OT: Two Explosions @ Boston Marathon: Suspect #2 in Custody MOD WARNING IN OP

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
2126: Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old Rhode Island state trooper, had just finished the race and donned a heat blanket when he heard the first blast. "I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor,'' he tells AP.

2126: Mr Bastajian adds: "We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated... At least 25-30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing.''

If there is one thing I admire about the U.S.A, it is the heroes of there emergence services, when every one else runs away from danger (and so they should) these guys do not think twice about running straight towards it, true heroes

yoss

May 25, 2011
If there is one thing I admire about the U.S.A, it is the heroes of there emergence services, when every one else runs away from danger (and so they should) these guys do not think twice about running straight towards it, true heroes

Well said, I agree. My heart goes out to the victims. Just sad that this happens.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
One of the Two victims is an 8-year old.

Jesus.

wow I just found out it now RIP.........innocent child get killed for no reason....hope they catch the people responsible and punish them hard! This is a sad day in Boston. I would think that US consider this an act of terrorism

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
I just cannot believe that an event as inspiring to the moral soul and spirit like a marathon, is still vulnerable to senseless tragedy like this :shakehead

TheDiver*

My thoughts and prayers to evryone in Boston, and to any of you who have friends and relatives impacted by this tragic event.

Watching the Canuck game in Nashville...class move by the Preds with a moment of silence.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Best wishes from Tampa. Obviously not only Bostonians injured with this attack, but still wish you guys the best all the same. Tired of this stuff happening

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Terrible stuff. On a side note, can 1040 please stop tweeting that Rintoul is ok? Seriously nobody gives a **** outside of his immediate family. I don't mean offense but I'm more affected by the death of an 8 yr old than Rintoul.

Hope they publicly execute whoever is responsible

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Oh ****... :facepalm:

If this is the work of Islamic terrorists, this country is going to have a nervous breakdown. Please let it be dumb white people who did this.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Not that it's any better, really, but the backlash against a domestic entity is almost preferable to how many are going to be tarred with the same brush if "foreigners" are involved.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I just cannot believe that an event as inspiring to the moral soul and spirit like a marathon, is still vulnerable to senseless tragedy like this :shakehead

It seems pretty believable to me. If someone is going to send a message, or try and get a message across, they're going to do just that.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Oh ****... :facepalm:

If this is the work of Islamic terrorists, this country is going to have a nervous breakdown. Please let it be dumb white people who did this.

I'm surprised that nobody has claimed responsibility yet. It's making me wonder if it was not the usual suspects this time.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
You know those days when you could really use a hug? This is one of those days....:(

Bless all those civilians that ran into the chaos to help the injured.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I predict it was homegrown and domestic. Something along the lines ultra right wing ... Tea party.

I highly doubt it's Tea Party. They may be a party of the rich masquerading as a grass-roots populist movement, but they are merely a political movement, not terrorists. White supremacists or a radical cult maybe, but their 'message' is lost if they don't claim responsibility. A North Korean operation is a possibility too, although a very remote one. DPRK routinely denies involvement in covert attacks, but they are generally more interested in South Korean and Japanese targets. I still think that Al Qaeda is the most likely source, but it's interesting that they haven't taken credit for the attack yet, so I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't them either.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I highly doubt it's Tea Party. They may be a party of the rich masquerading as a grass-roots populist movement, but they are merely a political movement, not terrorists. White supremacists or a radical cult maybe, but their 'message' is lost if they don't claim responsibility. A North Korean operation is a possibility too, although a very remote one. DPRK routinely denies involvement in covert attacks, but they are generally more interested in South Korean and Japanese targets. I still think that Al Qaeda is the most likely source, but it's interesting that they haven't taken credit for the attack yet, so I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't them either.
If it was a domestic (ie right wing, KKK, Abortion etc) group it would be a departure from the norm. The only one that comes to mind is 1996 Olympics.

Typically domestic terrorists have targeted specific targets such as govnt buildings, police stations, court houses, abortion clinics and not just random mass casualties

Nothing can be ruled out of course.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
i know killing bin laden wouldn't automatically stop all terrorist threats but....

if this is a terrorist act, are we back to square one?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
i know killing bin laden wouldn't automatically stop all terrorist threats but....

if this is a terrorist act, are we back to square one?

Historically, there's probably a higher likelihood of this being domestic than foreign, but even ignoring that, this shouldn't really change anything. Acts of terrorism are committed throughout the world on a near-daily, if not daily, basis. Beyond symbolism, Bin Laden's death is unlikely to have changed anything about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad