OT: Two Explosions @ Boston Marathon: Suspect #2 in Custody MOD WARNING IN OP

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I was certain that I had read that he was surrounded and the police were waiting for the sun to rise to go in, was he not there?

Not too sure about that; maybe it was a false alarm? All I know is that the entire city of Boston has been locked down, and they're still trying to find the guy.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
If anyone is bored, the thread on the Bruins board is surreal. Pages are going up as fast as any GDT I've seen. People have been up for almost 24 hours waiting to see what happens. Some interesting links too with pictures of the one dead guy and the huge gouge in is head.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
According to the press conference, the cops had him but the kid ditched his car and ran away from them.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
According to the press conference, the cops had him but the kid ditched his car and ran away from them.

was this right after the initial gunfight with police before the set up a good perimeter? Or did he manage to slip through the perimeter on foot?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Isn't that what Dorner did as well to escape? Strange that the cops wouldn't be able to pick some one up in these scenarios

These are American cops we're talking about...

hiding-behind-a-pole-fat-cop-hiding-behind-pole-demotivational-poster-1278398589.jpg

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If anyone is bored, the thread on the Bruins board is surreal. Pages are going up as fast as any GDT I've seen. People have been up for almost 24 hours waiting to see what happens. Some interesting links too with pictures of the one dead guy and the huge gouge in is head.

Link for the dead guy photo?

Edit: nvm. Found. Wow

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I'm surprised the guy didn't suicide. I know suiciding is against their religion but if he wanted he could of easily gotten the cops to shoot him.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
suspect in hospital for injury.........it not over until the motive comes out

Well, they are ethnic Chechens and Muslims born in Chechnya. Later, according to their father, they moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechens. They went over to the US, where one was a naturalized citizen and the other on a valid green card. One of the brothers had complained online about having no American friends, and didn't understand them.

Chechnya was involved in two wars of independence against Russia, and is now heavily patrolled by Russia. During the first war, there was plenty of support in the west for their cause due to antiquated Cold War thinking. Many 'foreign fighters' in Iraq and Afghanistan came from Chechnya, and there are plenty of Al Qaeda links there. The Beslan School hostage crisis/massacre was committed mostly by Chechen Islamist separatists. Freedom House listed Chechnya in 2009 as one of the 'worst of the worst' repressive societies in the world.

I'm assuming their motive had to do with their background. Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Well, they are ethnic Chechens and Muslims born in Chechnya. Later, according to their father, they moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechens. They went over to the US, where one was a naturalized citizen and the other on a valid green card. One of the brothers had complained online about having no American friends, and didn't understand them.

Chechnya was involved in two wars of independence against Russia, and is now heavily patrolled by Russia. During the first war, there was plenty of support in the west for their cause due to antiquated Cold War thinking. Many 'foreign fighters' in Iraq and Afghanistan came from Chechnya, and there are plenty of Al Qaeda links there. The Beslan School hostage crisis/massacre was committed mostly by Chechen Islamist separatists. Freedom House listed Chechnya in 2009 as one of the 'worst of the worst' repressive societies in the world.

I'm assuming their motive had to do with their background. Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?

IMO, this was an operation conducted by radical extremists working outside the framework of an established terrorist organization. You look at the rudimentary nature of their explosive devices and the lack of an escape plan after the attack. If the attack was being coordinated by an actual terrorist organization, you would have likely seen more elaborate bombs and the militants would have likely either martyred themselves in the original attack or have staged additional attacks while trying to evade authorities.

Based off my experience, this operation seems pretty bush-league. Maybe the older brother got some guidance from Islamic militants when he returned to live in Chechnya (although even this would surprise me), but I would be pretty surprised if this attack was being coordinated by AQ or any of their affiliate organizations.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?

My uninformed sense is that these two were disgruntled and felt isolated (or made themselves so) and lashed out. Religion and/or culture, if they play a part, were merely excuses.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
My uninformed sense is that these two were disgruntled and felt isolated (or made themselves so) and lashed out. Religion and/or culture, if they play a part, were merely excuses.

It's sad that the media really have latched on to their ethnicity. It was never questioned if James Holmes was of Irish or Scotish decent. The horror or if Adam Lanza had family ties to some other mostly Caucasian European nation.

A family member of mine who is an American put a picture up on Facebook of a Tshirt for sale that said: "America" Hide and Seek Champs" "You can run but you cant hide" And on either side of the silhouetted trophy was a picture of Bin Laden and a picture of the 19 year old kid from Boston. He had commented: "We Win!!!"

I was like really? Is this humourous? I lost it. He tried to scold me for my sensitivities. I tried to ask who the real winner was as I was confused. Unreal.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
IMO, this was an operation conducted by radical extremists working outside the framework of an established terrorist organization. You look at the rudimentary nature of their explosive devices and the lack of an escape plan after the attack. If the attack was being coordinated by an actual terrorist organization, you would have likely seen more elaborate bombs and the militants would have likely either martyred themselves in the original attack or have staged additional attacks while trying to evade authorities.

Based off my experience, this operation seems pretty bush-league. Maybe the older brother got some guidance from Islamic militants when he returned to live in Chechnya (although even this would surprise me), but I would be pretty surprised if this attack was being coordinated by AQ or any of their affiliate organizations.

It's certainly looking like they were just lone wolfing it. Like you said, they didn't commit suicide in the attack. Obviously they had no escape plan and inexplicably hung out in the Boston area for days. It's like they assumed they had gotten away with it, saw their faces in the media and panicked and had no Plan B. I'm not sure why they killed the campus cop, or why they claimed to be the marathon bombers to their carjacking victim, or for that matter allowed their victim to escape. The whole thing has bush-league written all over it.

If it was AQ, they scraped the bottom of the barrel to find these bozos. I think it was telling that AQ didn't claim responsibility for the attack. I doubt there was any real link here too.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It's sad that the media really have latched on to their ethnicity. It was never questioned if James Holmes was of Irish or Scotish decent. The horror or if Adam Lanza had family ties to some other mostly Caucasian European nation.

A family member of mine who is an American put a picture up on Facebook of a Tshirt for sale that said: "America" Hide and Seek Champs" "You can run but you cant hide" And on either side of the silhouetted trophy was a picture of Bin Laden and a picture of the 19 year old kid from Boston. He had commented: "We Win!!!"

I was like really? Is this humourous? I lost it. He tried to scold me for my sensitivities. I tried to ask who the real winner was as I was confused. Unreal.

It wasn't just ethnicity, they were born in Chechnya, moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechen. If you paid any attention to world events you'd know that Chechnya is a terrorist hotbed.

As for the T-shirt, who cares? The Americans picked the low hanging fruit with this capture, let them have their gloating moment.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wouldn't be surprised if the younger brother just got sucked along by the older radical brother.

If thats the case, why not turn himself in right away, explain the situation, and he might not get life in prison or death.

The penalty could have been lowered, now there is an officer also dead, more hurt people, and a giant **** show.

No sympathy.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
If thats the case, why not turn himself in right away, explain the situation, and he might not get life in prison or death.

The penalty could have been lowered, now there is an officer also dead, more hurt people, and a giant **** show.

No sympathy.

He wasn't going to get his penalty lowered by turning himself in. He carried one of the backpack bombs. I'm just surprised that they didn't make plans for a getaway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad