Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He just needs 1 more goal to finish at a pro rated 40 goal pace. Pacioretty was the last person to make that feat In 2013-14

Gionta was also on 40 plus goal pace with the habs in his first year. He played around 60 games that year if I'm not mistaken. The next season, he scored close to 30

He also was around the same age range of toffoli when he did it.

BergevinsOnlyFan

Jan 2, 2021
He'd be on pace for a 46+ goal pace over 82 games.

Hopefully next year he can continue to score the way he has this year as I think he can hit 40 if he stays healthy.
I hope your right but I would be more than thrilled if he can get 30 this is really the first year where he has scored this much in his entire career so I don't want to get my hopes up

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The best thing about Toffoli, it's about his age... he can play very well another 5 years. It's going to be a amazing veteran for this team. Great two-way ability, smart guy and goal scoring touch.

that's impossible to know. He'll be 29 for most of next season but he's already a slow player, who's to say how he will be at age 32, 33. When a player's game just drops off, it's tough to say when that will happen, but it will happen at some point.

Reactions: Andy

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The best thing about Toffoli, it's about his age... he can play very well another 5 years. It's going to be a amazing veteran for this team. Great two-way ability, smart guy and goal scoring touch.
It's proven fact that players start dropping off around 27, definitely after 30.

this may be peak season for Tyler.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gionta was also on 40 plus goal pace with the habs in his first year. He played around 60 games that year if I'm not mistaken. The next season, he scored close to 30

He also was around the same age range of toffoli when he did it.

Including the playoffs, Gionta scored 37 goals in 80 games his first year with us, at the age of 30/31.
The next year, at the age of 31/32 (turned 32 in January of that season) he scored 29.

Toffoli will be 31/32 (turn 32 in april) of the the last year of his 4 year contract. He started this year as a 28 year old and just turned 29.

So if Toffoli follows Gionta in terms of declining after his 31/32 season, i.e. when he's 32/33, it will be the year after his current 4 year contract.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Including the playoffs, Gionta scored 37 goals in 80 games his first year with us, at the age of 30/31.
The next year, at the age of 31/32 (turned 32 in January of that season) he scored 29.

Toffoli will be 31/32 (turn 32 in april) of the the last year of his 4 year contract. He started this year as a 28 year old and just turned 29.

So if Toffoli follows Gionta in terms of declining after his 31/32 season, i.e. when he's 32/33, it will be the year after his current 4 year contract.

While Gionta scored 29 goals in his 2nd season with us you could clearly see the decline. He was given lot of TOI that year and his performance was not bad but certainly not great. He was playing close to 20 minutes a game and did 46 points in 82 games which is kind of not very good for this TOI.

Toffoli will do well for us over his contract and this is a good contract. But expecting another Ovechkin like season next year is setting the expectation too high.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
While Gionta scored 29 goals in his 2nd season with us you could clearly see the decline. He was given lot of TOI that year and his performance was not bad but certainly not great. He was playing close to 20 minutes a game and did 46 points in 82 games which is kind of not very good for this TOI.

Toffoli will do well for us over his contract and this is a good contract. But expecting another Ovechkin like season next year is setting the expectation too high.

Every player is different, in terms of when they decline. We will see who Toffoli is over the next 3 years.

It's encouraging that not only are his numbers up this year, but also last year in Vancouver. I.e. his numbers are up ever since he left LA. I.e. what we've seen the last two years may be more the real Toffoli than we saw in the LA system. But we'll just have to wait and see. It's too small of a sample size for me to make trustworthy projections.

I also like that he should have good players to play with (Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, and KK). And, I hope we either keep Danault and Tatar, or replace them with players that are as good or better offensively - i.e. not Lehkonen and Byrons.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think the key with Toffoli is to see if he keeps this up when playing a wider range of teams next year.

It's a phenomenal season, but we need to be careful about expectations next year if the habs play more than just the same 6 teams.

Setting up unreasonable expectations will just result in disappointment.

BergevinsOnlyFan

Jan 2, 2021
I think the key with Toffoli is to see if he keeps this up when playing a wider range of teams next year.

It's a phenomenal season, but we need to be careful about expectations next year if the habs play more than just the same 6 teams.

If we play a wider range of teams that is, honestly I could see this covid bs go on again next season

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
that's impossible to know. He'll be 29 for most of next season but he's already a slow player, who's to say how he will be at age 32, 33. When a player's game just drops off, it's tough to say when that will happen, but it will happen at some point.

Could be worse, his whole game could be based around skating. The likes of Scorey Perry and even a much older Kovalchuk show us that IQ, hands and shot don't fade as fast.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Toffoli will be responsible for a lot of jersey sales over the next few years. He’s having a career year but given his style of play it actually looks sustainable. He relies on his IQ and shot, like a sniper version of suzuki. He was stifled by the defensive system in LA, now he can finally spread his wings.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I love this guy. The way his game revolves around IQ kind of reminds me of Stone, though he's a goal scorer rather than an incredible playmaker. Amazing signing by MB. And just awful by Benning to have let this guy go. Don't know what the Canucks were thinking.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Expect 25 goals. Very reasonable to expect this. Anything more is gravy.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I Was Meant To Be a Hab | By Tyler Toffoli

What an anazing interview. This has to get you pumped for playoffs!

And as mad as I was for the Habs beating the Pens last year in the bubble and losing our shot at Lafreniere, I guess that’s a silver lining that Suzy impressed Toffoli so much that he wanted to sign here. :)
Great interview. I always liked the guy but never watched him close. After watching every game this year, what am incredibly smart player. Him, Suzy and Caufield will be absolute magic next year. 3 gifted offensive minds

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Fantastic article everyone should read. Suzuki helping to attract talent even as a rookie!

"I had been watching a lot of games during my time in the bubble in Edmonton because there wasn’t a whole to do and one of the guys who kept catching my eye? Nick Suzuki. I’m serious. I didn’t get to see a whole lot of him while I was playing on the West Coast. But watching him against the Pens … I was just like, Man, I want to play on this guy’s line one day."

:yo: :yo: :yo:

....nah, those playins and playoffs were all for NOTHING. Muh' Marco Rossi. :sarcasm:

Reactions: sharks9

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Loved the article. Part about Caufield cracked me up, and reasured me at the same time. Hope Taffoli stays in Montreal for a long time.
Oh he’s not going anywhere.

We’ve got a really great core up front right now, funny thing is they are all right handed shots! Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson, Gallagher, Caufield...

Reactions: Roadhouse

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

And as mad as I was for the Habs beating the Pens last year in the bubble and losing our shot at Lafreniere, I guess that’s a silver lining that Suzy impressed Toffoli so much that he wanted to sign here. :)

thanks for posting that, indeed an amazing interview. What a great move by MB to get him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh he’s not going anywhere.

We’ve got a really great core up front right now, funny thing is they are all right handed shots! Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson, Gallagher, Caufield...

Some really good pieces...

With no superstars theree, we need to add more players of this caliber if we want to compete. Too bad KK hasn't taken the next step yet, Drouin has proven to be a 4th liner, Tatar has dropped off (though maybe he'll be revived when Gallagher comes back and maybe he's still a good top 9 piece as a complimentary piece to Gallagher. Same with Danault)...

It remains to be seen how great Anderson is. I hope he finds his niche and role and at least comes close to earning his contract...

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal

With no superstars theree, we need to add more players of this caliber if we want to compete. Too bad KK hasn't taken the next step yet, Drouin has proven to be a 4th liner, Tatar has dropped off (though maybe he'll be revived when Gallagher comes back and maybe he's still a good top 9 piece as a complimentary piece to Gallagher. Same with Danault)...

It remains to be seen how great Anderson is. I hope he finds his niche and role and at least comes close to earning his contract...
Tatar is the odd man out for the playoffs if you want Cofield in.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Ya all the lefty shots, KK, Tatar, Drouin, Danault... all had really tough years. Our top 9 could be quite good if those guys could somehow return to form.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

That's not an interview, it's an opinion piece.

I don't understand how it's not getting its own thread for more visibility. It's really a nice piece. I'm sure someone helped him but it's well written.

And it gives me a few more confidence points that we can beat the Leafs.

Reactions: Just Linda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad