TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Can anyone tell an Albertan Canadiens fan what this means to me? Can I cancel Centre Ice?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd sure be happy with that. The Sportsnet monopoly hasn't improved my viewing experience one iota.

Can anyone tell an Albertan Canadiens fan what this means to me? Can I cancel Centre Ice?

''Because it is strictly a regional telecast, viewers outside the East region — Eastern Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces — will see fewer games. Sportsnet had the ability to televise some mid-week games on a national basis. ''

Might be a good idea to keep your center ice subscription for now.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
prefer TSN but we better still get all the habs games on the east coast

We will get all of the ones that are not nationally televised, it will be similar to RDS coverage of the habs, we get most of the Senators regional broadcasts on TSN so the habs will be no different. The habs biggest audience outside of Quebec is probably the maritimes. Montreal Boston and Toronto, the most popular teams in Atlantic Canada, we don't really enjoy other games as much as we do seeing Montreal vs Toronto or Boston.:)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The games will be on CI regardless of who broadcasts it. Centre Ice belongs to the NHL and their deal includes access to all broadcast games for out of region games.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The games will be on CI regardless of who broadcasts it. Centre Ice belongs to the NHL and their deal includes access to all broadcast games for out of region games.

This is not true. Have buddies who are suffering due to the TSN rights for Leafs games in western Canada. It doesn't affect every game, but the blackouts are definitely there.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Won't change much. I watch the weekday games on RDS and the weekend games in English since TVA is terrible. The weekend games will remain on HNIC (SNet, City, CBC).

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This is not true. Have buddies who are suffering due to the TSN rights for Leafs games in western Canada. It doesn't affect every game, but the blackouts are definitely there.

I get all out of region games in Calgary. Calgary and Edmonton games I watch on the regional broadcasts.

It's likely that it's the provider who is limiting games if they're out of region. The NHL gets them all. Games available in local regional broadcasts are never on CI in that particular region.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
TVA Sports is not disappearing. All this will do is make you decide between TSN and RDS for weekday games. Saturday night games will still be on TVA or HNIC.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I get all out of region games in Calgary. Calgary and Edmonton games I watch on the regional broadcasts.

It's likely that it's the provider who is limiting games if they're out of region. The NHL gets them all. Games available in local regional broadcasts are never on CI in that particular region.

That was before this change.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That was before this change.

I'll still get Alberta games on regional networks. All the rest (that are broadcast) will be on CI. I'm pretty sure TSN carried some regional games this year. They did last season for certain, and I got all the out of my region games on CI.

If TSN will carry the Habs home games, one would still have to subscribe to that Eastern TSN station. As usual all the away games will be on CI, unless they're broadcast locally. Maybe this is where the confusion lies?

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Ahh this sucks for me. Blackouts. No good for anyone.

Yep.. for a reason I don't understand I had all the Games last year on Sportsnet East even if they were supposed to be blacked out. I doubt ill get the Habs regional TSN Feed since i can't see the Jets games. I live in northern Ontario.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This means less games broadcasted on TV outside of Quebec. TSN English contract is mainly regional. Nothing changes for TVA and RDS

Also, didn't realize Bell has ownership share in the Habs. This gave them rights to match any regional deal by anyone else (sportsnet). Apparently, they passed up this right 3 years ago. Something else I heard was RDS was paying $1M per game as well. The regional English contract is much less (what I read anyways)

Last edited:

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
I hope this starts the beginning of the end of the Rogers Contract lol Either they get out somehow or Let TSN buy in for a certain amount . Its a real shame that TSN has the best Announcers and Panels by MILES and we are subject to Sportsnet =(

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
This means less games broadcasted on TV outside of Quebec. TSN English contract is mainly regional. Nothing changes for TVA and RDS

Also, didn't realize Bell has ownership share in the Habs. This gave them rights to match any regional deal by anyone else (sportsnet). Apparently, they passed up this right 3 years ago. Something else I heard was RDS was paying $1M per game as well. The regional English contract is much less (what I read anyways)

RDS is paying $65M.

Imagine that. That's 60% of the Habs' team salary. Paid by its regional TV rights.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
TVA is unbearable, but I think SN is doing a fine job. Don't see a huge difference with TSN, to be honest.

Better panel quality on TSN for intermissions, I suppose, but I usually do something else during the intermissions, so that doesn't bother me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad