Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is already pacing for 50+ points as a 21 year old. He’s going to improve and so will KK.

Very difficult to contend with what suzi and KK are this year, understandably.

Yes they will improve. But we don't know when they'll get to the next level.

Reactions: montreal

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Suzuki will be 65+ next year. I think if he’s healthy he’ll do 70.

KK will be 50 unless Caufield is the star we all hope he is. If that happens then KK will also be 60+

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Man I get pissed at work knowing another employee is making more than me even if it’s 5 k and I feel like I’m worth more

I can only imagine if I was him :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

What's the alternative?

This will pay off in 2-3 years...they are 21 and 20.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What's the alternative?

This will pay off in 2-3 years...they are 21 and 20.

I was just saying we need 1 more top 9 forward. And he was saying if we fix the defense we'll be fine...

Reactions: 417

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The best you can hope for is that these guys have a bubble type performance if the team makes the playoffs.

I think the game plan this year was based alot on what we saw in the bubble. Suzuki carried it over to this season for a while, but he's clearly not consistent enough yet to take it to the next level.

I've seen improvements in KKs consistency, and maybe he will be that physical force again in the playoffs. He has toned that element down this year, because you can't play like that all year, but he could ramp it up again. This season has been good for him in the sense that you can see more and more that he's going to be a heck of a player as he continues to mature.

I was hoping for more out of these guys particularly because there is a better supporting cast on the wings this year, but all it takes is hitting your peak at the right time, and the dynamics can change pretty quick.

If this team is to make noise, it's going to be a similar recipe to the bubble. They need Price to find that level again, as well as Suzuki and KK. That will help mask some of the defensive zone issues, which I don't think there is a realistic solution for.

It's hard to keep an even keel on young players, because their play is so volatile, and I get caught up in that trap too, but based on what I'm seeing now, I feel like KK will be a consistent beast, and it's just a matter of time. As for Suzuki, I'm not quite sure. Hes talented enough for sure, and that alone makes him a safe bet for top 6. However, I'm not sure his game translates to one where he will be consistent enough to reach another level past your prototypical top 6 guy. His swings have been even wilder than KK IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bump for the 5th top NHL scorer. Tied now with Ovechkin.

He's a keeper. In addition to being a great finisher, he's a smart player, which makes up for his lack of footspeed.

We have 5 of 6 good top 9 wingers in the stable: Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield, and Tatar. Gotta hope Suzuki, KK, or Poehling can get to the next level offensively in the NHL.

Reactions: LeHab

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki will be 65+ next year. I think if he’s healthy he’ll do 70.

KK will be 50 unless Caufield is the star we all hope he is. If that happens then KK will also be 60+

One can hope, but it's very hard to predict.

Suzuki will continue to get better, but by how much is the question. In his first two years, he has disappeared offensively for some significant stretches, which is totally normal, but alot of guys just never reach that level of consistency that you hope for even if we assume it's just a matter of time .

I hope suzuki doesn't become one of those guys, because the habs really need him and KK to take some significant strides in order to be competitive. I'm actually more bullish on KK than Suzuki in the big picture, but let's see what happens.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One can hope, but it's very hard to predict.

Suzuki will continue to get better, but by how much is the question. In his first two years, he has disappeared offensively for some significant stretches, which is totally normal, but alot of guys just never reach that level of consistency that you hope for even if we assume it's just a matter of time .

I hope suzuki doesn't become one of those guys, because the habs really need him and KK to take some significant strides in order to be competitive. I'm actually more bullish on KK than Suzuki in the big picture, but let's see what happens.
Expectations on Suzuki coming into this year were too high. I said so at the beginning and it's what we've seen. He's pacing for 18 goals and 50 points. That's about where Huberdeau was at that age. It's where Nathan Mackinnon was...

I'm not for a minute suggesting that he'll be as good as those guys. They're simply there for perspective. Mackinnon put up 97 in his following year and Huberdeau didn't really break out until he was 24 or 25. Players develop at different speeds but the point is that 50 points for a 21 year old player really isn't all that bad.

What we need to do is make things easier for these guys. Give them PP time and the best wingers. Keep Tofoli with Suzuki and I think it will be mutually beneficial.

And we badly need help on the backend. That will really help us. We need to stop handicapping our players with a terrible blueline.

Reactions: Andrei79

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-26_20-6-54.png

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Even the games where he doesn't score, he gets tons of chances.

All signs point to him being able to keep scoring.

It would honestly be hilarious if he just suddenly turned into a potato next year because he just does all the little things right. Such a complete player.

Reactions: LeHab

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It would honestly be hilarious if he just suddenly turned into a potato next year because he just does all the little things right. Such a complete player.

Toffoli is having a career season so far. Definitely not expecting this pace to continue next season. A 25-30g type of player is what I expect, anything more will be gravy.

On this - goal #25 of the season achievement unlocked. :thumbu:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Since leaving LAK, he's got 31 goals in 54 games. Pretty wild.

It really points to something in LA's system not bringing out the best in him.

I would love to see him score 40! But will take 30!

We could have four 30 goal scorers next year (Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, and Caufield).

Reactions: Andrei79

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It really points to something in LA's system not bringing out the best in him.

I would love to see him score 40! But will take 30!

We could have four 30 goal scorers next year (Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, and Caufield).

I heard somewhere he's scoring at a 47 goal pace this season. Too bad his career season just happens to be a Covid year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I like him, I don't think this pace is sustainable in a regular season. I'll be very interested to see what happens next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->