TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
We're going to get Romanuk or Randorf with Reid or Hnidy, I can feel it. Although having Cuthbert and TSN hiring back Johnson to do MTL games would be a dream. That or Miller and Ferrero.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We're going to get Romanuk or Randorf with Reid or Hnidy, I can feel it. Although having Cuthbert and TSN hiring back Johnson to do MTL games would be a dream. That or Miller and Ferrero.

Romanuk is with Sportsnet, so thankfully it wouldn't be him.

I remember Dave Reid used to do the Habs games a couple years back and he was pretty good.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
So I live near Thunder Bay and I have Bell ExpressVu.

I have Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific.

The only games I'd get to see on Sportsnet were national broadcasts or the Leafs on Sportsnet Ontario. Habs, Oilers, Flames and Canucks regional games were always blacked out.

I also have TSN1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. (maybe only 4 but I think 5)

Leafs, Jets and Senators games were never blacked out for me. Is this because TSN's stations aren't considered "regional" but rather just numbered? Or am I considered as being in the 'home market' of the Leafs, Jets AND Sens?

If it's the former, this is great news, if it's the latter, well, I couldn't care less.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
so here is a question from southwestern Ontario:

I have cogeco, which offers a french channel package with RDS and before the SN deal I used to get all the Habs games for free. Since the SN deal, cogeco offers me all the habs games in French for $60/year as RDS is blacked out during games. if TSN get the regional right again, does this mean that the RDS regular broadcast wont be black out anymore and I can watch the games on RDS as I did before?

edit: I know this is English regional rights, but since its same parent company was just curious if that would end the blackouts for RDS outside of Quebec as before when Bell/TSN had the rights.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So does that mean in Ottawa I would get all (except national) broadcast games if I get RDS? I know things go awry when you get further West but I think I'm in the proper region.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Wait i need a confirmation from anyone

does that mean

-TVA **** sports
+RDS

im about to slap Felix Seguin and Patrick Lalime

cant stand them anymore

Nope. This does not change a thing. TVA Sports will not show less games because of this deal. All this does is take the weekday games from Sportsnet East to TSN 5.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
So does that mean in Ottawa I would get all (except national) broadcast games if I get RDS? I know things go awry when you get further West but I think I'm in the proper region.

As of right now, the territorial rights are exactly the same so if you were getting habs games on RDS last year within your region, then you will continue to get them this year.

This only affects English broadcasts. Since Rogers had the English habs rights, you could watch the whole season in English without having to tune into French. That may not be the case anymore depending upon whether tsn only picks a handful of games (which they have traditionally done with habs rights) or whether they want to pick up every possible regional game.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
So I live near Thunder Bay and I have Bell ExpressVu.

I have Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific.

The only games I'd get to see on Sportsnet were national broadcasts or the Leafs on Sportsnet Ontario. Habs, Oilers, Flames and Canucks regional games were always blacked out.

I also have TSN1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. (maybe only 4 but I think 5)

Leafs, Jets and Senators games were never blacked out for me. Is this because TSN's stations aren't considered "regional" but rather just numbered? Or am I considered as being in the 'home market' of the Leafs, Jets AND Sens?

If it's the former, this is great news, if it's the latter, well, I couldn't care less.

Thunder Bay falls into the regional territory of Winnipeg and Toronto, so it makes sense that you could see the Jets and leafs. I'm not sure how you were able to see sens games in your region though. They should be blacked out if they were regional sens telecasts.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I get free GameCenter along with my Rogers package. Here in southern Ontario every game was blacked out that was on TSN whether it was the Sens or the Leafs. Hopefully this wont be the case with Habs games.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I get free GameCenter along with my Rogers package. Here in southern Ontario every game was blacked out that was on TSN whether it was the Sens or the Leafs. Hopefully this wont be the case with Habs games.

I'm quite certain changing broadcasters won't affect the current blackouts. They're geographical, not arbitrary.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Bartlett and York weren't bad but getting Miller and Ferraro would be amazing..

I thought they were horrible I could barely stand them.
Like others I streamed a large number of the Habs games.
Then the local broadcasts had the Leafs more often than not...

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I never watch Habs hockey in English so this news does nothing for me.

Couldn't care less who announces the games... No one beats Pierre Houde!

Even if a Habs game is telecast in English while it's also telecast in French, I watch the game in French 100% of the time.

Just doesn't feel right to watch Habs in English. I mean how can you top Et le buuuut!

And I watch very little French television... very very little! Come to think of it, I only watch hockey in French and anti-chambre for the comedy!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This would be great. Everything about TSN is better. Production quality, picture quality, sound quality, announcers, intermission hosts, everything!

I assume this means no Sens on TSN since it's the same region?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
This would be great. Everything about TSN is better. Production quality, picture quality, sound quality, announcers, intermission hosts, everything!

I assume this means no Sens on TSN since it's the same region?

No, the Sens contract on TSN lasts for quite a while yet. There will probably be some overflow channel when both teams have games that would normally be on TSN5.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
No, the Sens contract on TSN lasts for quite a while yet. There will probably be some overflow channel when both teams have games that would normally be on TSN5.

In Ottawa we've been lucky with games on Rogers. Will this change anything for us do you think?

I'm don't mind the Sportsnet broadcast. The regional ones are easier to take than the national ones. It's like the more Rogers tries, the worse they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->