorry. You have basic cable. In order to add a theme pack, you need a better cable package. So in the end I'd be paying $25+ more a month to get Habs games which were free before.

**** you Bell, **** you Rogers.

Your opinions throughout this thread are about as clueless as ones can be. Yes, we've all been enjoying a glorious loophole (RDS being the only French specialty sports channel in Canada) for years. But it's shut closed now.

Welcome to capitalism - a world where everyone wants to profit.

P.S. Blame your beloved league (the NHL and the Habs specifically) for being blacked out. Not Rogers, Bell or any other TV providers.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Your opinions throughout this thread are about as clueless as ones can be. Yes, we've all been enjoying a glorious loophole (RDS being the only French specialty sports channel in Canada) for years. But it's shut closed now.

Welcome to capitalism - a world where everyone wants to profit.

P.S. Blame your beloved league (the NHL and the Habs specifically) for being blacked out. Not Rogers, Bell or any other TV providers.

So you're attacking me because I won't be able to watch games without spending an arm and a leg?

Ladies and gentlemen, the first person in the world to side with Canadian TV providers. [mod]

The problem here is the CRTC. They said "hey customers are pissed because cable TV is expensive. You need to give an actual basic package that is affordable." What do they do? They make a basic cable package that is still expensive with no ability to customize at all. If you want customization, you need to order the package above. Very smart when cable TV is dying, they know the money is with internet. So they charge even more for internet access, we are rated third world as a country in terms of internet prices and speeds. It's pathetic. Smaller ISPs pop up, along with phone providers, and the duopoly of Bell and Rogers eat all of them up.

So yeah, the CRTC is the problem because they are having their pockets filled by those two companies who wreck havoc on consumers. But "too bad it's capitalism" right?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So you're attacking me because I won't be able to watch games without spending an arm and a leg?

Ladies and gentlemen, the first person in the world to side with Canadian TV providers. You're probably just a Mélanie Joly fanboy. At the very least it reeks of white male Anglo privilege when someone says "Well that's capitalism, too bad."

The problem here is the CRTC. They said "hey customers are pissed because cable TV is expensive. You need to give an actual basic package that is affordable." What do they do? They make a basic cable package that is still expensive with no ability to customize at all. If you want customization, you need to order the package above. Very smart when cable TV is dying, they know the money is with internet. So they charge even more for internet access, we are rated third world as a country in terms of internet prices and speeds. It's pathetic. Smaller ISPs pop up, along with phone providers, and the duopoly of Bell and Rogers eat all of them up.

So yeah, the CRTC is the problem because they are having their pockets filled by those two companies who wreck havoc on consumers. But "too bad it's capitalism" right?

Firstly, I'm not attacking you personally, I'm merely disputing your opinions presented in this thread.

[mod]

Lastly, you shift this conversation toward something broader than I had originally argued (even if, admittedly, I blurred the line more than I should've). Sure, we can talk CRTC versus the industry too, specifically about how much better this entity has done under Blais after decades of sheer ineptitude, but my intended focus was on the NHL and how the league mandates blackouts to protect its teams' regional interests. It is dinosaur, I actually agree, but what I wanted to point out to you was that, no matter how much anger is directed toward TV carriers, it isn't them that have any stake in blacking you or anyone else out. In fact, they'd love nothing more than to show you every game they can.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007

2) Play by Play: With all do respect to Bartlett who I like, to get Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert is huge. I don't pay too much attention to pre game and intermission shows, so play by play is very important to my viewing experience and to get two of the best guys in the business is fantastic.

Just look at the two different goal calls between Miller and Romanuk, it is quite noticeable

The irony with Romanuk and Miller is that before TSN lost to Sportsnet the first time (1998) Romanuk was #2 behind Hughson at TSN. Miller was lower.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If TSN approaches it like they have done with the Sens, they will not assign one regular team like they have with Bartlett and York who are dedicated to the team. They almost treat it like a national broadcast that just part of the country can see. There might be some guys who are there most often, but they will assign whoever is available and it could change from game to game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The question now is how many games is tsn committing to? Will it still be possible to watch all habs games in English?

I think so. I believe it's just like the French rights. TVA Sports have national broadcasts while RDS have every other game. All 82 games are broadcast between them. I would think the same goes for the English rights

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think so. I believe it's just like the French rights. TVA Sports have national broadcasts while RDS have every other game. All 82 games are broadcast between them. I would think the same goes for the English rights

Wonder what happens when scheduling conflicts arise between OTT & MTL on TSN5.

TSN-Habs all over again? Last go around the channel wasn't available with Videotron.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Wonder what happens when scheduling conflicts arise between OTT & MTL on TSN5.

TSN-Habs all over again? Last go around the channel wasn't available with Videotron.

I can't see the Habs and Sens sharing TSN5 and both will have separate channels IMO. I can't remember if TSN aired regional Leaf games last season but I remember both the Sens and Jets were on TSN and both had separate channels.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I can't see the Habs and Sens sharing TSN5 and both will have separate channels IMO. I can't remember if TSN aired regional Leaf games last season but I remember both the Sens and Jets were on TSN and both had separate channels.

Thing is the Sens and Jets are in different regional regions so they would have separate channels. What makes this interesting is the Habs and Sens have the same TV region so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad