Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like Tofoli.... but man this guy is so f***ing slow...

For this is THE Problem with this team. We lost our speed.

The team wasn't good when it was fast either. It's ok having a slow guy like Toffoli in your top 6 because he's good at everything else.

What we really need are centers to get him the puck.

Having said that, I'd bring in a GM that will trade everyone over 25: Toffoli, Anderson, Petry, Price, Gallagher, Weber, Drouin. Tank and and rebuild.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The team wasn't good when it was fast either. It's ok having a slow guy like Toffoli in your top 6 because he's good at everything else.

What we really need are centers to get him the puck.

Having said that, I'd bring in a GM that will trade everyone over 25: Toffoli, Anderson, Petry, Price, Gallagher, Weber, Drouin. Tank and and rebuild.

It's a double whammy. The habs as a team aren't quick, and that will have to be addressed, but what makes them really slow is that they can't complete passes tape to tape in stride.

There are plenty of dmen and forwards who can't execute proper passes, or can't accept passes in stride.

Toffoli is stuck in this mess, but he can be an effective player. It's just hard to rate him with the other issues around him. He's limited right now to taking shots from far out off a rush.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Fair to say that he will never replicate this past season, like Domi and Tatar before him... From an all-star goalscorer to an average forward during the playoffs.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Fair to say that he will never replicate this past season, like Domi and Tatar before him... From an all-star goalscorer to an average forward during the playoffs.
He's scored at a 44g/82gp pace this season. Fair to say no one ever expected him to score like he did...

He always was a good 2nd liner and that's what he is. He needs speed around him and he's not getting it. Not his fault MB created a team full of slow players.

We used to be a small but fast talentless team. We're now a big and slow talentless team.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
he's a regular season stud, then when the paychecks stop rolling in.. he's MIA

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he's a regular season stud, then when the paychecks stop rolling in.. he's MIA

The whole team isn't scoring goals as a unit. His function in the system is to finish plays. He's not a play driver.

But yeah, he's not a key piece. But I still think he's a good complimentary player, especially at his cap hit.

Just goes to show we need better offensively gifted players, play drivers.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Similar to when Pacioretty when he was here, Toffoli would be more effective in the playoffs if he was a secondary option and not being relied up as our main scoring threat.

In addition, both players were/are on bargain contracts in the $4M range for scoring 30 goals.. yet we don't have any legitimate first line offensive talent with the remaining 95% of cap space.

Reactions: azcanuck

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
0 in the playoffs.

The whole team play like miserable POS, yet people find ways to hit on Toffoli's lack of production.

He is the least of our problem. Period.

When we have defensemen that can move the puck forward effectively, when we have a decent coach that is not outcoached every shift, heck when we have a less than stupid GM that can make a solid 20-man unit for a change, if Toffoli is still not scoring THEN we can talk.

Reactions: Trash Man

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The whole team isn't scoring goals as a unit. His function in the system is to finish plays. He's not a play driver.

But yeah, he's not a key piece. But I still think he's a good complimentary player, especially at his cap hit.

Just goes to show we need better offensively gifted players, play drivers.

Yup , and goes back to coaching. Why can't Anderson score, or get to the open area? Why can't we cycle the puck all of a sudden? Why is there suddenly no forecheck? The team is all sad Tavares is hurt? Suddenly Gallagher can't generate anything? I'm sure Sportsnet will tell you its because the Leafs are so good, but any real fan knows thats bullshit. We have no gameplan in the offensive zone. OH AND IF I SEE THAT DROP-PASS ON THE PP ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO SMASH SHIT UP.

How on earth did Richardson keep his job? A garbage dman, with a garbage coaching history.. I don't get it.

whatevs

May 25, 2021
Really like Toffoli. He'd be an amazing guy to have on a second line on a contender. Scores 25 a year, 50-60 points.

But if he's your franchise player, you ain't winning anything, bruh.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
The whole team play like miserable POS, yet people find ways to hit on Toffoli's lack of production.

He is the least of our problem. Period.

When we have defensemen that can move the puck forward effectively, when we have a decent coach that is not outcoached every shift, heck when we have a less than stupid GM that can make a solid 20-man unit for a change, if Toffoli is still not scoring THEN we can talk.

have you seen the other threads lol, everyone is getting ripped, not just him. He still however didn’t have a good PO as of now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yup , and goes back to coaching. Why can't Anderson score, or get to the open area? Why can't we cycle the puck all of a sudden? Why is there suddenly no forecheck? The team is all sad Tavares is hurt? Suddenly Gallagher can't generate anything? I'm sure Sportsnet will tell you its because the Leafs are so good, but any real fan knows thats bullshit. We have no gameplan in the offensive zone. OH AND IF I SEE THAT DROP-PASS ON THE PP ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO SMASH SHIT UP.

How on earth did Richardson keep his job? A garbage dman, with a garbage coaching history.. I don't get it.

I do feel like we should be getting more out of this top 9:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Perry Kotkaniemi Anderson
Byron Staal Armia

It is a top 9 that relies on coming in waves. So that Gallagher hasn't been at 100% hurts us.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Just a classic toffoli goal last night…

toe drag, controller disconnected…. snipe

so satisfying

Reactions: Born in 1909

Jul 6, 2016
Toffoli was very good during the Playoffs last year with Vancouver, as well as during the SC years in L.A.

I got a feeling he is injured since a long time.

Jul 6, 2016
I do feel like we should be getting more out of this top 9:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Perry Kotkaniemi Anderson
Byron Staal Armia

It is a top 9 that relies on coming in waves. So that Gallagher hasn't been at 100% hurts us.

Tatar ? NO !

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Toffoli was very good during the Playoffs last year with Vancouver, as well as during the SC years in L.A.

I got a feeling he is injured since a long time.

Toffoli has never produced much offensively in the playoffs, as a matter of fact this is the highest ppg that he has yet to record.

He is smart and has the ability to remain dangerous enough to force the opposition to account for him but his style of play has never been overly conducive to generating impressive scoring totals in the post season.

I am not at all dumping on him as he is a valuable piece and has had some big playoff moments in his career but he really does not have the playoff history that some people seem to believe that he has.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Toffoli has never produced much offensively in the playoffs, as a matter of fact this is the highest ppg that he has yet to record.

He is smart and has the ability to remain dangerous enough to force the opposition to account for him but his style of play has never been overly conducive to generating impressive scoring totals in the post season.

I am not at all dumping on him as he is a valuable piece and has had some big playoff moments in his career but he really does not have the playoff history that some people seem to believe that he has.

You are expecting Gordie HOWE numbers from a guys we got for free at 4*4,25M$?

he is a bargain and he is performing better than anyone could of expected .

keep it up Toffo!!!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I like Tofoli.... but man this guy is so f***ing slow...

For me, this is THE Problem with this team. We lost our speed.
The problem with our team is a slow guy who scores more than anyone else? No. That's definitely not the problem lol

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

He was like... 21 on their cup run. And had 7 goals.

Don't be ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad